Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Short feeding gassy baby. Getting desperate!!

Post Short feeding gassy baby. Getting desperate!!

Hi Everyone,

I am a FTM and my baby girl is 6 weeks old now. I have oversupply with forceful letdown. My baby was diagnosed with foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. My poor LO Is miserable with gas and bloating. She couldn't sleep and you can feel her stomach churns. She would doze off only to wake up screaming in pains. The only way to get her to sleep in on her stomach on top of me or my husband (I'm afraid to let her sleep on her stomach in the crib) We tried little tummy gas drop which help but only lasted about 2 hours or so. The gripe water seems to help immediately but 10 mins later she would scream in argonize pains. We tried the gripe water twice and same reaction both time so I stop using gripe water. My LC recommend block feeding. I did the block feeding for 7 days (3 feeding per breast) which help bring my oversupply down some. I still pump for 2-3 mins before switch side to help her get the hindmilk ( I get 2-3oz of foremilk in those 2-3 mins of pumping) At the in person consult the LC concerns that since LO is only 6 weeks old she doesn't want me to diminish my supply too much. She suggest to stop block feeding or reduce to 2 feeding per side. It seems like it been helping. I nurse her roughly every two hours. Is it ok that a 6 weeks old still eat every two hourse? My LC seems shock when I said she feed every two hours but didn't say anything. However now I hit another wall. She only wants to nurse for 5-10 mins on the boob she would unlatch or fall asleep. I would burp her and offer the same breast again but she would squirm around. Then 30-1hr later she would start rooting. I know she wants to nurse because her belly is bothering her which is fine but now she would hold on to my nipple fell asleep. This cause a shallow latch and result in my nipple being raw and very sore. If I unlatch her she would startle herself awake 5-10 mins later screaming. I tried infant massage which sometime help but not completely. I don't know what to do. I feel so helpless and frustrated. It break my heart seeing her scream like that. When she woke up startling she is inconsolable unless I nurse her. She won't take a pacifier or my finger or knuckle. Those seem to piss her off even more. What should I do? I still pump everytime I switch side when I can but I know that only make more milk. I'm so anxious EVERYTIME she wants to nurse even when she is asleep because I want to wake up before to have time to pump. Please help!!
    P.s when she done nursing my breast does feel softer but not empty(i know breast can't ever be empty but relatively speaking) I'm concerns that my breast feel softer because it was engore before and she just mostly gotten the foremilk. We did a pre and post weight she ate about 3oz

Default Re: Short feeding gassy baby. Getting desperate!!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby and on making it to 6 weeks of nursing!

The first thing to know about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance is that it's pretty much the biggest non-issue in breastfeeding. It's not bad for a baby to consume more foremilk than hindmilk, and it doesn't mean that your baby is getting a poor diet or a diet which doesn't have enough fat in it. It might make her more gassy and more uncomfortable than average, but babies are typically gassy and fussy creatures regardless of their diet.

The second thing to know about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance is that it is pretty much exclusively a product of oversupply. Take care of the oversupply and the problem- such as it is- will vanish.

Your LC gave you excellent guidance about how to handle this issue. Block feeding takes care of oversupply, and once the oversupply is pretty much managed it is best to stop the block feeding and simply let time and baby's demand fine-tune your supply. There are a few more things you could be doing at this point, which are:
    1. Avoid the pump. Every time you pump, you are telling your body to continue to make excess milk.
    2. Continue to feed very frequently. There is nothing surprising about a 6 week-old baby wanting to eat every 2 hours. Many babies nurse more frequently than that! Frequent nursing is particularly useful when mom has oversupply because it prevents the breast from getting too full. The more full the breast is, the more foremilk the baby consumes and the faster the letdown is going to be. So please do not try to "hold baby off" or "stretch out" the time in between nursing sessions. It will just make you and baby more miserable.
    3. Do not worry about fast feedings. 5-10 minute nursing sessions are entirely normal when mom has oversupply, as babies learn how to stop nursing as soon as their tummies are full. This is a good thing, as it means your baby knows how to keep herself from getting too full and uncomfortable.
    4. Try using reclined nursing positions. Reclined positions enlist gravity to slow milk flow to the baby. Slowing down milk flow means less gulping of air and less gas, and reduces the baby's need to control milk flow by adopting a shallow and painful latch.

EDIT: (Ok I am probably repeating mommal here, but I wrote this whole thing so I will post it )

Hi. I also had overproduction and fast letdown with all my kids. So I understand your concerns. However, I think you may be getting some confusing ideas from somewhere.

