Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice please for relactating for 13 week old.

Default Advice please for relactating for 13 week old.

Hello,

It will be a week ago tomorrow that I began relactating for my 13 week old baby. I am using a SNS, pumping every 2-3 hours and taking fenugreek 3 times a day. My milk supply has completely gone, it's been about 9 weeks since this disappeared.
    When I pump I have started to get these yellowish 'crusty dots' on one of my nipples, does anyone know what these are?? I use Lanolin nipple cream and am wondering if it's this being drawn out by the pump before I get excited that it's something else!!
    Is there much chance of me finally getting somewhere with all this pumping?!

Default Re: Advice please for relactating for 13 week old.

Welcome to the forum!

First, what sort of pump are you using? You're pumping at a nice frequency, which is great, but you will maximize production if you are also using a great double electric pump with correctly sized shields. A hospital-grade rental pump would be best.

The "crusty dots" you are seeing are an excellent sign of returning milk production. When milk production ceases, through a process called mammary involution, the watery and carbohydrate fractions of milk decrease markedly, leaving you with milk that is relatively enriched in fat and protein, particularly a protein called lactoferrin. This makes your milk appear thick and yellowish, and in composition it is not that different from colostrum. And if you leaked colostrum during pregnancy, you probably experienced the presence of dried yellowish/brownish crusty dots/flecks on the nipple surface!

Keep on keepin' on, and don't be afraid to feed your baby whatever you can pump out, even if it's very thick and yellow!