Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Struggling with Comfort Nursing

Default Struggling with Comfort Nursing

Hi, me and my 11 week old have finally got to grips with breastfeeding after the first two months of problems (pain, weak latch, mastitis, slow let down, over supply...) and I've been feeding on demand including through the night. He sleeps in my bed and we feed tummy to tummy to I don't mind the night feeds at all. And I know he's healthy, and happy. What I'm struggling with is that after he's fed he wants to comfort nurse throughout the night. If I try to unlatch him (most nights, not all) he then wakes up fully and wants to feed again. So I put him back on, he feeds for 20 seconds and then its just comfort feeding again. And I can't sleep properly while he's doing it and the tiny gnawing feeling starts to drive me crazy!! I have tried to guide him to suck his fingers (so far not interested), and tried a dummy (hated it). Anyone got any ideas, or do I just deal with it for now. After all, he is healthy and feeding well

Default Re: Struggling with Comfort Nursing

Hey there!

Well done for making it this far! I'm not sure if I'm any help or not... But I personally think a lot of it is timing. I found with my daughter it would irritate me and I was unlatching sooner than she wanted... I'd think she was done and she really wasn't.

What I did was gently lift my boob, if she dropped off then great if not I'd give her a few more minutes and try again. If I did the whole pinky in the mouth to unlatch she would just grip tighter/fuss to go back on. If you catch them in a deep sleep they don't notice so much

Tummy to tummy- side lying or baby on top? I am wondering if a positioning change might help you get more sleep while baby nurses.

Also I agree about the timing. Some kids are easier to 'take off' than others. It can take lots of experimentation to find the right method for this baby.

What I'm struggling with is that after he's fed he wants to comfort nurse throughout the night.
    I am curious that the difference is between being fed and comfort nursing is? I am just wondering if you are doing something different that you are calling 'fed.' It is normal for a child this age to need to nurse during the night for food and liquid AND comfort. I am not suggesting baby is not comfort nursing I just mean, he is also getting fed. It's all the same to a baby.

If you mean the way he is nursing, the nibbling, I am back to suggesting a positioning change to get his latch more comfortable for you. Do you think you have a fast let down and so maybe baby nibbles so the flow is slower? I am just brainstorming.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    I am curious that the difference is between being fed and comfort nursing is?
    I might have the wrong terms! I mean for 10 minutes or half an hour he is getting milk. So he is sucking and swallowing, and then later he is just nibbling. In the day he keeps doing this in mid air (too cute!) but at night unlatching him causes immediate wake up. Doesn't seem to matter how long i wait either @llli*bsua65 , but I'll give looking for the moment he starts to drop off.

T2T is side by side, baby on top doesn't seem comfortable for either of us. When he's nibbling though, he's def not getting milk, he's sleeping. Just not deeply enough!

Ok, got it. I do not think there are official terms for every interesting thing a baby might do as far as suckling behavior on the breast (or that 'air suckling' (as in 'air guitar') babies tend to do when off the breast.) but I think I know what you are describing. Typically a baby may very well get at least some milk while 'nibbling' and/or, while asleep. Even very asleep.

What if you try to get baby to latch on more deeply during the nibbling? - I an thinking this would be more comfortable for you, also, it is possible baby wants more milk, is not getting what he wants fast enough at the moment due to not being latched on well, and, since baby is asleep, needs help getting a better latch in sleep so he can get more milk more quickly?