Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help-my 4 day old child will not nurse, using formula

Default Re: Help-my 4 day old child will not nurse, using formula

I have a tip, if you are willing to try. My doc was telling me that some kids like the garlic flavor in milk, if you have a couple of garlic pods in your meal it might help. Moreover breast milk is not as sweet as formula, so its not easy to get kid like the flavour. But still, keep trying and hope this tip works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by beasleynoo View Post
    But, I took RachaelVashti's suggestion and tried the nipple shield. It worked! I have nursed my son three times today. One one breast, I can take the shield off and he will continue to nurse, but the other breast ( a bit larger than the first) he will ONLY nurse with the shield on. But it is a start. I read that you need to discontinue nipple shields as soon as possible...I hope I can do this soon.
    It's great you've had some success with the nipple shield. Have you found someone local to help you out yet? Let us know if you need help finding a leader or IBCLC in your area.
    It used to be that nipple shields were made differently (thicker rubber) and could cause problems with supply. But now they are made differently (silicone) and they can be a really useful tool. It used to be suggested to wean from them as soon as possible but now it's suggested to let the baby use it as long as the baby needs it. This may be days, weeks or (sometimes) months.

Breastmilk is pretty sweet tasting. Mother's milk contains about 1.5 times the lactose as cow's milk. The sugar content in cow's milk must be increased for use in infant feeding.

Keep us posted!
    Mary

OK, I see from your first post you were working with a lactation consulant and nurses at first.
    Can you give us an update as to how things are going?
    Mary

My mom was so surprised when I showed her the nipple shield I bought. It was much better. When I was born (1980) they gave her a huge thick rubber nipple shield to use (I don't know why they thought she needed it) She tried it like once then tossed it to the side

That takes preasure off to know it's not urgent to stop using the shield. I was just going to mention- when I read about babies learning to nurse late, they said there seems to be a window of time at 4-6 weeks when nursing just seems to click for some babies. That's the age it's suggested to start bottle feeding along with bf if desired (mom going back to work or whatever) because baby shouldn't get nipple confusion by then. I'm just thinking you may have more luck weaning off it then if he refuses now.

Hope this is understandable. Typing with 1 arm nursing 2 yr old with other

Let us know how things are going!

Quote Originally Posted by JamieR View Post
    My doc was telling me that some kids like the garlic flavor in milk
    Here is a link to the study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Quote Originally Posted by JamieR View Post
    Moreover breast milk is not as sweet as formula, so its not easy to get kid like the flavour.
    This information is not correct. In reality, breastmilk tastes sweeter than commercial baby formula (artificial baby milk).

Just do the taste test for sweetness (formula versus EBM) and you will know!