Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 mo old half weaning

Default Re: 12 mo old half weaning

I just have moments I think life would be easier without nursing even those couple of times

Understandable! Maybe it would be easier if you weren't nursing. Or maybe not! I always thought if nursing a my superpower. When my kids were tired, cranky, sick, hurt, hyper- nursing ALWAYS helped us through the rough patch. Weaning doesn't make those rough patches go away. It just removes one tool for dealing with them, YKWIM?

I love Mommal's way of thinking about nursing. It's so true. Whenever my baby is sick or teething or sad, I say to myself, "This is the reason I'm still breastfeeding!"
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

True.

I don't know what YKWIM means.

I guess because with my first child I pumped instead of nursed cuddling with him and his comfort objects a toy frog "froggie" and pacifier were always how I comforted him. And my husband spent a lot of time feeding him and snuggling him also. With my 12 mo old he just started being ok sometimes with staying with Daddy or other familiar people. Which I attribute partially to sleep training - so he is learning to be more independent and to self sooth / he's been walking for about a month now which seemed to increase his confidence.

Oh I just deciphered that acronym.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kristalee View Post
    I guess because with my first child I pumped instead of nursed cuddling with him and his comfort objects a toy frog "froggie" and pacifier were always how I comforted him. And my husband spent a lot of time feeding him and snuggling him also. With my 12 mo old he just started being ok sometimes with staying with Daddy or other familiar people. Which I attribute partially to sleep training - so he is learning to be more independent and to self sooth / he's been walking for about a month now which seemed to increase his confidence.
    I think it's just as likely that your two kids are different people and therefore were ready for other people at somewhat different points.

Yes they are very different people!

On an interesting turn of events. After not nursing at all for 2 days. Including not waking up for his normal early morning session. My Lo has been pulling my shirt down all day trying to nurse, I did let him try but I'm not even sure there's any milk there. He didn't get one let down but he kept trying. So before bed I gave him a cup of almond milk and lots of cuddles and he went to sleep with just an iota of protest before my oldest son began to sing twinkle twinkle little star. Then he settled and they both went to sleep.

Having two boys is more work but more blessings as well!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kristalee View Post
    just an iota of protest before my oldest son began to sing twinkle twinkle little star. Then he settled and they both went to sleep.
    So sweet!

Update my son is almost 15 months now and still breastfeeds once or more a day. Usually wakes between 4-5am to breastfeed and snuggle. Tho periodically sleeps thru until 6 or 7am. I'm surprised I even have any milk left. I tested by hand expressing and there is still a good amount in there. I don't feel a let down at all and don't hear him gulping but I know it's there. I feel good knowing it helps balance out his nutritional needs even tho it's no longer the main source. I do notice he wants to breastfeed OR just snuggle more if I've been separated from him or if he's been busy playing for a while. He takes snuggle breaks more than BFing breaks tho. So I think he will probably fully wean before age 2.