First, please be aware that while severe overproduction and the accompanying fast letdown might cause baby to have more gas and to be overly fussy, and of course can lead to mom having engorgement, it is NOT a disease that a child can be diagnosed with. There is no such thing as a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance "diagnoses." You do not need to worry about your baby getting "enough" hindmilk, ever. That is not the problem. A baby who got nothing but foremilk, if that were even likely (which it is not) would still be healthy and gain fine. The issue is when there is fast letdown that creates an overabundance of lactose into baby all at once. Lactose is healthy and something your baby very much needs. But If you have a fast letdown, baby may be getting more of this than she can handle easily all at once, but please know that the gas and discomfort, while upsetting for everyone, is not harming her, and does not cause any actual damage to your baby. ALL of your milk is good for your baby.

Everything you describe as far as feeding frequency, preferring to nurse on one side, and short nursing sessions is normal for a baby whose mom has some overproduction going on. Some things (Like nursing every 2 hours (and more often) & sleeping best on mom or dad's chest ) are entirely normal for any baby this age. Of course it is not recommended to have baby on tummy in crib or wherever when baby is unsupervised. But baby on tummy snuggled secure on your chest or dad's chest is fine and where most newborns prefer to "live."

If your baby wants to nurse more often than every two hours, let her. In fact, I would suggest encourage it. Nursing very frequently reduces the fast flow that usually comes with overproduction and makes nursing much more comfortable for baby and will reduce the lactose overload immediately. The nursing pain you have may be from baby reacting to that fast flow. Also, the frequent nursing is good for you too as it helps prevent the engorgement that usually accompanies overproduction. (and can cause breast pain and a poor latch) Even if you are block feeding, it is a important to nurse very often!

What positions and latch techniques are you trying to help baby latch more comfortably? Have you tried laid back for helping baby handle that fast flow?

I am unclear why you are pumping at all? This is of course going to increase milk production.

Please see this article about block nursing. It is vital that baby be gaining very rapidly and for some other criteria to be met or block nursing may not be appropriate. When it is appropriate, it is important to do it properly and not for too long. http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/tag/block-feeding

Laid back for fast flow:http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...-breastfeeding

I guess 'diagnosed' wasn't a correct term to use but hindmilk/foremilk imbalance is what the LC told me my LO has. I was pumping a little to get rid of some the foremilk (I pumped 3oz of foremilk in 3 mins) to help ease the symptoms. The goal was to pump less and less everyday until I don't have to pump anymore. I am just so worry about her being in pains. She would be sleeping and suddenly woke up screaming her head off. When we hold her she would be fine then we feel her stomach churn and she would scream. The gas then subside and she would ease off then another wave would it and it would start all over again.
    She gained 22oz in two weeks so the LC was ok with my block feeding. I have stop black feeding and the over active let down has significant improved but her stomach issues is still the same. My friend told me I should consider put her on lactose free formula. It has helped her kid (with the same symptoms) and my mom is pressuring me to supplementing and/or feed her with lactose free formula as well. Any idea when their stomach issues would improve.

Also: I nurse her in sideline position and we tried laid back nursing as well. This position sometime work sometime doesn't but side line work great for us.

Hi ok, the only reason I wanted to clarify that is because sometimes moms hear 'imbalance" and (understandably) think that means something is wrong with their milk or the milk is somehow harmful to baby. There isn't and it isn't.

If a baby is reacting to something in moms milk, this does not mean eliminate lactose. Babies need lactose to live and grow. That is why it is in breastmilk in the first place. Nature made breastmilk just for babies and it has only exactly what babies need and nothing else. And your breastmilk is specifically made for your baby. If a baby was not capable of tolerating lactose, a condition so rare it is almost unheard of, baby would be exceedingly ill- dying. Your baby is not dying. Your baby is growing like mad and thus, clearly healthy.

When a special formula is needed for a formula feeding baby, it is usually because baby is reacting to the food proteins from dairy or soy that are found in almost all regular formula. Again, even then, lactose is not the problem. Also, if a mom has overproduction and stops nursing and starts bottles, the elimination of the fast letdown- the lactose OVERLOAD, too much foremilk all at once- it can sometimes lead to what appears to be improvement- but at a real and provable cost to the child's health and the moms health, for their lifetime.

Putting your healthy and gaining well breastfed baby on any formula, lactose free or not, dairy free or not, or soy free or not, is a very serious decision with known, proven health consequences. A baby who is gaining well breastfed NEVER needs one DROP of formula. Would you give your healthy normal child medicine for a fever when he does not have a fever? If a baby is breastfed, they are being fed normally. Formula is medicine for unwell or under-gaining babies who cannot gain well without it, because they cannot get enough milk.

