Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Are Chemical Peels OK while breastfeeding?

Default Are Chemical Peels OK while breastfeeding?

Sorry if this sounds shallow or selfish, but I've been either pregnant or nursing for the past 7-1/2 years and am feeling like I look old and hideous b/c I haven't been able to focus on myself for so long, so I decided to take advantage of a local deal on a chemical peel. After I booked my appointment, it struck me that this might not be safe since I'm still breastfeeding my 2 year old. Is there a source somewhere for what is safe and what is not (beyond medications)?

I'm also getting a CT scan tomorrow, but this is for a medical reason and I don't have much of a choice. I read online that this IS safe--is that true?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Are Chemical Peels OK while breastfeeding?

Anyone? If you don't know the answer, do you know a reputable online source where I might be able to find the answer?

I am afraid I know little about chemical peels, what the chemicals are, or how much the chemicals might actually enter your blood systemically, how long they may stay there, whether they transfer into breastmilk from your blood, and whether they are bioavailable if they do, and if the amount a two year old would get would be anything to be concerned about. If you call the folks at infantrisk, (www.infantrisk.com) with the specific chemicals, they may be able to guide you about this as well as the ct scan. Also here is info on ct scans and nursing from kellymom, which I consider a reliable information source: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...radioisotopes/

Have you ever had a chemical peel? I also suggest do your research about them and also specifically about the place giving the free ones. Maybe you can brainstorm with your family about strategies for getting more sleep. That along with a healthy diet and good hydration and a good moisturizer may help you feel and look better more reliably and with far less risk than a chemical peel. http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proc...s/prc-20023436

I had a couple facials while pregnant (I had horrible breakouts) and emailed the company (Dermalogica) to ask about anything contraindicated in pregnancy. The told me what to make sure the aesthetician didn't use (she is a friend and was careful about fragrances and such, also). I believe a chemical peel was a part of the facial. I'm not sure how much they really know about it, but I felt like the very short time it was on my face there wouldn't be a problem. I also have had facials without a chemical peel component using Dr. Hauschka products, where are natural and holistic, although not perfect from what I've read (use some fragrances). But I agree, Infantrisk is the place to call if you get info about the chemical peels.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.