Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not enough milk in the evening

Default not enough milk in the evening

My baby is 1 month old and up until now he's been exclusively breastfeeding and everything seemed to go ok: gaining weight, lots of soaked diapers and stools, etc. Since about a week ago he seems to be hungry after feedings in the evening and I feel as if I don't have enough milk, I don't feel him swallowing, is suctioning rapidly and gets very fussy and restless and sucks his hands. I have given him formula twice now and feel very defeated and sad at having to do so, but I am pretty much certain that he's not getting enough in the evenings and stays hungry. What can I do? I do not want to continue to give him formula by any means but it breaks my heart to see him not get enough and stay hungry. I drink the Mother's Milk tea many throughout the day and just ordered some expensive Domperidone (I will get it in two weeks time) but I am so afraid this will not work and feel so frustrated and sad I do not know what to do anymore. I want to attend the LLL meetings but they happen only the third Monday of the month in my city, so I will have to wait until the third monday of March which is very long time. Any help or advice will be so appreciated, any mother would understand what I am going through, this is all I think about all day and breastfeeding my child is my number one priority and the single most important thing for me at the moment. Please help me.

Default Re: not enough milk in the evening

Hi I understand your concern but there is no way you don't make enough milk only in the evening.
    Either a mother makes enough milk for her baby to grow normally or she doesn't. If baby is gaining normally then she makes enough milk and baby does not require any supplements.
    It is totally normal from mothers to feel less full or 'empty' in the evening and for baby to wish to nurse very frequently in the evening. It can also happen other times a day but more typically this is in the evening or early night.

The problem with giving supplements in this type of situation is that it can actually exacerbate the problem. Baby Getting supplements when they are not needed can cause your milk production to be reduced and for baby to get more fussy at the breast rather than less, and possibly even lead to breast refusal.
    I would strongly urge you if you continue to be concerned, to see a lactation consultant. A board-certified lactation consultant can help reassure you that there is no problem or help you find workable solutions that will keep breast-feeding going as long as you wish if there is a problem.

If you go to the website W WW.Kelly mom.com she has a great article about what is normal in the early weeks with breast-feeding newborn. I think it's one of the articles that typically scroll right at the top so you should be able to find it easily. I am hopeful you will find this article reassuring.

Hang in there! Is is possible your son is cluster feeding? I went through a few frustrating spells when it seemed like my son was never satisfied - he would nurse all evening. He would 'finish' but within minutes would be fussing like he was hungry again. This was always in the evening and would last anywhere from a few days to almost 2 weeks. If it is cluster feeding, it's normal, and you definitely don't want to supplement (I'd be leery about supplementing this early anyway - your supply will regulate and cluster feeding is part of the process). It can be really trying, but it will pass. Can you find a good book, or a movie you've been wanting to watch, and plan on spending a few evenings in the recliner, just nursing & cuddling?

Here are some articles on it I found helpful on cluster feeding:
    http://www.momtastic.com/parenting/1...orry-about-it/
    http://kellymom.com/parenting/parent...fussy-evening/

And here is the link to the article I mentioned. Could not link it before: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

with the PPs. If you can make enough milk at all other times of the day and night, there's no reason to think that you can't make enough in the evenings. Evenings with a month-old baby tend to be frustrating for a lot of reasons that are unrelated to supply. Like the baby's tendency to cluster feed for hours on end, and the baby being generally tired and fussy by the time evening rolls around. The best thing to do is to nurse, nurse, nurse, and nurse some more. It doesn't matter if the baby just ate- if he wants the breast 5 minutes after finishing a feeding, then give it to him! If the baby won't nurse when you offer, then the issue isn't hunger. It's that evening fussiness that throws so many moms for a loop. Here are some things you can do to cope:
    - Calm house- lights, TV, and stereo down or off. Babies are very sensitive to light and sound stimuli!
    - Motion. Rock, swing, wear baby in a sling and go for a walk, etc.
    - Closeness. Cuddle baby near your bare skin or wear him in a sling.
    - Fresh air. Take baby outside for a change of scene if it's warm enough, or take him over to the window for a change of light if it's not.
    - White noise. Radio static, running water, machine noises, heartbeat and breathing sounds, stroller wheel noises, etc.
    - Warm, soap-free bath in the sink.
    When you're dealing with evening fussiness, nothing is likely to work for long, so keep changing your strategy until the baby finally gets to the point where he can nurse himself to sleep.

