Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle advice.. thanks!

Default Bottle advice.. thanks!

My baby boy is 2.5 months old. I am wanting to get him used to taking a bottle so I can work once or twice a week.. I've tried lansinoh momma, avent, and now munchkin latch.. my biggest issue is that he has a bad gag reflex, so i was thinking that maybe there are bottles with shorter nipples?

He does fine latching on me, even with his very minor lip and tongue time... with the bottle he usually latches fine, but then starts gagging on it, he wasn't able to take a pacifier without gagging really bad. With the bottle eventually he'll figure it out right in his mouth, but to begin with he gags a lot, which tends to make him upset.

Any advice is welcome!

Default Re: Bottle advice.. thanks!

Have you tried paced bottle feeding method? This allows baby to control the milk flow, so, less gagging due to too much milk at once, you could even let baby decide how much nipple goes into the mouth if that is the problem. This technique can be done with any bottle.

Another option that works well in many cases is cup feeding.

Here is more info and videos.

Paced bottle feeding and bottle feeding the breastfed baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Paced bottle feeding video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

Cup feeding video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R95FUa7_s84

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    Have you tried paced bottle feeding method? This allows baby to control the milk flow, so, less gagging due to too much milk at once, you could even let baby decide how much nipple goes into the mouth if that is the problem. This technique can be done with any bottle.

Another option that works well in many cases is cup feeding.

Here is more info and videos.

Paced bottle feeding and bottle feeding the breastfed baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Paced bottle feeding video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

Cup feeding video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R95FUa7_s84
    I'm only trying one ounce at a time and I'm doing my best to let him stick it in his mouth.

My baby doesn't seem to gag but she's picky about taking the bottle so I've had to syringe feed her at times. I'm not sure if they are short nipples in comparison to what you mentioned but she will take Dr Brown's and medela nipples. There are nipples supposedly more like the breast but I can't remember what they are called and don't know if they are really any better. I will see if I can find the name.

Comotomo, mimijumo, and playtex breast like nipple all say they are for bf babies. I don't really know, however, as I haven't tried them. I also don't know if they are available in stores, but Amazon has them.

My dd had a hard time with bottles at first. I was really focused on the gagging thing too. I kept thinking, "if I could just find a short enough nipple. . ." It turned out that bottle type and nipple size/shape did not matter. Once she was ready she did fine, equally with all the different types. In hindsight, I think she choked because she was fighting it.
    I stressed so much about this and taught her caregivers cup feeding (which she hated) too just in case. I was convinced she'd be upset and hungry away from me all day. It turned out that they figured it out. Dad had his own approach to get her to accept the bottle, thr sitter a different approach. They both did follow paced bottle feeding. I could never give her a bottle and she never took one except when I was at work.
    What helped me was a backup plan. I was close enough that I could go to her if she needed me to. Also, she was brought to me at lunchtime. Oh, the wasted worry, effort and money trying different bottles all unnecessary. We mostly used the bottles that came with my medela pump in style.

I agree with MaddieB that cup feeding could be the route. Another perspective: babies are smart. They will know that mama is not around to give a first-class dining service. So a baby with a caregiver will either take a cup or bottle or will might decide to use the time away as a fasting period (which usually occurs during long sleeps) and reserve eating time with mama. This switch feeding could also be temporary, and with gentle and consistent offers of a bottle or cup by a caregiver baby might decide to feed during this time. My children both balked a little at first and didn't drink a lot of milk, but quickly adapted and would take bottles at crèche.

Honestly I never attempted bottle feeding my bf children, and my preschoolers both took their first bottles at crèche and did fine. With my firstborn we tried Playtex bottles and Medela bottles (NAYY to both), both with the smallest opening to mimic the slow flow that bfing gives. DD's caregiver told us DD liked the Medela version better, so we stocked up on Medela. When our second child went into crèche he went with the Medela bottles and it was fine. So you might find that your baby will quickly adapt even if you never give her a bottle or cup before leaving her with a caregiver. Would your caregiver be willing to do some babywearing or something like that to soothe baby, and then offer a bottle while wearing LO? Because a stressed baby is more likely to refuse a bottle. Just an idea!
    Katharine in Belgium
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    DD2 Feb 2015 - natural birth VBAC with DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

A friend of mine who breastfeeds says the Tommee Tippee bottles are good for bf babies. My baby had a tongue and lip tie, and a VERY sensitive gag reflex as a result - some of the suck training exercises helped desensitize her reflex a bit (though we revised her ties, as they were more severe), so part of this one might help you:
    You start by "tickling" baby's upper lip to get her to open mouth wide, then stick your finger in nail side down and allow baby to suck (basically imitating latching on). I would just gradually put my finger farther and farther back each time we did the exercises, pulling back out to the last finger lengh try if she gagged, and of course once we got to the "sweet spot" I didn't go any further but kept letting her suck my finger for a few days after to make sure she was fully de sensitized. There's more to the exercise than that, but just getting your finger back there will help desensitize him. I'm curious - does he have a shallow latch? Mine would always gag even on my nipple at first if she got a deep latch because she had such a sensitive gag reflex.

I will say, she didn't respond as well to me (wouldn't suck much) as she did my husband - I think she just wasn't interested in sucking on my finger when she knew I had the "goods!" =) Also, I was very careful never to do the exercises when she was hungry or keep doing them if she got upset, as I didn't want her to develop any sort of nursing aversion.