Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could I be creating too much fore milk by waiting?

Default Could I be creating too much fore milk by waiting?

Advice needed on foremilk/hindmilk balance: Could going for too long between changing breasts be actually increasing my foremilk supply instead of balancing it? My seven week old and I would really love to get this straightened out! We started off by doing 2/3 hour block feedings and her stools where back to normal. Thinking the issue was resolved I began offering only one breast at feedings ... But for fear of not getting the deeper hindmilk I choose to return to the same breast several times until it felt "empty" (for lack of a better word) ... Like for example offering the right brest from 7pm until 2am (7 hour span) and now I'm afraid the left breast has gone too long without feeding therefore increasing foremilk? Am I reversing the progress we already made by prolonging switching aides? This exclusive breastfeeding has been more challenging than expected. Your advice, compassion, and knowledge is greatly welcomed.

Default Re: Could I be creating too much fore milk by waiting?

The first thing to know about foremilk/hindmilk "imbalance" is that it's really just another name for oversupply. Can you tell us what symptoms of oversupply you have been experiencing? These would be things like:
    - Frequent feelings of fullness or engorgement
    - Lots of leaking (if you are a mom who leaks)
    - Strong letdown sensation (if you are mom who experiences that sensation)
    - Ability to pump multiple oz of milk with ease (if you are pumping)
    - Baby may resist nursing
    - Baby may feed very rapidly, in as little as 5-10 minutes
    - Baby may "clamp down" or pull off the breast while nursing
    - If baby pulls off the breast while nursing, mom may observe milk squirting or streaming from the breast
    - Baby coughs, gags, splutters, clicks, or clucks while nursing
    - Baby may have poop which is frequently or always green or greenish
    - Baby may gain weight extremely rapidly, with weight gain of 1lb per week not unusual

As mommal says, so called 'too much foremilk' tends to only happen if there is overproduction.

Could going for too long between changing breasts be actually increasing my foremilk supply instead of balancing it?
    Could you be creating a situation where baby is getting more foremilk each feeding by not switching sides more often, than they would otherwise? Yes. The longer milk stays in the breast without release, the more there is when baby nurses, and the faster it will come out, and that means, more foremilk into baby than otherwise. (Please note this is not usually a big problem.) If you continue to block nurse, this will eventually reduce, probably. The problem with that is that it is your milk production that is what is actually reducing from block feeding, and you may not want that or may not want more of that.

This is why block nursing is a remedy for overproduction, as it reduces milk production. Yes, in the long run, the reducing of milk production may also reduce the strength of milk flow, but is NOT (in the immediate) an answer to foremilk/hindmilk concerns. This is also why it is usually best to address any foremilk-hindmilk concerns that are causing breastfeeding issues by nursing very often and nursing reclined (baby on top of you.) Because you do not want to reduce your milk production unless that is really needed. If overproduction is severe enough to warrant reducing your milk production, and baby is gaining very rapidly, then block nursing may be appropriate, although, may not be necessary. It depends.

Also there is the idea of whether 'too much foremilk' is a problem, really? Not in most cases. More of a problem is thinking you have to do anything special or think so much about how to nurse a baby. In most cases, you do not.

The simplest thing to so, assuming baby is gaining well and generally healthy, and there is not an issue of severe overproduction which requires intervention, is to nurse as often as baby wishes, as well as offer to nurse as much as YOU wish, let baby nurse as long on one side as baby wishes, and then offer the other. If baby wants the other, fine, if not, fine, just start the next session on that side. If you are starting to feel full or need baby to nurse more often or take one side or the other, use that feeling to guide you as well.

And even if you do block nurse, feedings should be frequent.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; February 8th, 2015 at 07:09 PM.

Thank you for your prompt reply! I feel so supported already by LLLI!

Yes. I have oversupply. I met with a lactation consultant last week. I wont be able to speak to her again until Tuesday so that is why I posted for extra support from this amazing community!

My symptoms:
    - Frequent feelings of fullness or engorgementespecially my right breast
    - Strong letdown sensation (if you are mom who experiences that sensation)yes
    - Baby may resist nursing this just started recently ... kicking, crying, upset - until I can shove my boob in her mouth!
    - Baby may feed very rapidly, in as little as 5-10 minutes feedings last between 10-15 minutes
    - Baby may "clamp down" or pull off the breast while nursing she does pull off the breast
    - If baby pulls off the breast while nursing, mom may observe milk squirting or streaming from the breast yes I see it streaming from my nipple when she pulls off
    - Baby coughs, gags, splutters, clicks, or clucks while nursing she coughs, gags, and sputters often during feedings
    - Baby may have poop which is frequently or always green or greenish indeed ... this was what alarmed me to the imbalance. green poop for 2 weeks +

What about weight gain?

Here is a nice article about the dos and don'ts of block nursing, http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/tag/block-feeding and here is another from the same source about helping baby handle a fast flow. http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...-breastfeeding

and another about foremilk hindmilk: http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...emilk-hindmilk

I also had overproduction and what worked best for me was to nurse as often as baby would, nursing one side at a time (usually.) I was way to disorganized to block feed.
    Other moms find block nursing is helpful. (Since you are getting engorged, and this is potentially a much bigger problem than green poop, remember you can release some milk to avoid getting too engorged even when 'blocking' that side.)
    But no matter what, foremilk/hindmilk is pretty much a non issue that you need not worry about. As long as your baby is gaining well, you can just work on the overproduction side of things IF needed and not worry about the other. Milk production tends to start calming down between 6 weeks and 3 months in most cases even if block nursing is not done, unless mom is doing something to make it continue (pumping when not needed for separations or taking galactagogues, for example.)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    What about weight gain?

Here is a nice article about the dos and don'ts of block nursing, http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/tag/block-feeding and here is another from the same source about helping baby handle a fast flow. http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...-breastfeeding

and another about foremilk hindmilk: http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...emilk-hindmilk

I also had overproduction and what worked best for me was to nurse as often as baby would, nursing one side at a time (usually.) I was way to disorganized to block feed.
    Other moms find block nursing is helpful. (Since you are getting engorged, and this is potentially a much bigger problem than green poop, remember you can release some milk to avoid getting too engorged even when 'blocking' that side.)
    But no matter what, foremilk/hindmilk is pretty much a non issue that you need not worry about. As long as your baby is gaining well, you can just work on the overproduction side of things IF needed and not worry about the other. Milk production tends to start calming down between 6 weeks and 3 months in most cases even if block nursing is not done, unless mom is doing something to make it continue (pumping when not needed for separations or taking galactagogues, for example.)
    thx, i got it.