Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help-my 4 day old child will not nurse, using formula

Default Help-my 4 day old child will not nurse, using formula

I am new here, and I hope some of you can help. I am absolutely devastated that my newborn refuses to nurse. I have a 4 year old that I successfully nursed for a year, and I thought this would be a total breeze. But the new baby refuses to nurse, and has for days, and out of sheer panic, I agreed to giving him formula, which is all he will take. My milk has not yet come in and I am pumping for stimulation, but I am terrified that I have ruined all chances to nurse my precious baby.

Can this be fixed? I spent a huge amount of time with several nurses and a certified lactation consultant, all were stumped and couldn't offer any help. I need help badly.

By the way, the lactation consultant agreed that both baby and I are functioning completely normally, but that he may just be too lazy to work for the milk.

Beasleynoo

Default Re: Help-my 4 day old child will not nurse, using formula

Hi & Welcome!
    Sounds like things are kinda stressful?? I am going to look up some resources for you, but I just wanted to say hey! Its common for milk not to come in until day 4 or 5...

will your baby go to breast at all??

How long have you been giving her formula?

Are you giving every bottle as formula? Has she got any expressed breast milk??

It is important to keep trying to put her to breast, especially for the colostrum and to stimulate supply.

I will be back with more info...hang in there mama!

I forgot to say its definitely NOT to late!! I would suggest not using a bottle and syringe feeding EBM if possible (to avoid nipple confusion).
    Baby Refusing to Latch

THat article is a good start...others will come along with advice too. HTH

I second Kristin. My DS wouldn't latch for a few feedings after birth, and I didn't get my milk until day 3 or 4...don't remember. Anyways, once I started to have milk, he wouldn't latch b/c i'd already given the bottle. I ended up pumping and syringe feeding for 1 day and then he latched on. I would definitely give up the bottle. The more that he gets the bottle, the more lazy he'll become and not want to nurse.

be patient and feed the baby, starving him into nursing won't work. i would feed any other way besides bottle. sleep together, keep your breasts exposed and get lots of skin to skin contact. reassure him and keep bringing him back to the breast as much as possible.

good luck and let us know how its going.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Just want to encourage you by saying it is not too late!!!! My baby wouldn't nurse and finally figured it out at 4 weeks and is still nursing at 2yrs! I could have gotten him to nurse much sooner if I had known more of what to do- so don't panic it shouldn't take 4 weeks like me!

As pp said lots of skin to skin contact will help. Also I would try different nursing positions. Walking around while I tried to nurse seemed to encourage him some. Most of all just stay calm and keep nursing attempts pleasant to him. I think I got so stressed out and tense that it made him upset and he would scream as soon as I had him in a cradle hold.
    I thought that my chance to bf was over after a couple days of failure. I stayed up late one night and read some articles on this website. One talked about babies learning to nurse after many weeks or months. I was stunned! Don't give up. You're doing your best
    My son got used to a bottle nipple because he rufused to nurse and was getting dehydrated. I ended up having to trick him with a nipple shield. I'd wear it and let him latch on and taste the milk then take it off and try to latch him on. He finally figured it out. He was 4 weeks by then and had had many bottles. You may not have to do that this early.
    Let us know what's happening. Things will get easier

baby in lap...
    hang in there sister! Remember that at four days things will also be adjusting in YOU!! It will get better, and with just a little time a solution will appear. You are a great mom, and you will get your baby on the breast. Is there any way someone could take over a feeding for you? i found it really helpful for my stress level on day five- stressing can be bad for your body and head. once i had some rest my milk came in,and things got easier. missing one pumping session won't hurt you...

Have you tried contacting your local LLL leader for some in-person help(if you have one)?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thank you all for your quick responses. I have been an absolute mess for the last 4 days. But, I took RachaelVashti's suggestion and tried the nipple shield. It worked! I have nursed my son three times today. One one breast, I can take the shield off and he will continue to nurse, but the other breast ( a bit larger than the first) he will ONLY nurse with the shield on. But it is a start. I read that you need to discontinue nipple shields as soon as possible...I hope I can do this soon. I know it is too soon to tell if my problem is solved, but boy, did I have a nice glimmer of hope today. Thank you so much!

Do you have to be a member to get one-to-one help from a local leader? And how do I find one? I live near Dallas, TX.

Thanks again!

No, you don't have to be a member to talk to a LLL leader or go to a meeting, it's absolutely free! You can look for a leader here: La Leche League of Texas

I'm glad to hear you made some progress, good luck!

Hurray! I'm glad the nipple shield seems to be helping. Not sure what I would do next to wean off of it. I only had to use it twice myself and he took off.
    I would suggest trying to nurse on the "good" side without it at all and see what he does. If you have to put it back on I would use it as briefly as possible-just enough to trick him and get him started. For the difficult side--you may have better luck if he has already nursed the other side and isn't frantically hungry. On the other hand he might work harder at nursing without the shield if he IS hungry. I would try both ways and see what happens. I'm NOT an expert. Just trying to think of what I would try from experience.
    That would be the greatest if you could find and local LLL leader! That would help so much.