Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breastfeeding all night! Help!

Default Re: Breastfeeding all night! Help!

Thank you Yana.yana for the blog advice.

Hi mama7008! Thank you for your feedback. I am a SAHM for now. Right now I am laying with him the whole time when he naps. He sleeps in 20 minute intervals. Sometimes I can nurse him back to sleep and he will do 2-3 cycles. It does make it impossible to get anything done and I feel like I'm not giving my 13 year old a 100 percent in her homeschooling. Like you, I know it's temporary and I do love our cuddle time.

The reflux medicine has been changed twice. My oldest daughter had it and unfortunately I've found the medicine doesn't really work as far as taking it away but sometimes will just help with some of the discomfort. I have him sleep on a slight incline and I try different breastfeeding positions to help but it's just something he has to grow out of.

I do love the baby stage and I don't want it to end but some sleep would be nice for both of us. My main concern is him. I think his crankiness could be due to his sleep or lack of. The advice is great and appreciated. I want to make sure I'm doing all I can for him to be a happy and healthy baby.

Sorry if I wasn't being too clear in my post - I couldn't even lay baby down beside me (she would wake up immediately), so I had to sit up and nurse her through the entire nap (side lying position has never worked for us). She would occasionally "fall off" and stay asleep, but would eventually root around again, so I would relatch before she woke up. I was so afraid I was doing the "wrong" thing and creating a sleep association that we'd never get out of, but I eventually realized it was WAY more stressful for both of us for her to only be getting 15-20 mins of sleep at a time. She's now started falling asleep on her own in her swing for one of her naps (the others are still nursing naps), and I haven't really changed anything, so that is reassuring for me that I didn't create a situation that was impossible to get out of without a lot of work. She is my only child though, so I don't know how I would feel if I had another child to take care of as well.

Hi Lind3!

Are you sure you aren't spying on me at night?? Because we've been going through a situation very similar to your since about 4 months. Cut dairy, most veggies and DS still wakes 4-8 times per night. He's almost 6 months now and I know how hard it is to not sleep. Hopefully we'll both be out of the woods soon - HUGS!

I'm sorry I misunderstood mama7008. It is hard because I normally love this stage and it goes by so fast. We want to enjoy it so I'm sorry to all the mommies going through similar situations. I think we are doing the best we can. Even though I don't wish for anyone to be exhausted and fearful of doing things wrong when it comes to their child, it's nice to know I'm not alone.

Hi blueberrysmom! I will have to try the no dairy diet. I haven't done that yet. I can neither confirm nor deny spying on you at night lol. Sometimes I'm so exhausted I could be sleep walking and not even know it. I was hoping it would get better by 6 months :-( Hopefully we will be out of the woods soon-hugs back at ya

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lind3 View Post
    We want to enjoy it so I'm sorry to all the mommies going through similar situations. I think we are doing the best we can. Even though I don't wish for anyone to be exhausted and fearful of doing things wrong when it comes to their child, it's nice to know I'm not alone.
    I know how you feel (about not being alone!). I don't know where you live, but here in the US, things can be hard on new parents (bad maternity/paternity leave, lack of support in areas, especially breastfeeding support, etc). There's SO much pressure to just hop up and go back to life as normal after a baby, and at the same time everyone around you is telling you to enjoy this time with your baby, that you feel like a failure if you can't keep up, and guilty you're NOT enjoying the lack of sleep or the messy house or the fact that your family hasn't had a fresh, home-cooked (at least by you) meal a few days in a row. I don't think we're required to enjoy every aspect of parenting. We can enjoy our babies, and oh, how we do enjoy those chubby cheeks, the soft skin, that sweet smell, and that beautiful smile, but babies disrupt things, and they keep changing things on us as soon as we start to feel like we're getting things under control. I told my mom a couple weeks ago baby had begun sleeping a predictable night schedule, and the VERY NEXT NIGHT, she changed things up and hasn't slept the same schedule 2 nights in a row since. All that to say...you're not alone; things are hard even after baby is technically not a "newborn," and you are doing the best thing for baby simply by trying your hardest to do everything within your power to make things easier on him. Good luck and I hope things begin to improve for him (and you!) soon. Hang in there.

Couldn't have said that better myself mama7008! I live in Virginia and I agree with everything you said. Good luck to you as well.
    Last edited by @llli*lind3; March 27th, 2015 at 05:12 PM.

Just wanted to chime in to say you're not alone! I just posted a similar thread over on the sleep board. My LO is six months as well and rarely sleeps more than a one hour stretch during the night. As for naps, I always hold him through them so he can quickly nurse back to sleep and he manages to get 1-2 hour naps that way.

It's very hard to tune out the doctors, friends, "experts", etc. who claim you're creating a bad sleep association. You're not. Whenever I start questioning myself I just think of how things would have naturally been done when we were cave people. Babies would have spent all their time either nursing, sleeping, or being carried, and we can be pretty sure they nursed to sleep! It's not a bad thing, just sometimes inconvenient in our modern society.

We started cosleeping in order for me to get some sleep between his hourly wakings. Right now I'm in the process of trying different clothes, temperature and lighting to see if any of that makes a difference.

Things will get better eventually!