Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the minimum?

Default What's the minimum?

I have been very confused about this. I've asked in another thread but I think most people missed it.

I was wondering what the minimum amount of nursing sessions a baby should have after they begin drinking and eating other stuff? As for younger babies, before solids, I know the guidelines are 8-12x per 24-hour period. I also know all babies are different and that they may WANT to continue nursing just as much after starting solids. But my question is, what's the bare minumum? of course I will let DD continue to nurse as she needs/wants anyways, but I'd really like to know what is the least amount of sessions we should have in 24 hours... Just so I have new guidelines to follow. Does it stay at around 8 or is it safe to go less some days?

Thanks!

Default Re: What's the minimum?

Totally off topic, but Sasha, your new haircut is HOT!!! RRrrrowwrrr!

I agree. Both of you are cute. I love the collage.

Anyway. Are you just asking for when you start solids? Because isn't Sophie just 3 months old?

Mia started solids a month or so ago and doesn't eat much but she nurses about 8-12 a day still. I don't know what the minimum is. At night sometimes she nurses away eating up to 8 times a night. Other nights she sleeps through eating maybe only once or twice. So I would say all babies are different and some may only eat 5 or 6 times a day by 6 months when solids are started. They are probably getting more at one sitting though.
    I am no professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Evin View Post
    Totally off topic, but Sasha, your new haircut is HOT!!! RRrrrowwrrr!
    WOO! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mia'sMom View Post
    I agree. Both of you are cute. I love the collage.
    Anyway. Are you just asking for when you start solids? Because isn't Sophie just 3 months old?
    Thank you!! And yes, I am just asking for when she DOES start. She certainly hasn't started yet.

I agree... hot mama!
    Mom to 3 awesome kiddos...
    C - 9yrs

O - 7yrs
    A - 1yr old in Nov '15

I don't know either. I never kept count but my youngest drove me near crazy from about six months to twelve months because she wasn't interested in solids but seemed to me she hardly nursed either. She would nurse all night and to nap for long periods of time but in the daytime she would be on and off in minute or less. She kept growing fine and had plenty of dipes and that is what I kept an eye on.

When solids are started, they shouldn't be taking the place of the complete nutrition of breastmilk until after a year. Therefore, LLL reccomends that mom bf baby before offering solids. With that in mind, I would assume it stay right around the 8-12 feedings/ day. Remember though, that your baby will most likely be far more efficient at getting her meals through the breast by six months and feedings may be shorter. You are right on track when you mentioned you would follow your baby's lead for when she wants to nurse. This should continue at least through the first year. As always, if you watch your lo's elimination patterns (poopie and wet diapers) you can be assured your lo is getting plenty!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I second the PP. You should still be nursing the same amount as before you introduced solids. The solids complement nursing sessions. I would say that the minimum amount she should be nursing is seven times in a 24 hour period, but it will be more like 8-12. LO is seven months old (today!) and we started when he was six months old. He still nurses every two hours, and before and after a feeding.

I also second the PPs on your pic! Hot mama!

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    I agree... hot mama!
    Hehe why thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by momuvseven View Post
    She kept growing fine and had plenty of dipes and that is what I kept an eye on.
    I suppose this is the way to go, it's the advice I got fro the beginning, and the advice I continue to get. A valuable piece of information! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fezzik812 View Post
    I would assume it stay right around the 8-12 feedings/ day ... As always, if you watch your lo's elimination patterns (poopie and wet diapers) you can be assured your lo is getting plenty!
    Thanks for the advice. I figured she would continue to nurse that much, but wasn't sure if food replaced any feedings or is simply supposed to be an addition. I suppose we can figure out a pattern that works for us as long as diapies are good!

There is no way to answer your question. Every baby is different and how much they get at each nursing session is dependent on several variables including your storage capacity, their efficiency and also their style (snackers or the 4-course meal type).

DS has been trying out solids for about 2 months now. He has not decreased the frequency of his feedings. In fact, I think they have increased b/c he is SO active now (crawling and cruising) that he is burning a lot of calories and getting hungry more often. What I have noticed in the past 8 months is the frequency has not changed but the time it takes has significantly shortened.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001