Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tongue/Lip tie- to attempt second release months later?

Default Tongue/Lip tie- to attempt second release months later?

My baby is 4.5 months old. At 3 weeks age she had her frenulum and lip tie released . At that point she was having a hard time with the flow, very gassy, fussing at the breast, and her top lip didn't curl out.

A month after the procedure I noticed that they both seemed to grow back. However, she was gaining weight and I was a bit traumatized by the procedure and didn't want to take her back for second time.

I'm finding that this week my nipples are sore. She seems to have a hard time 'keeping suction' while latched and often it sounds like she is swallowing air/gulping while nursing. Now that she is older she is also moving her head around quite a bit more, and that doesn't help with losing suction. Her top lip still doesn't curl out. Ive also posted earlier about my concerns with supply, and I'm wondering if this is a factor?

At her 4 month check-up her weight was good, 75th percentile.

I'm contemplating whether its worth having the tongue/lip tie release done again. My concern is that breastfeeding will become increasingly more difficult as she grows if this issue is of significance.

Has anyone heard of this procedure being done at this age? Is it MORE traumatizing to baby because they are older? It breaks my heart to think of this being done to her, but if it means that she nurses longer into her life then I feel that it may be worth it?

Default Re: Tongue/Lip tie- to attempt second release months later?

Lip and tongue ties can be released at any time. In fact, my older kid's lip tie was discovered by the dentist when she was 8 and her incisors were coming in with a gap between them, and he nonchalantly recommended waiting to see if the tie continued to be a problem and releasing it if it was.

I know someone who had her tongue and lip ties released in childhood and she said it was very traumatic- she ended up with infections and it was "pretty awful". But I don't know if that is a typical experience! If you are considering having your child's tie(s) released, I think it makes sense to have a long discussion about infection control and potential complications.

It seems to me that if you have already had your baby's ties released, it makes sense to be conservative about having them released again. If your baby is able to nurse well enough that she's in the 75th %ile for weight, it's very unlikely that ties will cause her problems with feeding. Most babies get better at nursing as they get older, irrespective of the presence of ties. Furthermore, the issues you are seeing could be due to the ties but at 4.5 months could also be caused by distractibility, teething, weird baby quirks... Soreness concerns me but it could also be chalked up to causes other than ties- for example, getting your period back, baby soothing her sore gums on your nipple, a new pregnancy (???).

also what about thrush?

I would suggest a complete breastfeeding evaluation if that is possible.

I contacted the place who did the initial procedure, they said that they will reassess if we wish and make a decision from there.

I guess it could be the distractibility, she is pulling off a lot. It wouldn't be pregnancy, maybe return of menses but I doubt it.

We both had thrush in the early days, and this is different. So I don't think thats the problem?

I might wait it out a bit and see if things improve. Like you said mommal, as of now her weight is not a concern so that is reassuring. Our small community lacks in the availability of breastfeeding support.. so I'm thankful to have some here

I think taking some time to see if this resolves is an excellent idea! I know it can be nerve-wracking. My oldest has a lip tie and had such a bad latch as an infant that I ended up with terrible cracks and low supply. I had to pump and supplement for several months, and the experience left me really worried about supply. But even though we never had the tie corrected- we didn't know it existed until the dentist picked up on it when she was 7- as she got bigger and more adept she was able to achieve a better latch despite the tie and maintain supply on her own, without me needing to pump.

Could she possibly be teething? My LO, now 5.5 months, had tongue/lip ties revised at 6 weeks, still doesn't have a great latch, but this past week or two she's been teething and ouch! She's pulling/tugging quite a bit and sucking differently somehow, I'm guessing all because of her discomfort. It's not comfortable for me at all! I'm trying to wait it out, too, to see if she will get back to normal.

And mommal, it's nice to hear latch can improve as they get older! Even though the doc who did her revision says her frenulum looks good, she still latches more shallowly and top lip doesn't flange much (I've tried everything).

It could definitely be the beginning of teething. She's quite drooly and chewing on her hands a ton. She's also constantly sucking on her hands and toys which makes me question if she's still hungry.. but who knows.
    mamma7008 it was the same thing after my daughters tongue/lip tie release. They said that it was successful but the latch didn't improve that much. They kept saying it would improve over time as she relearned how to use those muscles.

Oh the first thing I thought of was teething! My baby got his first two teeth at 5 months so it's very possible yours is teething right now. My baby's top lip never curled outward until he was about a year old. The doctor wasn't concerned about his lip tie and it didn't bother us too much. We did have his tongue-tie snipped, though, at 5 months. I definitely found things got better with time. These days it's nothing like it was 5 months ago, and 5 months before that! Even though he's had the tongue-tie fixed a year ago!
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/