Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Possible to have milk duct at base of nipple?

Default Possible to have milk duct at base of nipple?

I have been EBF my 3-month olds since birth. Just a few days ago I noticed a small drop of milk at the base of my left nipple, just between the nipple & areola. I brushed it away, but when I squeezed my left breast, I saw the milk was coming from that very spot, rather than rolling down from the tip of the nipple. Is it possible to have a milk duct here? Should I be concerned? I saw it again today. When I examine the spot, I see it is a tiny bump, slightly white In color. If I think about it, I'd say it stings slightly but not noticeably.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Possible to have milk duct at base of nipple?

I got out my copy of Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession, and if I understand it correctly (not being anything close to a medical professional!), it does sound like it's possible to have a few ducts around the base of the nipple.

A white bump that stings could be a milk blister or bleb, which is basically a duct opening that the skin has grown over and there's some milk blocked up behind it. If it were to start causing you pain while nursing, this page at KellyMom might have some useful suggestions: How do you treat a milk blister?

But if it doesn't normally hurt or cause problems with breastfeeding, there's probably nothing to be concerned about.

I have heard multiple reports of moms having milk outlets on the areola or on weird places on the nipple. In addition, moms with old nipple piercings sometimes have milk leak from the old piercing holes.