Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis for Eping moms how long to pump?

Default Mastitis for Eping moms how long to pump?

I've come across my first time with mastitis with my 2nd child. I am exclusively pumping due to bad latching and oversupply, and because I find that this is what works for me. Two days ago I woke up feeling achy and with a low grade fever that eventually worked itself up to high fever. I called my doc and I am on antibiotics now. My right breast has a very large lump that wraps around my breast to the bottom tissue. I've read and read and asked several people and they all suggest to 'nurse and nurse' however, this is not an option for me. So, what is an eping mom supposed to do? I've tried warm compresses, massaging in the shower, running a thick comb while in the shower(which has only caused me stretch marks ): ), soaking with epsom salt, pumping every 2-3 hours. However, I do not see an improvement. While I am not getting worse, I don't feel that the lump is breaking down.

When I pump every 2-3 hours I do it for 20-30 min. but I am still seeing milk coming out. I fear that if I pump for too long I may trick my body to thinking I need to produce more, which I don't need at the moment. But if I don't pump longer I am still leaving milk and not fully emptying making matters worse?

I really don't know what to do. Many forums and sites do not talk about eping moms. My breast and lump area is so sore to the touch probably from over massaging the area. Help!!! What should I do? Should I pump longer or should I continue the short sessions? I've tried hand expressing as well but omg it hurts soo much! And again, I feel like I'm irritating it more. It's swollen at this point what can I do for inflammation also?

I read one of the articles in this site that someone had a plugged duct and pumped for 4 hours straight, while it did cause a blister and sore nipple but it finally came out. What if I did this? Would I be pumping both sides or just the plugged one? Anyone else tried this?
    Last edited by @llli*mili2012; February 19th, 2015 at 12:05 AM.

Default Re: Mastitis for Eping moms how long to pump?

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear about this!

I EP'd for my DS but never got plugged ducts or mastitis. I am now nursing (and pumping at my work) DD and have gotten mastitis 3 times in her 9 months of life. Go figure.

As with you, a lot of the typical plugged duct advice (heat, massage, nursing a lot) did not help. In fact, I think it may have made things worse sometimes. Heat and massage will both likely increase inflammation, which isn't what you want.

What has worked for me is: taking 600mg of ibuprofen (it's an anti-inflammatory) every 4-6 hours (I am not a doc, so check with yours first), taking soy lechitin (you can find more about this on Kellymom.com) and using my electric toothbrush on the lump (the vibration can help break up the lump). All of that plus some time (a few days) and they would finally clear.

Good luck and well done on EPing. It's a hard road and takes tremendous dedication.

My understanding is that when you have mastitis, emptying the breast is your first priority, and managing your supply is a secondary consideration. So I would work to get that milk out of the plugged area, even if doing so requires a lot of pumping that results in increased supply. You can always work on supply and getting it adjusted to the right level- that's your long term project, right? But mastitis is your here-and-now project, so I would work on that first.

Were you still doing the warm compresses and massaging along with the ibuprofen and lecithin? I just started to take lecithin yesterday so i'm hoping it will help. Also, I have to return to work on Monday since I was supposed to go back Tuesday from maternity leave but go mastitis instead. I'm hoping to be able to pump often to avoid it getting worse. How often were you nursing?
    Thank you for your reply! I am hopeful to hear someone with a different response. I honestly don't think what people are suggesting is working for me. I hope this works even if it takes a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    My understanding is that when you have mastitis, emptying the breast is your first priority, and managing your supply is a secondary consideration. So I would work to get that milk out of the plugged area, even if doing so requires a lot of pumping that results in increased supply. You can always work on supply and getting it adjusted to the right level- that's your long term project, right? But mastitis is your here-and-now project, so I would work on that first.
    So do you think I should pump both sides or just the infected one? How often should I pump? 2-3 hours just like nursing?

Do you feel like you have a plugged duct? I have posted on here before that I had mastitis (raging fever came on) but got everything cleared out within 24 hours so didn't need antibiotics. But I did have a lump that remained and my midwife and LC told me it was likely a plugged duct. I worked at it like crazy and my instincts told me this was wrong. I then found this information on Dr. Jack Newman's site.

Fever is often gone by 24 hours, the pain within 24 to 72 hours and the breast lump disappears over the next 5 to 7 days. Occasionally the lump takes longer than 7 days to disappear completely, but as long as it’s getting small, this is a good thing.
    I stopped bothering it and it went away. The second time I got mastitis, it happened again, and same thing happened.

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...ename=doc-BD-M
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Were you still doing the warm compresses and massaging along with the ibuprofen and lecithin?
    No, I stopped doing warm compresses and massage because I felt they were creating more inflammation which is not what I wanted (obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mili2012 View Post
    So do you think I should pump both sides or just the infected one? How often should I pump? 2-3 hours just like nursing?
    I'd recommend pumping just the plugged side. Then you won't be increasing supply in both sides.

How often? It sounds like you're already pumping on a good frequent and regular schedule so I'd think you'd be fine sticking to that with maybe an additional session here and there if you can fit it in. I am hesitant to recommend a lot of pumping because it's just more work for you and rest is also an important element to getting better.

Are you feeling any better today?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamawin View Post
    I'd recommend pumping just the plugged side. Then you won't be increasing supply in both sides.
    Pump the infected side until it is as empty as you can make it. Pump the other side as usual.