Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: domperidone not working any longer

Default domperidone not working any longer

Two weeks ago, I started taking domperidone and it seemed like it really really helped after about 3 days. I had nice full breasts, baby was gaining weight much better than he had been, and we hadn't needed to give him as many bottles of pumped milk after a feeding. Also, when I did pump after each feeding (like I had been for the month prior to starting the domperidone) instead of getting an ounce or less, I was getting closer to 1 ½ or 2 ounces. I refilled my prescription on Saturday to start my third week and on Sunday night and then Monday and Tuesday, I am completely empty! My breasts don't feel full, I'm back to pumping nearly nothing and baby isn't as satisfied after feeding. I can really feel a significant difference in my breasts because last week, they would almost feel like I was getting plugged ducts when I went long between feedings. Then, it really just stopped! So, 2 questions: 1) has this happened to anyone else and if so, what did you do? And 2) if anyone had any advice even if it hasn't dom happened, please help!

Default Re: domperidone not working any longer

It's not normal for breasts to feel full. It's actually a sign of slight over supply so that in itself doesn't mean the dom isn't working.

Can you give a bit more background on why you started the domperidone, what weight gain has been like, how muvh and how often you've been supplementing etc.

I'll try and reply better later too but DD just woke do gotta run!

Ok, so my daughter is playing quietly so am going to attempt to reply better. What I *think* is happening is that baby isn't transferring milk effectively at the breast and that feeding hasn't been assessed properly. Now that is making some hug assumptions about your story, and so I could be completely wrong. The reason I assume that is my DD had issues and the only time she seemed to feed ok from me was when my breasts were so full, looking at them made milk come out. At a normal supply she just wasn't getting satiated.

So, have you seen anyone to have baby assessed for potential issues, including but not limited to tongue tie, lip tip, high/misshapen palate, weak/ineffective suck patterns? How does baby's latch look to you? Can you see/hear your baby swallow when at the breast? Are you able to get any hands on support, preferably from an IBCLC - this is usually covered by medical insurance in the US, it's possible but more complicated in the UK and I don't know about other countries.

Domperidone can only do so much for supply, how often are you pumping and are you double pumping with a hospital grade double pump? If not renting one of these while you sort the underlying issues is a good idea

I was on dom for 11 months, without my breasts being rock hard, but what sorting my daughters feeding/weight gain was support with her latch/tongue motion.

I hope some other chip in, and that you can give us some more detail so we can help you a bit more!

Sorry for short replies!
    FT SAHM who and has become bf obsessed after a rocky start!

Hi! Thanks for getting back to me. Weight gain has been slow: born at 6#6oz and this week he was 8#6oz -- he will be two months old on Thursday. The IBCLC we were working with didn't catch his lip tie but an IBCLC at a LLL meeting did and that was revised 10 days ago. Feedings were better after that but not significantly better. What seemed to make the most difference was the increased milk after the domperidone started kicking in. My breasts would feel full--not rock hard, just heavy with milk - and my LO was much more aggressive at the breast and seemed satiated. Then, Sunday, the milk just seemed to go away. They were full for the morning and afternoon feedings and then in the evening, they didn't feel full and when I went to pump, I got almost nothing (less than an ounce) whereas the day before I was getting any 1½ to 2½ ounces per pump without much effort (not needing to do much breast massage or compressions during pumping). The only thing that was different was that on Saturday, I had the prescription refilled but otherwise, activity level, water intake, food intake, stress, etc., was the same. It was such a quick change, it just seemed so odd to me! I called the pharmacy and they gave me a new set of pills on the off chance something was wrong with that set but that was just today so I don't know if that was the issue yet. I'm not sure if this answers all your questions but any help or advice would be great!

Did either LC do a weighted feed to assess how much milk baby us getting in an average feed?

As said in my first post your breath aren't supposed to feel full so while domperidone may do that temporarily it certainly won't long term. Mine never felt full by DD being 8-12 weeks old even with Dom, it didn't mean I didn't have enough milk.

Was posterior TT ruled out? They are really common with LT's. Are you able to see the second LC again?