Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping troubles- lump after pumping

Cool Pumping troubles- lump after pumping

Hi

I've successfully breastfed my son for 4 months now. I hope to continue breastfeeding (via pumping) when I return to work in 2 months' time.

However, I am experiencing a problem. Whenever I pump the right breast, i get quite a lot of milk (2-4 oz) and the breast seems quite soft. But about 2-3 hours later, a painful horizontal lump will gradually form just beneath the aerola. I then nurse the baby on that breast in order to clear the lump.

I am guessing that the pump is not clearing the milk properly in this breast but am not sure how to resolve it. No such problem when pumping the left breast.

Has anyone experienced this and how to resolve it? thanks

Default Re: Pumping troubles- lump after pumping

Are you sure that your breastshield is fitting properly? Here's a link with some info:
    http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/faq/b...hield_fit.html

Thumbs up Re: Pumping troubles- lump after pumping

Hi Jolie,

thanks - i don't really know and i think that might be something I should look into. I don't experience any pain around the edge of the nipple while pumping or flecks of skin and the nipple appears to be moving freely but I'm probably not the best judge of this!

What I do know is that my right nipple is slightly larger than the left one (by 2-3mm) and my right aerola is quite a bit larger than the left one, plus the right nipple is not centered in the aerola but higher up. Perhaps this makes the breast shield not fit too well.

I currently use the Avent Isis pump and the Medela Harmony (both manual) with the standard sized nipple shields. I do notice that with the Medela, the lump takes longer to form.

Apart from the breast shield size, do you think there might be other reasons?
    Appreciate any views or thoughts- thanks!

It sounds like the pump is not adequately draining that part of the breast, at least from the way you describe it. I would definitely look into a different size breast shell. Another trick you might try is to gently massage or compress on that area while pumping. Many moms find that a little massage or breast compression during pumping can improve the output. The main thing you want to consider is to just compress or massage to comfort, and always massage TOWARD the nipple, the direction the milk would be going anyway.

I'd be interested to hear if you think this might work for you.

Best wishes,
    Karen Smith
    LLL Leader, IL

Unhappy Re: Pumping troubles- lump after pumping

Hi karen,

thanks for your input- Yes i have tried massaging and pressing around the area while I pump. It seems to help to drain some of the milk out but not all. So if I pump 2-3 times a day, after the first pumping, the lump that forms isn't too big or painful. However, after the second pumping (also with massage etc.), the lump gets bigger and painful.

(NB: I assume breast compression just means squeezing the breast so that milk flows out?)