Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it best not to time how long baby is on the breast?

Default Is it best not to time how long baby is on the breast?

I saw Sheri Bayles' breastfeeding video last night and she suggests not feeding past 15 minutes on each breast, since it will lead to soreness. But from what I've read through LLL, it's best not to time nursing since all babies are different. Right?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Is it best not to time how long baby is on the breast?

You are correct.

"Watch the baby, not the clock." Plus, watching the clock can drive you nuts ... let your little one determine when, how long and how often he/she wants to nurse.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I agree.

I second that! Watching the clock can and will lead to much stress!

I agree. The baby will let you know when he is done. Watch them, not the clock. If you watch the clock and stop them before they are finished, you are just going to end up feeding again. Best let them let you know when they are finished!

I agree too but I know it is tempting b/c our breast do not have a gauge to reassure us that our LO is getting enough milk. The wise women of these boards have convienced me that I should just let my LO leed th feedings and she has been gaining weight since I stated doing it. She is up to 10.1 pounds today (2 months today) and we are so happy b/c she lost a lot of weight in the first few weeks.
    Your LO will let you know how long to nurse!!
    Good luck.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon View Post
    You are correct.

"Watch the baby, not the clock." Plus, watching the clock can drive you nuts ... let your little one determine when, how long and how often he/she wants to nurse.
    OMG this is sooo true! I made that mistake with my TWINS!!! Can you just imagine the stress and confusion of trying to time them?! It was the worse thing I did! I even had a note pad with me all the time! How foolish I was! Couldn't do it anymore after the first few wks. I listened to the nurse at the hospital tell me that they had to eat for at least 15 minutes. Well they were sleepy babies and would only eat for 10 minutes. I couldn't keep up with the clock...the problem is... I should of been trying to keep up with my babies!

counting diapars is a beter way to go about figuring out if your baby is getting the milk they need.
    at least 5-6 wet diapars and 2-5 poops the size of a quarter. A baby older then 6 weeks might poop less often.
    weight gain of at least 4-8 oz a week. Weight gain should be counted from the lowest point after birth not birth weight.
    If you have Iv fluids during labor your baby might have some extra fluids and this will cause his birth weight to be higher then it normaly would have been.
    most babies loose 7-10% before they start to gain, thats normal.

OMG I am embarrased to admit this but the 1st 2 weeks I kept track in a book on how long Chloe fed and when! LOL I realized she was thriving and I did not need the added stress and I stopped and never looked back! So I say nope, just let your LO nurse for however long they want!

I did keep track for the first couple of weeks with my youngest, only because I had problems with an older child when he was born, and the doctors were asking a million questions: How often are you feeding? For how long? How many diapers? How many dirty? Until I started to really get the hang of it, I kept track. Our hospital had a handy "tally" sheet, that didn't have how long LO nursed, but how many times during the day, and how many wet/dirty diapers.

I also only watched the clock for the first couple of weeks, just for the first 10 minutes or so on each side. It was more because I tried to encourage my LO to feed at LEAST 10 minutes on each side (I NEVER limited the time he fed), but he often would go to sleep after only a minute or two, so I'd work hard to keep him feeding for a longer stretch. After a couple of weeks, I quit watching the clock because he stopped falling asleep so easily, and was gaining adequately.

Lisa