Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need general anaesthesia -- need to wean??

Default need general anaesthesia -- need to wean??

Hi-
    Before I see my surgeon next week, I wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience....

I need to have my gallbladder removed, which will be done under general anaesthesia. It's been a while since I had anaesthesia, but I seem to recall it's in your system for quite some time.

I do NOT want to wean my son (13 months), but I gave away my breastpump when I quit needing to pump at work (son and breasts finally came to terms).

Any thoughts/ideas/advice much appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: need general anaesthesia -- need to wean??

While this should not be mistaken for medical advice, it is generally okay to nurse baby as soon as you wake up from general anesthesia. Of course you'll want to discuss this issue with your doctor. I would see no reason to wean completely though -- if you needed to you might get a breast pump from the hospital or purchase a $50 Avent Isis so that you can "pump and dump" (although everything I've read on this issue says this is unnecessary).

You can always get the name(s) of the drug(s) you'll be given and find out their Lactation Risk Category as well. Many LLLL's have a copy of Medications and Mother's Milk by Dr. Thomas Hale.

That said, here are some references for you regarding anesthesia & breastfeeding:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/FAQ....html#Surgery: (EDITED TO ADD: Sorry about that - this link discusses when it's okay to nurse a baby after baby has surgery, not mom!).

Anesthetic Medications in Breastfeeding Mothers by Dr. Thomas Hale

Also, these are not approved LLL sources but perhaps you can find some useful information there anyhow:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/anesthetics.html
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/b...,,3x7k,00.html

Good luck - I'm sure weaning is not necessary at all
    Last edited by LLLCarol; February 2nd, 2006 at 04:09 PM.

Smile Re: need general anaesthesia -- need to wean??

Thanks so much for the reassurance! My HMO is generally very supportive of breastfeeding, so I hope I won't encounter too much resistance.

I've ordered Hale's book (wish I'd bought it lots sooner, oh well).

Did you know that Dr. Hale has a website with medication forums where you can look up medications? http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/html...ns_forums.html

He's not accepting new questions right now but he normally accepts questions from LLL Leaders and healthcare professionals

I'm glad I could help!

Jumping in with both feet to add that while Hale isn't taking new questions, you can always read thru the old postings, and will generally find the answer you're looking for there, unless you're dealing with a new medication.

Also see if the hospital has any IBCLCs on staff - they can often be very helpful in coordinating medications and the breastfeeding mom with the surgical staff and doctors doing the anesthesia (I knew I'd really butcher the spelling of that name).

~ameyLLL

Thanks for clarifying, Amey! That's what I meant, LOL! Glad you are joining us. I apparently have a lot of time on my hands which is why I'm here to so much

Good to know, thanks. I'm having a bit of trouble navigating his site, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I have had surgery twice in the past six months with general anesthisia, out for about two hours each time. My dh waited in the waiting room with dd and they were fine, he had snacks and sippy cup for her. He and dd were able to be with me up until they took me into the surgery room for prep. So we were able to nurse beforehand; both times it was same day surgery so we had to check in very early in the morning before she was really awake. Once the surgery was over and I was in the recovery room, alert, dh laid her beside me and we nursed again. We really never missed a beat LOL.
    My big concerns were that she would get tangled in the IV and she didn't, that she might kick my sore tummy and again that was not a problem, she seemed to sense I wasn't real well and was very gentle. I also worried about the medical staff but they never seemed to pay any attention at all to us. I did tell the anesthesiologist each time that I was nursing and there was not any concern.
    When I was able to go home dh was there and took care of both of us. She did seem rather sleepy and wanted to stay in bed with me. I don't think that was the meds but rather that by that time she had had a very busy day.

momuvseven

Thank you for the personal story -- that's very reassuring... and describes exactly what I hope for me, DH, and DS.

I'll post again when I have my own story.

Here's my update: I had my surgery last Friday night. I ended up staying in the hospital overnight; DH did great, though Teddy was apparently Not Happy that Mommy wasn't there to nurse him. They went through our last two bags of frozen milk, which appears to have been just the right amount for the circumstances.

I pumped and dumped once at the hospital (with their super-snazzwah, high-powered pump -- I've never pumped so much!). Teddy was back on the breast as soon as I got home. It's been a little tricky negotiating around my incisions (no more BF smackdowns), but he's done great.

The anesthesiologists, surgeon, and nurses were wonderfully supportive... and so were you. THANK YOU!