Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pressure to wean/scale back at 12 mos bc of my weight

Default Pressure to wean/scale back at 12 mos bc of my weight

Breastfeeding my now 1 yo DS has been wonderful! I would love to continue for another year. Unfortunately, my doctor thinks bfing is causing me to lose too much weight. I have always been slim, but I am now about 10 lbs less than my pre-pregnancy weight and have a very low BMI despite trying to eat more. (Dr said she had to stop bfing her kids for this reason too...).

She said if I won't wean, at least i should cut down to two feeds a day (we were doing 4x a day before, which everyone said is too much). But DS wants to bf more than ever since I've tried to scale back! He is constantly tugging on my shirt and I feel like I spend all day trying to distract him. He is clearly not ready (and really, neither am i), but then I don't want to neglect my own health. My energy has been quite low, truth be told.

So conflicted... Any advice would sure be welcome!
    Last edited by @llli*arisha100; February 20th, 2015 at 07:02 PM.

Default Re: Pressure to wean/scale back at 12 mos bc of my weight

Hi. I'm new to this site, so maybe I shouldn't be giving advice, but I was in your same position a few months ago! My son is 21 months old and we're still bfing. I kept dropping weight and got down to about 15 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight. Two things seemed to help get my weight loss in check - eating oatmeal in the evenings and restricting night nursing. I don't know if this will work for you, but it helped me. We were nursing very often day and night. By cutting back at night, and eating oatmeal (for calories and to keep my supply up), it seemed to stop my weight loss and help me start gaining. I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight now. Maybe even up a few pounds! Like I said, I don't know if this will work for you or not, but I hope it helps!

A very low BMI coupled with low energy is troubling. I'm glad you're seeing your doctor and that she is working with you to find healthy solution.

There are other ways to address your weight loss besides weaning and/or cutting back on nursing. I cannot urge you strongly enough to go see a registered dietitian! Doctors are great for many things, but most doctors receive 8 hours of training on nutrition (if that much!) during their entire medical training. A dietitian with experience treating eating disordered patients could be an invaluable resource. I'm NOT at all suggesting you have an eating disorder, but I do know that working with patients to help them gain weight is a very different skill set than working with more traditional patients who are often looking to lose weight.

In the meantime, here is a link to an online cook book that has calorically dense recipes. These are recipes that contain lots of calories in a "small footprint" so you can eat them without feeling stuffed to the gills and uncomfortable.

http://www.bookemon.com/read-book/320399

I've always been my thinnest as an adult when nursing - also in the 10-15 pounds under my usual weight range at the peak of nursing. And I also had people telling me I needed to stop nursing because I was too thin. I agree with PPs, there are other ways to address the weight issue without weaning. I think seeing a dietitian is a great idea. My personal experience, similar to sally.star, is that when I was no longer nursing round the clock, that let me gain the weight back.

Thanks Sally.star, your advice is very helpful! I'm new too (and not sure if I'm doing this reply right). We don't do any night feeds, but I will start adding a "bedtime snack" to my routine. I can't have oatmeal (celiac disease) but maybe some other kind of porridge. How many times a day are you bfing now?

Virginiamama, thanks, I actually went to a nutritionist a few days ago. She didn't have many big changes to make to my diet, which i guess is good and bad. Thank you for the recipes.

Bfwmom, very reassuring to hear that you went through the same thing (although I'm sorry you did). It's hard to deal with all the pressure. Getting it from parents and MIL and now my doctor. How many feeds a day were you giving when you saw the weight coming back?
    Last edited by @llli*arisha100; February 21st, 2015 at 04:02 AM.

I really question this! Breastfeeding (making milk- lactating) of course uses calories, but normally that is easily made up for by mom eating a bit more. Your baby is 12 months old, nursing only 4 times a day, and surely not taking anywhere as much milk as she did as an infant, so the caloric impact would be quite low at this point. If you feel there is something impacting your health, please do not let anyone blame breastfeeding. get tested and some real answers. Breastfeeding is biologically normal and vital for the success of the species. It just could not possibly cause the many health problems it is accused of. Too often, doctors blame breastfeeding for everything because they do not have any education in the physiology of breastfeeding. Even those who breastfed themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*arisha100 View Post
    Bfwmom, very reassuring to hear that you went through the same thing (although I'm sorry you did). It's hard to deal with all the pressure. Getting it from parents and MIL and now my doctor. How many feeds a day were you giving when you saw the weight coming back?
    Just around the time you are now, as babies headed into toddlerhood. I work and I pump weaned when they were around a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    I really question this! Breastfeeding (making milk- lactating) of course uses calories, but normally that is easily made up for by mom eating a bit more. Your baby is 12 months old, nursing only 4 times a day, and surely not taking anywhere as much milk as she did as an infant, so the caloric impact would be quite low at this point. If you feel there is something impacting your health, please do not let anyone blame breastfeeding. get tested and some real answers. Breastfeeding is biologically normal and vital for the success of the species. It just could not possibly cause the many health problems it is accused of. Too often, doctors blame breastfeeding for everything because they do not have any education in the physiology of breastfeeding. Even those who breastfed themselves.