Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pain in first 30 seconds of breastfeeding

Question pain in first 30 seconds of breastfeeding

I have a 3 week old son who was born via c section. He latched quickly and I had no pain at all for the first 2 weeks. This past week I have terrible pain as he latches on that lasts for about 30 seconds then the pain will subside. This is worse on my right side. His latch is always been fine. I am pumping and freezing for when I return to work but he has been exclusively breastfed. Please help!

Default Re: pain in first 30 seconds of breastfeeding

I suspect you have a latch issue. I had thought latch issues meant constant pain, so assumed I didn't have one since I got toe-curling pain for 10-20 seconds when my son first latched & was otherwise fine. (I was wrong.) What helped me was pinching the areola between two fingers when I offered the breast, to make sure he would take more of it into his mouth. When you finish nursing, what does the nipple look like? It should largely look like a gumdrop (though the top may be a little flatter). There shouldn't be any creases, abnormal cracks, blisters, white areas, etc. Is there an LC or breastfeeding clinic that might be able to help? It's best to sort this out before it gets excruciating; mine got bad enough I was borderline on quitting breastfeeding. (In my case, despite the pain, I had several LCs tell me the latch looked fine, so the problem persisted for a while.)

Thank you for the help. My nipple does look like a gumdrop with no cracks or unusual areas. I guess i will have to try to work on his latch. I do squeeze my breast to try to fit more into his mouth but that doesn't seem to help. I have also tried aiming my nipple to the roof of his mouth before he latches and that has not helped either. If not for those first few seconds we would be just fine, but boy does it hurt! I may have to find an LC to help.

How are your nipples looking? It could be linked to a milk blister or thrush or...

If there's a small white dot it's likely to be a milk blister.

Am not great on the signs of thrush as thankfully haven't dealt with it irl yet! But others can help!

My nipples look just fine, this must be a latch issue. I notice it hurts more when he latches when I'm very full. Maybe the pain subsides after several seconds because once he drinks some he is able to latch better??

mom being full can definitely make it hard for baby to latch or latch comfortably. I have never thought of it that way, but this
    Maybe the pain subsides after several seconds because once he drinks some he is able to latch better??
    makes sense now that you mention it.

Will baby nurse a bit more frequently? Frequent nursing helps prevent overfull breasts.

What latch techniques and positions have you tried? Laid back nursing can help a lot with shallow or otherwise owie latch. But there are many things to try.

More: http://feedthebabyllc.com/latch-and-positioning/

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...-breastfeeding

I am pumping and freezing for when I return to work and that helps when I am too full. The position I usually use is just to cradle him in my arm against my chest. I've also tried the football hold. I checked out the links you posted and will try laid back nursing. Thank you for all of your help!
    update, we just tried laid back feeding on less painful left side and it went very well! There was no pain :-) I am also using lansinoh lanolin which is soothing. Keeping my fingers crossed that we have the same result on the right for his next feeding!
    Last edited by @llli*lauren.d; February 24th, 2015 at 09:57 PM.

Great! I am hopeful the pain will soon be a thing of the past for you.

You might want to watch your pumping frequency and also pump session length and pump setting. Pumping too often can lead to overabundant production, and that of course would mean the breasts get full faster between feedings. Additionally, pumping too often, too long or at too high a setting can cause edema or inflammation in the areola, which, like being very full, also might cause latch issues.