Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 22 month old still waking up constantly at night to nurse

Question 22 month old still waking up constantly at night to nurse

My beautiful son has never slept more than 5 hours straight. I thought he would grow out of it but he is now almost 2 years old and he still wakes up every 3 hours. I thought it was his teeth/molars but now I am thinking it might be something else. He does just wake up and roll over looking and asking for boob and then goes right off back to sleep (we co-sleep) but I am exhausted. Some nights he still wakes up every hour but usually thats when he is teething. Is he just waking to nurse and should I start saying no? I am so so tired and I really don't know what to do at this point. He doesn't have any medical problems that I know of. I tried putting him to bed earlier but that doesn't help and he wakes up even more often when I do that.

He usually takes a 2-3 hour nap during the day and then goes to be at 10pm wakes up at 9am.

Any ideas or suggestions? Should I start weaning him??

Default Re: 22 month old still waking up constantly at night to nurs

At some point I told my toddler that the milk goes to sleep when the sun does, and when she woke at night wanting to nurse, I reminded her of that and told her we would nurse in the morning. It worked very nicely for us and it has been a long time since she asked to nurse at night (she's now almost three), she still nurses plenty during the day. Worth a try?

I've seen other moms on here recommend the Jay Gordon method of nightweaning: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html.

I think you can solve this without complete weaning...

If your toddler is pretty good at understanding books, there are a couple along the lines of what the PP said called 'nursies when the sun shines'

I did see the Jay Gordon method and really liked it. I will give it a try. I wasn't sure if anyone else's kid was the same or if I'm doing something wrong. *sigh*

You aren't doing anything wrong! I have a couple of good friends who are just at the point of discussing/debating whether to night wean. One has a 18 month and one a 2 and a bit.

I think sometimes we have an idealistic picture of what feeding/weaning looks like in our heads and our children like to prove us wrong! Before I had a child I genuinely thought all 1-2 year olds only fed 3 times a day, and that I would feed until my child self weaned etc. Now I have a child it all looks a lot different!

Every child and family is unique and I think you just have to do what works for your family

I read an interesting article over the weekend about a book that talks about child-rearing in different cultures. The author of the article talks about the fact that how people sleep is culturally determined. In our culture there's an expectation that children will sleep by themselves for a long stretch of hours through the night, but that looks very different in other cultures. None of it is right or wrong, it's just different. But feel free to use it as an excuse to do whatever works for you, as PP says!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pfeiffer909 View Post
    I did see the Jay Gordon method and really liked it. I will give it a try. I wasn't sure if anyone else's kid was the same or if I'm doing something wrong. *sigh*
    Thank you for posting. I'm in the same situation with my 25 month old and my husband and I were trying to decide if it could be a medical reason. She wakes up screaming almost every night. Sometimes it comes and goes, but she's always been that way...which leads me to the conclusion that she is the way she is. Every kid is different!

What bfwmomof3 said, too. There is such an expectation of independence put on little ones, but when you consider humans from an evolutionary perspective there must have been a huge benefit from a child waking all night to make sure Mom and Dad were still there so that the toddler wouldn't end up being a midnight snack for a hungry predator. And of course the easiest way to get a screaming bf toddler back to sleep might be nursing!

Definitely do whatever works for you. But it's okay to change things if it's just not working for you anymore (you mentioned you were exhausted!). I felt guilty about night weaning but finally was able to accept that I needed at least a few hours of uninterrupted sleep to function as a person. I ended up sleeping on the couch for a week, and my daughter took "No nursing until morning" very well from my husband. She isn't able to take no from me, I think she sees it as a personal rejection.
    and Mama to two little girls