Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: TTC without Weaning

Default TTC without Weaning

Hello! My son is 21 months and loves bfing. He shows no sign of wanting to stop. He used to nurse day and night, but we've recently eliminated night nursing. He still wakes a few times, but he goes back to sleep if we pat him on the back and shush him (no tears!).

My issue now is that I would like to get pregnant again. I got my period back when my son was 16 months old, then had a 70 day cycle, followed by a 69 day cycle. We are nursing in the morning (20 minutes) and at bedtime (15 minutes). I think the "issue" is our naptimes. My son only wants to nap if he's nursing/latched the entire time. And he likes to take 2.5-3 hour naps. This is a very warm and cuddly time, but I worry that it's restricting my fertility. If I got pregnant now, there woud be a 2.5 year age gap. I'd like to get pregnant within the next six months (3 year age gap or less), but I also don't want to sacrifice what my son needs in favor of a child that doesn't even exist yet.

None of the moms I know have any advice because they all stopped bfing ages ago (and think it's ridiculous that I haven't....). If anyone has any advice about TTC while still bfing a toddler, I'd really appreciate it!

Let me know if you need any other info. Thank you!

Default Re: TTC without Weaning

Hello!

From everything I've heard and read breastfeeding only inhibits fertility until the first ovulation postpartum. I am not a medical professional.

It sounds like he is breastfeeding for comfort. My 1 yr old does that at night sometimes. My 2.5 ur old sometimes wakes up and wants to cuddle. I think you just have to do what you what is right for you and your family. I do not think breastfeeding esp only 2 or 3 times a day would stop you from getting pregnant. If you're getting your period then you are fertile.
    Last edited by @llli*kristalee; February 20th, 2015 at 09:59 PM.

Default Re: TTC without Weaning

I think you need more data about what is going on with your body. I strongly suggest getting a copy of Toni Weschler's book Taking Charge of Your Fertility and a good basal body thermometer, and use those two tools to start charting. If there's a problem with your cycle- and very long cycles are often anovulatory- charting will help you pick up on the issue. It's also a good idea to see your health care providers- your general practice doc, your ob/gyn, your midwife- and discuss what you've been experiencing WRT your cycle and also get whatever tests are recommended in between pregnancies. If no-one recommends a test for thyroid function, I think it makes sense to ask for one, because thyroid dysfunction is ridiculously common in postpartum and also frequently overlooked.