Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I get my period back?!

Default How do I get my period back?!

I am currently nursing my second child who is 15 months old. Since about three months postpartum I have had slippery mucus consistent with the return of ovulation... But alas, nothing. My husband and I use Natural Family Planning as contraception and I have had a difficult time charting my temps due to waking at varying times with two kiddos. Nothing other than mucus has hinted at fertility.

I had this same issue with my first child. I finally got my period back 20 months postpartum after entirely weaning my child (really before both of us were ready). Before weaning completely, I tried: upping my supplementation of vitamin c, night weaning, 24 hours of pumped milk bottle feeding, no baby wearing, and no cosleeping. None of these things spurned my fertility

I would like to become fertile again to try to conceive another child soon, my husband is older. My child and I are not ready to wean at all though. So does anyone else have any tricks to lure Aunt Flo back? We still cosleep, I pump three days a week, nurse at least 4 times a day- and my son sleeps at the breast most of nap time... Thanks guys!!!

Default Re: How do I get my period back?!

If your period has not returned yet, and you are normally fertile (not in menopause or other wise have fertility issues) it almost certainly will return by 18 months to 2 years even if your child continues to nurse. Lactational amenorrhea is not a health problem, it is entirely normal and in fact considered one of the health benefits of nursing in that it creates a longer period of time between each child entirely naturally. Overall, space between pregnancies of at least one to two years is considered healthier for everyone involved.

I understand wanting to hurry things along. I night-weaned my eldest at 17 months (eventually getting a 6 hour stretch with no nursing each night) because I was so worried about not being able to have another child due to my own age. (Over 35 when I had my first) It was painful and difficult to night wean and I am not recommending it, but my period did return at about a month later. With my next two kids, my period returned at 24 and 23 months respectively despite no efforts to wean in any way. I now believe the night weaning was probably unnecessary and my fertility would probably have returned at that time with my oldest anyway.

How much are you pumping? Is your toddler still drinking the expressed milk? I'm thinking that maybe cutting down on the pumping (or cutting it out altogether) could help move things along without affecting your nursing time together.

I pump twice a day, three days a week. Once in the morning before I leave for work and then once at work. I work for about six hrs those days. My son takes the expressed milk in the morning, but the pumped milk during work I donate to a local family. I hate to give that pump up for selfish reasons when I'm providing for another family in need should I or do you have any other ideas? Thank you sooooo much for you guys' thoughtful replies
    Last edited by @llli*jtmmh; March 3rd, 2015 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Mistakes!

Yeah, i hear you. I did all those things too when I was trying to get AF back. And none of them worked. I got it back at 22 months pp, but I did not wean before that. I had nighweaned by 18 mos. It just came back, I guess when it was good and ready, lol. You might not have to wean, since you say you don't want to, but unfortunately, short of repeating those hit or miss tricks, this might be totally out of your control.

I was 37 when I had my first (having #2 at 40) and mother nature didn't seem to care that I was running out of time
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012 and monkey #2 born August 2015.

I agree with isabelofmti, there's no way to know really whether cutting down on the pumping would bring it back or not. Sometimes moms keep pumping out of habit and/or out of concern that baby will stop nursing if they stop, but I can see why you would want to keep pumping since you're donating (lovely that you do that!). I guess an intermediate solution would be to keep the one pump you are donating and cut out the pumping session you give to your son, since it sounds like he is nursing plenty (rule of thumb is 3-5 nursing sessions/24 hours to meet his dairy needs in toddlerhood).

I wish I had that issue! I got mine back one day out of the blue when DS was 7 days short of his first birthday. He had just gone through a bad ear infection that caused him to not nurse so well and it was a holiday then so my family was giving him lots of solids and then boom, 2 weeks later I got my period.

Is there a reason why you still need to pump? As soon as I got my period back I was thrilled to stop pumping (I kept it up for the first year because it's not like my baby could have a different milk anyway).
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/