Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling like I am failing my boy

Default Re: Feeling like I am failing my boy

Here you go. I have shamelessly copied her post!
    Links: BN website http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/

Many latch and positioning ideas in one article: http://feedthebabyllc.com/latch-and-positioning/

Nancy Morhbacher Laid Back Blog entries: http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...-breastfeeding

This AD for the DVD shows many pics of moms doing laid back and a simple explanation of BN. Just watch the ad, no need to purchase the DVD. http://www.geddesproduction.com/brea...-laid-back.php

Thank you!

We did one laid back feed today and he was on for 12 minutes hopefully it continues. My husband did a bottle feed tonight and we did 2 ounces and didn't force anymore. Thanks for the recommendation for that. I was getting so worried that he should be eating like 4 ounces in a feeding which is what i have read before.

Most of the advice about bottles is based on formula-fed babies, not breastfed ones. And even formula-fed babies can prefer smaller amounts more frequently instead of large amounts less frequently- one of my friend's kids was formula-fed and he would take an oz or maybe 2 and then want to do something else for a while. It took f.o.r.e.v.e.r. to give that kid a bottle, even when he was close to a year!

Also baby bottles are all TOO BIG. What are moms supposed to think when the 4 ounce bottles are considered the small ones?

Just an update, yesterday he straight up refused to eat. He would get hungry and scream, scream scream at the breast and the bottle. I got him to eat only three times yesterday and one took my husband sushing in his ear for 15 minutes to get him to be calm while eating. Today was more of the same. He will suck a pacifier, my chest, my shoulder, his hands but not my boob or the bottle....

If your baby is this upset and not wanting to eat much at all, I am wondering if baby is ill or teething or has reflux?

As another thought, which I am not sure applies but I will throw it out there- baby is about 3 months old, and that is when some dramatic yet normal changes sometimes occur with breastfeeding. Here is further description of this: 3-4 months or so is a notorious time for fussy behavior and 'weird' changes in nursing. Baby may be very distracted or appear disinterested in nursing, or get very fussy when nursing. Baby might nurse less often, and/or nurse for a shorter time. Conversely, baby may nurse more often and even appear 'dissatisfied.' Additionally, many moms feel changes at around this time. They feel less full, or no longer full at all. They might stop feeling any letdown sensation if they did feel it previously. Due to these changes in how they feel and how baby behaves, they begin to question their milk production. At the same time, infant growth rate slows quite a bit after about 3 months. Taken all together, this can be very alarming, but it is in fact usually all entirely normal.

This is called the four month fussies in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. In his book My Child Won't Eat, Carlos Gonzalez calls this the "Crisis at Three Months." He calls it a crises, even though it is entirely normal, because so many moms become convinced they do not make enough milk and start supplementing, and then that causes real breastfeeding problems.