Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 WO - Shallow Latch, can it improve?(LONG!)

Default Re: 8 WO - Shallow Latch, can it improve?(LONG!)

Gosh, thanks everyone for your encouragement. I've been away from the computer for a few days and didn't want to piddle around with replying on my phone. The past couple of days have actually been even better in terms of improved feedings. I would say we're more at 70% good.

I do see her pediatrician tomorrow, and two of the things I want to ask about are her lip tie and if we should continue with the cranial therapy. Her ped is very pro-breastfeeding and is an all around awesome doctor; I have a lot of faith in whatever direction she thinks we should go. I'm leaning towards another CST appointment or two because that's been one of the only things that's made a noticeable difference.

annie0987 - yes, check out the kellymom links for CST. They were what convinced me to pursue it in the first place. In my experience, it sort of looks like what I would imagine a chiropractic adjustment would look like, but from what I understand it is a certain type of adjustment. The DO that I saw even went so far to say that getting the tongue tie clipped was unnecessary and that the tightness in her neck/jaw was the real problem. I don't know if I totally believe him because I know that TT can be such a terrible issue, but it was an interesting way of looking at it. You don't HAVE to go to a chiro to get it done. Some lactation consultants know how to perform CST, as do some pediatric DOs. Just make sure that they specialize in working with infants and breastfeeding issues. I don't know how it is outside of the US, but I think if we see an actual DO vs. a regular old chiropractor, our health insurance covers it. We haven't gotten any of the bills yet :/. I guess even if it is pricey, I have to keep in mind that it's certainly cheaper than purchasing decent formula and hopefully the health benefits will result in savings in the long run. Not to mention the things you can't put a price tag on (successful breastfeeding!).

I'm going to try the saran wrap idea! I've been wracking my brain trying to think of something other than the cloth nursing pads to keep the wounds from rubbing or scabbing. Occasionally, they stick to the fabric and yeah, ouch. I have used the breast shells and found them helpful, too. The only problem was that they tended to put pressure in just the right spot that I leaked like a madwomen whenever I wore them, even if I stuck a nursing pad over the top to catch the extra milk. Of course, I did have crazy supply issues that have since calmed down, so maybe I wouldn't be a milky mess if I tried them out again.

On that note, I am curious... for those of you who had bad cracks/wounds, what did it look like when it finally did start healing? As weird as this sounds, I don't have any idea what a wound heals like when it doesn't scab over. I mean, it seems like things are getting better given that a) it hurts less and b) I see whitish tissue creeping in from the edges, which I'm taking to be new tissue. But I could be wrong. Hopefully it's not another layer of damaged skin!

When healing finally started for me, it looked as you describe. Pale tissue at the edges of the wounds, gradually filling in so that the cracks became more shallow and shorter as time went on.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    When healing finally started for me, it looked as you describe. Pale tissue at the edges of the wounds, gradually filling in so that the cracks became more shallow and shorter as time went on.
    Exactly the same for me.