Thanks so much, however I do not think it is a case of cluster feeding, he's ok all day long and in early night very fussy at breast and never seeming satisfied In the mornings and during the day I can see he's swallowing a lot, I feel there are lots of milk and he's done after a few minutes and refuses the breast, come early night I don't see any swallowing and he does not leave the breast other than fussy and mad at it. I tried pumping at that time and I don't get anything at all I wish breastfeeding was as easy as we once thought it to be. Thanks again for your replies!

Try not to measure supply by what you can pump- it's quite common for a mom to have more than enough milk and still be unable to pump much, if anything.

Often what happens is that supply dips a bit in the evening. There's still milk in the breast because the breast is never empty- the faster it gets drained, the more milk is made to replace what is being removed. But the baby may act very fussy as he tries to adjust his nursing style to be a little more assertive and a little more patient. Don't short-circuit the learning process with a supplemental bottle, and he will eventually LEARN how to nurse in such a way that he gets his preferred flow of milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*morakt View Post
    .... come early night I don't see any swallowing and he does not leave the breast other than fussy and mad at it.
    I know it's frustrating but skin time & nursing -- even if he's not getting anything -- will help your supply adjust to your baby's needs. It can be a frustrating few days while supply adjusts, but it's part of the process. Let baby nurse as often / long as he will in the evening. Even if he may be hungry for a few hours, he's not running you dry (since you say you have plenty of milk in the day) so worst case, he'll catch up a later feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*morakt View Post
    Thanks so much, however I do not think it is a case of cluster feeding, he's ok all day long and in early night very fussy at breast and never seeming satisfied In the mornings and during the day I can see he's swallowing a lot, I feel there are lots of milk and he's done after a few minutes and refuses the breast, come early night I don't see any swallowing and he does not leave the breast other than fussy and mad at it. I tried pumping at that time and I don't get anything at all I wish breastfeeding was as easy as we once thought it to be. Thanks again for your replies!
    If your really think you do not make enough milk for your baby after reading the evidence based articles written by a professional and experienced lactation consultant we linked suggesting that everything you are experiencing is entirely normal and NOT an indication of low production, I strongly urge you to see a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) to find out what is going on in your circumstance. Maybe you are an exception to the rule. Maybe something is wrong. But if so, there is a solution.

If you continue to supplement, then continue to pump. This is vital if you hope to supplement without harming your milk production. But do NOT measure infant intake or milk production by how much you pump, and do not measure babies 'hunger' by how much baby takes in a bottle! These are proven as misleading. If you are truly getting no milk when you pump, there may be something wrong with your pump.

I wish breastfeeding was as easy as we once thought it to be.
    The newborn period is what is exhausting and difficult, no matter how baby is fed. Breastfeeding is easy, except when there is something wrong requiring pumping, supplements etc. which of course add so much work even when they are needed. Usually, as long as baby is gaining normally and breastfeeding is comfortable for mom, there is nothing wrong. But again you might create a problem if you supplement a baby who does not need it.

Here is another article about low milk production and how to tell that is happening. These articles we are suggesting are not someone's opinion on an online forum. These articles are all based on evidence- facts. If you cannot access them, please let us know. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; February 23rd, 2015 at 11:56 AM.

Sounds more like a strange purple crying than generally being hungry. My three month old did something similar around a month and just wanted a pacifier. She would get angry that milk was coming out.

Rent a scale if you have concerns. Then you can see how much he is getting when you nurse.