Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation after 18 mos. of nursing then Cold-Turkey?

Default Relactation after 18 mos. of nursing then Cold-Turkey?

Hello,

I exclusively breastfed my daughter until she was 18 mos. She will be 24 mos in March. I nursed her up until the day I left her with my mother in order to return to university. The first semester was rough, especially with Mother-Child separation anxiety and probably made worse by my decision to just abruptly discontinue nursing. Given that this semester is lighter in courseload, I decided to bring her back to take care of her full-time. Her first night back she attempted to latch on and asked me for milk I was very thrilled to think that we could resume our special relationship and possibly nurse for a couple more years.

Some additional info.:
    For the first month, milk supply was good but declined
    Boobs were not receptive to pump, although I now believe it was due to wrong breastshield size after switching to better pump

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, Reni

Default Re: Relactation after 18 mos. of nursing then Cold-Turkey?

I would let you daughter latch as much/as little as she wants and go from there

Pumping can re - establish milk supply but that is easier with the natural stimulation of a little one suckling. I don't know how much you'd need to pump to get supply back or how much supply you'd want/need for an older nursling tho. Hoping my reply bumps this for more knowledgeable people!

Default Re: Relactation after 18 mos. of nursing then Cold-Turkey?

Thank you for your reply! I've since purchased More Milk Plus capsules to see if any good would come, however I now remember what turned me off of the product when my daughter was first born. Headaches! I don't know if I will discontinue using them again. I would like to have my supply up to at least 1-2oz/day, if possible. Just enough for a comfort/night feed. With her around me 24hrs, it seems that she mentions my boobs or milk 1-2x/day, so I'd like to come through for her when she asks.