Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding in Public

Default Breastfeeding in Public

I have been breastfeeding my 11 week old daughter from day one using a special breastfeeding pillow - "My Breast Friend". Now I am addicted to it and can't seem to figure out how to breastfeed without using it! I would like to be more mobile but I can't figure out how to hold my daughter more upright so that I can feed away from home. Do any of you have websites that you can direct me to so that I can see how to hold my baby vertically? Thanks so much in advance!

Default Re: Breastfeeding in Public

Hi! It can be tricky to BF without your special pillow...I used my Boppy all the time when DS was new. You can still BF with your LO horizontally, just need to get creative. You can hold her up, but this may make your arms very tired! You can try a sling to help keep her at the right level. You can use other things to help prop her up, like your diaper bag, any pillows you can find, like if you are on a couch, the arm of a chair. If you are sitting on the floor you can bring your knees up to prop baby's head up. Practice at home, try different things.

I don't know of any websites with pics, but that would be cool! I'm sure other mamas will post with other ideas.
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

What hold are you using? We had to use the cross cradle hold for a long time to get latched on, but then I could switch to the cradle hold which made things easier. I would definitely try sitting on the floor with your back against a wall and your knees up--I found that to be an easier position than some others.

Quote Originally Posted by jennyjq8 View Post
    If you are sitting on the floor you can bring your knees up to prop baby's head up.
    This is what I always do. It's the only thing that worked since I weaned myself off the Boppy.

I use the cross cradle hold now but will start practicing without the pillow and see how that goes. The one time that I tried it last week I coudn't get a good latch...but...practice makes perfect, right?!

I got one of these smaller nursing pillows for nip. But sometimes I just sit on the floor and pull my knees up like the pp said!

I have the same problem. I am addicted to "my breast friend". I have tried different positions without it and I just can't get comfortable.
    I have tried using the diaper bag as a substitute but my wrist would get sore from holding DS hips and legs since his whole body doesn't fit on the diaper bag.
    The only thing that is sort of working is crossing my legs and have DS sitting on my top leg, while I hold my breast (same side as the top leg) with the opposite hand, Not as good as "my breast friend", but it's helped me get out more.

I nursed 7 babies successfully without any aides, whether at home or in public... however, I used a boppy for my last 2 and I don't know how I lived without it. I just take it with me everywhere I go! I cram it into the bottom of the stroller or just have one of the kids tote it along for me

i agree with pulling up legs. that really helps. Also i usually have a thickish kind of fleece blanket with me and if you fold that into a roll it really works like a pillow. have you ever tried straddling your LO on your leg (she would be sitting basically) and nursing that way. It's great for NIP.
    best of luck

I have been attempting to feed my little girl w/o the use of my special breastfeeding pillow but I have not had a lot of luck. My LO is really squirmy (she moves her head around too much as she gets excited to feed) so it is really hard for me to get her to latch on properly. I am going to try the smaller breastfeeding pillow suggested. Hopefully, it will let me be more mobile!