Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply to Undersupply?

Default Oversupply to Undersupply?

Background: 6 month old baby girl is doing great. I used to have an oversupply and have been block feeding for the last several months. One breast per feeding, feeding about every 3 hours. At work I only pump one side at a time, also every three hours. For the last two months I would pump between 3-5.5oz at each session (that's from only one breast). And I would be able to keep up with demand. Often with excess to put in the freezer at the end of the week.

Current Situation: Currently (last 2 weeks) my daughter is drinking more throughout the day from the bottle (with nanny) than I am pumping at work. Last week I started a new diet and saw a decrease in supply which I quickly remedied by going back to my regular diet, but my supply has not rebounded. I am now falling behind. I am only getting 2-4oz per pumping session, and my daughter's nanny had to dip into my frozen stash (which I have plenty of (60+oz), so I'm not too stressed... but I'd like to keep my current supply up obviously)

Questions:
    Should I stop block pumping? i.e. should I pump both sides at each session? If I pump both sides, should I also offer both sides during nursing sessions?

My daughter usually eats very quickly, she eats in about 5-8 minutes (has done that since about 3 months) and now she unlatches and starts blowing raspberries (it's adorable...) I'm not sure if she'd be interested in trying the second side even if offered.

I've thought I might also ask the nanny to not offer a bottle if she knows I'm going to be there soon... like yesterday she fed her a 2.5oz bottle at 5:00 and I got there at 5:20.

I'd love to hear how other navigated oversupply turning to an undersupply!

Or, you can all just tell me I don't need to worry and just keep doing what I'm doing... haha

Default Re: Oversupply to Undersupply?

My understanding is black feeding is only supposed to be done for a limited time. I'm not sure how he that translates to pumping tho. But I wouldn't continue to block feed if you have supply issues. You can definitely over block feed and damage supply.

I would offer both sides and not sweat it if baby isn't interested.

Are bottles being given in a paced manner to minimise flow preference and prevent overfeeding? It may be this will help you keep up!

Default Re: Oversupply to Undersupply?

Last week I started a new diet and saw a decrease in supply
    This happened to me too. Grrr!! My DD is 10 months old and I am so tired of these last 5ish pounds of baby weight. But as soon as I buckled down and cleaned up my eating habits, my supply dropped. So frustrating.

Should I stop block pumping? i.e. should I pump both sides at each session? If I pump both sides, should I also offer both sides during nursing sessions?
    I think yes and yes. Frankly, I personally would never block pump unless it aggravated your oversupply situation to a level that caused difficulties for your baby. I figure, if you're going to pump might as well do both boobs.

My daughter usually eats very quickly, she eats in about 5-8 minutes (has done that since about 3 months) and now she unlatches and starts blowing raspberries (it's adorable...) I'm not sure if she'd be interested in trying the second side even if offered.
    It never hurts to offer.

I've thought I might also ask the nanny to not offer a bottle if she knows I'm going to be there soon... like yesterday she fed her a 2.5oz bottle at 5:00 and I got there at 5:20.
    Absolutely you should make this request. If baby is frantically hungry nanny could offer 1/2 to 1 ounce or solids (if you've started those yet).

I'd love to hear how other navigated oversupply turning to an undersupply!
    I think you're totally on the right track...back to the old way of eating, double pump, offer both sides and coordinate timing of feeds with nanny. You should be just fine.