Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much to have hubby feed?

Default How much to have hubby feed?

So our son is 7 weeks old now and we have been formula free for over a week!! Thank you to everyone on this site and my local LLL for helping us realize that we didnt need to be supplementing and for helping us through the rough patches that came with going back to EBF. So my question now is how much/often should my husband feed our son with expressed breast milk? I have to be gone the whole day on april 9th. Ive read the standard is 1-1.5 oz of milk for every hour im gone but how should that be given? 2 oz every hour? 3oz every couple hours? Im worried because our son seems to be hitting a growth spurt and nursing all the time. I dont want to set my hubby up to fail by not leaving enough milk. But my hubby is also still overcoming his tendacy to overfeed at every fussy cue from when we were supplementing and he would feed him into a food coma. So how much is too much is what i guess i need to know? Is 4oz every couple hours too much? So hard to put a number on something that is so naturally regulated!

Default Re: How much to have hubby feed?

All day as in 10 hours? I would leave no more than 15 oz. That's enough to cover the whole day if you nurse before you leave and when you come back.

I would do frequent small meals so hubby feels like baby never gets truly hungry so there won't be much crying. I'd do 5 2 oz servings and 5 1 oz "toppers" so that would work out to feeding every 2 hours. However I'm thinking about my son and what he likes haha he nurses more than average but takes smaller meals. If yours likes bigger spaced out ones then do a 3 oz every 3 hours with a 1 oz "topper" on stand by.

Baby can be cue fed with bottle just as at the breast. In other words, no reason to say "this much every such and such hours." Teach husband the cues if he does not recognize them yet. If you plan to leave bottles in certain amounts, I would suggest each bottle be no more than 2 or at most 3 ounces. Breastmilk left in bottle after baby is done can be put in the fridge for next feeding, so there is absolutely NO NEED to "push" more than baby wants each feeding.

Use paced bottle feeding positioning and method as well. Very important for curbing overfeeding tendency.

One day of "over" OR "Under" feeding is unlikely to cause any issues one way or another. So no need to be as cautious as one would be for regular, frequent separations. Also rather unlikely husband could in any way "fail" - I am sure baby (and husband) will still be alive when you return!

But in my opinion, overly large feedings (over 3 ounces) given infrequently are the most different than breastfeeding and would consequently be the most likely to cause any problems. So like midnightsangel I would instead suggest encouraging more frequent, smaller feedings. Assure husband that sometimes on ounce is all baby wants, and sometimes all baby wants is to be held and comforted.

Bottle feeding breastfed baby : http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

Also I assume you will be pumping that day?
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; April 1st, 2015 at 10:04 AM.

Yes it would be probably about 10 hours. He was definitely overfeeding when we used to supplement as i left for 1.5 hours and he gave him the 3oz of breastmilk i left PLUS 4oz of formula cause baby "was still starving" (this was actually one of the main reasons i knew we had to stop supplementing since it only hurt my supply.) He does know the hunger cues but unfortunately our baby is newly obsessed with putting his hands in his mouth so he always looks hungry to my hubby. So thats why i was thinking more on a semi-schedule. I watched the paced feeding video and its very similar to what our lac consultant showed us so i will have hubby watch for sure. Thank you!

Wow 7 oz in an hour and a half? thats... a lot haha

Okay if you know dad has a tendency to over feed, then it probably is a good idea to leave a limited amount both by leaving only small bottles, about 2 ounces each probably, and not leaving too many of them.

Just make sure there's no formula in the house and he is not going to take the baby out and buy some. Assure him that even if it does indeed turned out that you did not leave "enough", baby will not starve in one day. Of course you will know there actually is enough and baby is fine.