Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If sleepy baby (2 wk) is bfing 10+ x/day do i need to wake?

Default If sleepy baby (2 wk) is bfing 10+ x/day do i need to wake?

This is actually for a friend. I'm trying to figure out if she's gotten good advice. If her 2 week old is gaining well, wetting diapers, and nursing 10+ times in 24 hours, but sleeping long stretches during the day, does she need to wake the baby to feed her during those long stretches (over 4 hours)?
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012 and monkey #2 born August 2015.

Default Re: If sleepy baby (2 wk) is bfing 10+ x/day do i need to wa

How is weight gain exactly? It is a little hard to tell what is 'well' so early. If there is not another check for two weeks or more, she does not want to wait until then to find our baby is not gaining as well as everyone thought.

Also, baby must be POOPING enough, not just wetting, to indicate baby is getting enough. Pooping an ok size poop at least 3-5 times every day.

Also, Is mom feeling full in those 4 hours? IS baby swaddled or given a pacifier during those times? Is baby near mom or off by itself? If gain is normal and mom is not feeling full, the long stretches might be ok. Also, baby may be more naturally wakeful if baby is close to/held by mom, not pacified, not swaddled. BUT...

What I always suggest to moms is that it never hurts and often helps to nurse more often in the early weeks. Society has really internalized the idea that one should 'never wake a sleeping baby' and many moms are afraid to do so, but of course there is actually no reason to not wake a baby to nurse if mom is feeling like nursing, or to not pick up a sleeping baby if mom feels like cuddling.

I cannot get it to link right now, but the tear sheet toolkit on this site has nice info on waking baby and when to do so, feeding cues (even happen in sleep) and a diaper log that explains what to look for with poop output
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; February 21st, 2015 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks for the questions. I'll follow up with mom on those. Weight gain satisfaction was determined by her health professional. She has the opportunity to get LO weighed more often, so I will suggest that.

Mom's breasts are quite full, but couldn't that be her production adjusting to the baby's routine? She had been pumping earlier, and i wonder if that couldn't contribute to the level of production.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    I cannot get it to link right now, but the tear sheet toolkit on this site has nice info on waking baby and when to do so, feeding cues (even happen in sleep) and a diaper log that explains what to look for with poop output
    Here are those links:
    Diaper log: https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000...diaper_log.pdf
    Waking sleepy baby: https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000...py_newborn.pdf
    Feeding cues: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...eding_cues.pdf

At such a young age especially, if mom is feeling full between nursing sessions, I would say that is moms body cueing mom to offer to nurse more often. If baby won't nurse if offered, that is different. But basically mom cannot offer to nurse too often and baby cannot nurse to often.
    Again it may be fine, each situation is so individual. But BuBreastfeeding problems are the frequent result of not nursing often enough.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; February 21st, 2015 at 01:57 PM.

My gut inclination would be to say she shouldn't wait so long to feed the baby. Without knowing how long the feeds are / how they're spaced, it's hard to say whether she's mistaking cluster feeding for individual feeds, or if baby is reverse cycling, etc.

Mom's breasts are quite full, but couldn't that be her production adjusting to the baby's routine?
    This seems early to me. Assuming it took a few days for her milk to come in, and given that baby's only 2 weeks old, when would her breasts have gotten the signal to produce so much if baby's sleeping those long stretches? It never hurts to offer the breast - maybe try a 'dream feed' style? I agree with PP that if baby's offered the breast and just doesn't want to eat, that's different. Also, I found with my son I could tell if he'd "overslept" because he'd wake up instantly fussy.

Thanks, I appreciate the consensus, and the suggestions! Will take all this back to the new mom!