In short, the problem is not your milk. If you want to keep breastfeeding, I suggest, ask your helpers to support your decision and to stop undermining you by pushing supplements on a baby who clearly needs no supplements.

Now, SOME babies, a tiny percentage, react to dairy or soy in moms diet. An even smaller percentage react to something else. But if baby is reacting to something in your diet, it is probably dairy or soy.

EXPERTS- DOCTORS agree that the best way to handle suspected reactions to something in mom' s diet is for mom to eliminate the suspected allergen from her diet. Putting baby on formula is NOT recommended. If you eliminate dairy and soy from your diet for several days, and see SOME improvement, you can continue with that elimination and see what happens. If you see no improvement after several days, the issue is not dairy or soy and you can put it back in your diet. Please note I do not think your baby has a dairy or soy issue or any food based issue. It is possible of course, but all symptoms point to overproduction/fast letdown.

An unhealthy baby does not gain like gangbusters as your baby is doing. Fussiness and gassiness and gurgling tummies are NORMAL in the newborn period. Based on the weight gain and the issues you are having, I think there is clear overproduction and block nursing was a good call. But as you see, it does not reduce the gassiness and fussiness immediately. It takes a little time to reduce an overabundant milk production by block nursing.

Block nursing may have helped if you gave it more time, but perhaps the pumping counteracted the purpose of the block feeding. Pumping prior to a feeding may reduce the fast flow, it is true. It can help in some cases definitely. But it is really hard to do this without increasing the milk production more and thus counteracting what you are trying to do with the block nursing. Basically, pumping at this point may not helping and should be kept to a minimum as needed for engorgement I would suggest. If you want to try to block nurse again, see the article I linked above.

ON the other hand, if things are better NOT block nursing, then no need to block nurse. Instead, I suggest, keep trying to nurse frequently, maybe one side at a time(?) but more frequently overall. Frequent feedings are almost always the fastest cure for fast letdown and the issues you are seeing. Personally I never block fed.

Nurse in whatever position(s) works for you and keep experimenting as you like. The laid back position and sidelying both seem to work well when there is fast letdown.

the most important thing to remember is these issues are usually very temporary. you are at the peak milk production time right now. Your milk production will calm down and these problems will abate- usually, even if you do nothing, as long as you stop increasing production by pumping much.

Here is info on food allergies in the breastfed baby for your info. Written by doctors for doctors. http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

short AAP info on infant feeding: http://www2.aap.org/breastfeeding/Po...stfeeding.html

hope this helps.

Couldn't more with MaddieB!

I just want to re-emphasize that putting a healthy baby on lactose-free formula is a terrible idea. Not a "this might be bad" idea, or a "I personally wouldn't do that" idea- a TERRIBLE idea. Milk contains lactose because babies need lactose, particularly for brain development (see http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...in-development). Lactose-free formula is for babies with life-threatening metabolic disorders, see http://kellymom.com/health/baby-heal...e-intolerance/.

Another useful link on lactose-free formula and why it's not a sensible intervention: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...e-free-formula

One thing that has been found to help babies with symptoms attributed to gas or intestinal discomfort is probiotic supplements, which help establishing a healthy gut microflora and can ease digestive difficulties. Have you tried this approach?

Thank you ladies for all of your responds. It's so good to be reminded that this is temporary and will get better. Just when my LO one cry I just feel like this will never end.
    I am back on block feeding however shorter than last time. Two feeding pre side instead of three. Hopefully this will help calm my milk supply down a bit and help ease her intestinal discomfort.

I am determined to breastfeed as long as I can. It's just hard when she is crying in pain and unhelpful suggestion from people around make me doubt myself and feel like there is something wrong with my milk.
    The probiotic supplement. How should I go about doing that? Thanks again for all your input and encouragement.

The crying stage is REALLY hard. But it also doesn't last. Young babies cry because it's the only way they can communicate. Older babies start to be able to communicate a desire to nurse or a disconfort without screaming their heads off. The reason crying hurts you so much is that it's designed to. Throughout human history, successful moms have been the ones who take their babies' cries seriously. A mom who wasn't bothered by her child's cries would be more likely to be neglectful, because the cries wouldn't motivate her to try to solve her baby's problem.

Probiotic powder can be put into pumped milk, delivered by finger tip, or rubbed on the nipple before nursing.

I have a theory that babies come from Heaven and sometimes they are really upset about making the transition to earth!
    D 1995
    C 1996
    A 1998
    B 2012