Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about supplementing....

Default Re: Thinking about supplementing....

She was on Zantac, but we took her off of it. On the Zantac she cried inconsolably all the time, and also had some bad gas issues. Without the Zantac she only gets inconsolable after she projectiles, or if she throws up in the back of her mouth. She went from 8 lbs even to 9 lbs 6 oz in a month, which is huge for her. So far her monthly average has been about 12 oz.

Please dont get me wrong, I dont think she's a bother. I was just thinking that her behavior may have been a sign that she wasnt getting full enough.

I know you are not the one who thought your darling child was a bother. I am talking about your mother who overfed your child so she would not bother her. I am really sorry I was not more clear.

Again, supplementing only needed if baby is not able to gain normally breastfed. I am still unclear if that is the case or not, but of course if it is, then supplementing is appropriate. Supplementing does not mean overfeeding. It means, supplementing. But if it is the case that baby cannot gain well breastfed, It is not because "Your milk runs through her." It would be due to her not getting enough milk overall, OR, an underlying healthy issue.

I am not a doctor. But I did have a child who was diagnosed with reflux. A few things I learned was 1) Zantac is not the only game in town and 2) sometimes the dosage is too much or too little and there may be side affects and 2) Not always is meds the appropriate approach.
    Dr. Sears has a good article on GERD you can check out if you have not already. www.askdrsears.com

I think it might be a good idea to go back to the pediatrician and ask about using a different dosage or different medication. I think Prevacid is sometimes used instead?

Worries about baby "not getting enough" are probably as old as humankind. Breastfeeding requires moms to have faith in themselves and their bodies and not try to measure everything all the time... It's hard to operate on that instinctual level, instead of the "there's an app for that" level. KWIM?

YES! I am a very type A "there's an app for that" person. I spend an unreal amount of time reading parenting books, looking at different baby websites, asking other peoples opinions, logging symptoms.... I tend to worry myself sick over nothing. I also put a lot of pressure on myself. DS had reflux, and I wound up having to switch to the added rice formula at 4 1/2 months. He was on Prevacid and Zantac, and we also had to start him on solids early. We were using a different pediatrician then (in a different state), the one we are using now prefers to not medicate unless she really has to. If I remember correctly, DS had to be a certain age before we could be prescribed the prevacid. I'll ask about it at DDs next weight check. I'd hate to have to put DD on the formula too. I keep her upright as often as possible. Really the only time I have her laying flat is for diaper changes....I feel like nothing has really helped so far except the formula, but all the websites say reflux babies are supposed to do better on breastmilk. I feel like if I tell my pediatrician how well she did on the formula she will tell me to go ahead and switch, even though she's one of the more pro BFing pediatricians in the area. However, my LC cant give me advice about the reflux because it's a medical condition. The whole thing is driving me crazy.

^Sorry if that was incoherent, I'm really tired tonight.

I think Type A parents have a rougher than average time with babies. Babies require you to operate on an instinctive level. That's so the opposite of how Type A people like to function!

How about an experiment? As a Type A person, that should appeal to you, right? My thought is that you take a few days and shelve the parenting books, close the baby websites (most of them are complete cr@p anyway), and put the logbooks away. Just focus on being with your baby, nursing as much as possible, cuddling her, wearing her in a sling, napping when she naps, etc. Test the hypothesis that you will both have an easier time if you operate on instinct rather than trying to decipher and record every symptom.

[QUOTE/]Just focus on being with your baby, nursing as much as possible, cuddling her, wearing her in a sling, napping when she naps, etc. Test the hypothesis that you will both have an easier time if you operate on instinct rather than trying to decipher and record every symptom.[/QUOTE]

I tried that recently with my little one . . . .armed with info I'd gained here, from my lc, and some of the books and decided to just nurse when she seemed hungry, even if that meant every hour. Never mind the formula (too hard at this point anyway), most of the criticism and advice. And, although I'll know for sure on Friday when I see her Dr, I think it's working. She seems relatively content, I'm not tearing my hair out (as much), and I'm pretty sure she's gained almost a pound (I have a baby scale). I'm definitely type A as well, but sometimes you just have to breathe. And I decided this week was perfect since she seemed to have a growth spurt and I'm going back to work on Monday. I'm glad you are home with your little one again. You can figure out what works for you!