Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help No Milk????????

Red face Help No Milk????????

My son is a little over 2 weeks old, I had him by ER c-section so the first food he got was formula frrom a bottle by his dad, however I am dedicated to the concept of bf w/dad doing some supplementing. The bf was going really good until I got a stomach virus, I spent almost 2 daysthrowing up & didn't go near my son, he was feed by dad from a formula bottle. During this time my breast became severally engorged & I hand "pumped" in order not to lose my milk supply (we haven't bought a real pump because we unfortunately can't afford one). Anyway, as soon as I was ready to bf again my breasts were completly soft, when I compress them little milk comes out. I have continued trying to bf but my son seems upset, he will feed for about 5minutes, start freaking out & I will switch sides & this repeats & I am worried he isn't getting anything, the feedings always have to be followed by a bottle. What do I do???????????? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Help No Milk????????

You need to get in touch with a LLL leader or IBCLC. The LLL leader is free. You can find one by going to the LLL home page, click on breastfeeding help, and then the link to find your Local LLL. I also have a cousin that works with wic helping bf moms so you might contact them as well. They may be able to help with a pump too.

In the meantime, get your baby to the breast as often as you can. Supply meets demand, so the more you breastfeed, the more your supply will increase. If you are bringing him to the breast every 2 or 3 hours do it every hour. Also try some skin to skin contact before feeding. Play some soothing music. He probably is experiencing some nipple confusion, which can be worked through. Just don't give up. Give it some time and soon you will be able to drop the bottle feeding all together.

Welcome and feel free to ask any more questions.

Thanks!

Hi there

Just wanted to echo the previous poster. Get the baby to the breast for frequent nursings. This will help get your milk supply back up. As your supply increases, you can gradually decrease the supplements.

A lot of mothers find that skin-to-skin contact can really help the baby get the hang of nursing again. Taking baby to bed with you and letting him have full access to the breast all night can help build your supply a lot and encourage him to breastfeed. Here is a link that can tell you how to safely co-sleep:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/cosleep.html

You can click the link in my signature to find a LLL Leader in your area. Here are a few articles that may help you as well:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/normal.html

Hang in there! Ask us as many questions as you need to!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

wanted to see if things were better!

Quote Originally Posted by italianmommy View Post
    My son is a little over 2 weeks old, I had him by ER c-section so the first food he got was formula frrom a bottle by his dad, however I am dedicated to the concept of bf w/dad doing some supplementing. The bf was going really good until I got a stomach virus, I spent almost 2 daysthrowing up & didn't go near my son, he was feed by dad from a formula bottle. During this time my breast became severally engorged & I hand "pumped" in order not to lose my milk supply (we haven't bought a real pump because we unfortunately can't afford one). Anyway, as soon as I was ready to bf again my breasts were completly soft, when I compress them little milk comes out. I have continued trying to bf but my son seems upset, he will feed for about 5minutes, start freaking out & I will switch sides & this repeats & I am worried he isn't getting anything, the feedings always have to be followed by a bottle. What do I do???????????? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi I just wanted to check in on you and make sure you haven't give up on the breastfeeding. If he is screaming like that it could be because he cannot get the milk out. Babies that young have a hard time nursing when the breasts are engorged, so pump some of it out before you feed him (do this only until you teach him how to latch on while you're engorged).

Is he gaining weight well? How did his two month checkup go? As long as he is having enough wet and dirty diapers a day, and is gaining weight, am sure he gets enough milk.

Hang in there!