Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Two questions about cereal

Default Two questions about cereal

In the beginning, should the amount she eats be 1 tablespoon TOTAL cereal (mixed with BM) or 1 tbspn of the actual dry stuff and then mixed with the BM, which yields much more than 1 tbspn? She's pretty much eating just 1 Tbspn of mixed cereal total...not sure what I should be expecting right now. it's day two.

Second question--is it okay that I don't make the cereal as thin as it says to start out with? She really doesn't like the soupy stuff--she likes it better slightly thicker, like 1 T dry with slightly more than 1 T BM. Does it have to be super thin? She doesn't choke or gag on it at all.

thanks!

Default Re: Two questions about cereal

Let her eat what she wants to eat, start small, when you see she wants more increase it. Unfortunately there is no exact science. With my older two I swear I was doing the tablespoon thing for like a month and they were starving. Just give her what she wants. They really won't starve if you are still breastfeeding, that is where most of their nutrients come from the food is just to get them ready for life after BF.

No reason to make it runnier than she likes it. No reason to worry about how much she's eating (unless she's actually eating too much, since this could negatively affect her nursing).

Watch for the constipation!