Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 mo old half weaning

Default 12 mo old half weaning

Hello! A few months ago it became increasingly difficult to breastfeed my now 12 Mo old. He was losing interest. So I started supplementing during the day. I sleep trained him and that cut out the last feeding before bed. So he began night waking again. I have now switched him from formula during the day to almond milk he's not super interested in the almond milk but I give him dairy also (cheese/yogurt.). and he will breastfeed right before bed and once or twice in the early morning hours. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? It seems to be working for us. He is eating a lot more and I still offer the breast when he wants it (he only seems interested right before bed and in the morning). I had wanted to fully wean him at 12 months but he doesn't seem ready so I don't want to cut it all out. My older child would never latch so I pumped for him for 6 months and bottle fed him for another 6 months and he had no problem transitioning from bottle to cup and from formula to almond milk at 12/13 months. I don't want to buy anymore formula. He is growing normally and developing fast. He's already walking and knows 9 body parts by name!! He just turned 1 this month.

I'd like some feedback on our situation, I haven't found anything like it. I know babies don't normally wean even partially before 1 year, so I'm interested to hear about some other unique situations.

Default Re: 12 mo old half weaning

It's common for older babies to be really distractible, which maybe you interpreted as a loss of interest in nursing (sometimes so distractible that they will only nurse well at night or during naps!). Anyway, at this point it sounds like your baby - now toddler! - is doing well with solids. The rule of thumb is that for a toddler, nursing 3-5 times/24 hours meets his "dairy" needs. In your case it sounds like he is doing two or three nursing sessions plus cheese/yogurt dairy, so most likely he is getting the dairy he needs. I don't think there's any reason to give formula at this point. And nothing wrong with continuing to nurse two or three times a day. A lot of young toddlers hit a "nursing like a newborn" phase at 14 or 15 months, so you may find that his nursing actually increases. Or, maybe he'll continue to nurse a couple times a day for many months or years to come!

with Bfwmomof3.

What is your personal nursing goal at this point? Are you eager to wean, or can you see yourself continuing to nurse for another few months or even another few years?

Yeah you're probably right i just am not willing to fight with him to get him to nurse. I'm not even sure how much milk I'm making at this point. Last night he wanted to sleep with me and nurse. and today was actually pulling at my shirt for the first time during the day. So I guess we will see if he nurses enough to increase my milk supply. I don't want to nurse for much longer and I'm not really sure how to transition a baby from breastfeeding. I only know how from bottle feeding.

I am ready to wean when he's ready. I don't want to force him, because he's a lot more sensitive and attached to me than my other child was at this age... But I also don't want to nurse forever -- extended nursing is not for me. Like maybe 6 more months and I will be ready to quit.

It's great that you're open to nursing for another 6 months. In 6 months, your baby is going to be a lot more comfortable with a majority-solids diet and transitioning him away from nursing will get easier.

And just FTR, the longer you nurse, the more likely it is that your baby will self-wean. I totally get it that you don't feel like extended nursing is for you at this point- but if you can bring yourself to just stay relaxed and do what works for you at the moment you are in, you may surprise yourself by nursing longer than you think you want. That's what happened with me- I intended to nurse until 365 days and then I was going to be DONE because it was weird to nurse a baby who could ask for it, right? Instead, I realized that nursing actually made my life easier and as a result I didn't feel pressure to push weaning, even as I repeatedly passed my "done by" goals. No pressure, of course! Just a suggestion to keep being open to your own feelings, as they sometimes surprise you.

Honestly I just don't know how long my milk will last with only nursing 2/3 times a day. I could already only pump like half an ounce most of the time a few months ago and that was when he had been breastfeeding every two hours still and began to fuss/ refuse. I drank mothers milk tea for a few weeks which seemed to help. But I stopped because he was mostly supplementing and I planned to transition him to almond milk and yogurt/ cheese. So if he's "nursing" it's probably mostly for comfort at this point I think. Because I feel my letdown diminishing also.

Thank you all for your encouraging words!!

I nurse my baby now 2-3 times a day (twice in the AM and once before bed) and my milk is holding up like this for a while already. I don't pump anymore because my baby drinks regular milk already. Letdown does diminish with time because supply is also diminishing as your baby eats less. But you should still produce enough for what your baby eats right now. I kept giving myself milestones, like I'll breastfeed for one month only. Then 3 months, then 6 months, etc. And now we are at 16 months After my baby began to drink milk and I stopped pumping (13 months or so) I felt SUCH a relief knowing I don't HAVE to nurse. It's just a treat for both of us. If he wants, great. If not, not. Turns out, now he LOVES to nurse, way more than he ever used to.

My pediatrician said that nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours is enough for dairy requirements. So if you nurse a bit less and also offer cheese, yogurt, some milk, etc. then you should be fine!
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kristalee View Post
    So if he's "nursing" it's probably mostly for comfort at this point I think.
    Nothing wrong with comfort nursing! I think that's why a lot of toddlers will still go on nursing even when they're down to one or a few sessions a day and there's not much milk there. They just want to be close to mommy.

I guess we will continue to reassess as time goes on. I think he might be teething or having a growth spurt right now because he's been night waking off and on the past week and wants to nurse and stay in my bed the rest of the night. And he fussed until I nursed him after his afternoon nap.