Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleep patterns of the BF baby

Default sleep patterns of the BF baby

Just curious to what your babies sleep patterns are and how old they were/are when started. My son is 8wks old and wakes up every 3 hours at night to nurse. Its so weird if he goes even 30 minutes longer but i guess it will change as he gets older.
    ~Head over heels in love with my little boy~

Default Re: sleep patterns of the BF baby

Before I had kids, I thought sleep would progress in a linear fashion, i.e. they'd sleep 2 hours stretches, then 3 then 4 then wa-la! they'd sleep through the night. That did not happen at all with either of my two kids.

Both kids actually slept really long stretches as newborns and often we chose to wake them and feed them. Then as they got older (around 4 months) they started waking on their own A LOT more often. This "regression" lasted until 8 months-ish when we started employing some tactics to encourage them to sleep longer stretches.

DS was bottle fed (I EPd) and DD is breastfed but they had remarkably similar sleep habits.

My tiny one is also 8 weeks, so this should be an interesting comparison.

For her first 3 weeks she cluster-fed from 10pm-3am every single night. For the rest of the day she would eat and nap, and that was about it. From 4 weeks until about 5 weeks she would sleep between 2-3 hours at a time at night, but I would usually wake her to nurse at 2 hours since we hadn't had her first weigh in yet. She couldn't be put down to sleep for the first 5 weeks, so it was exhausting.

We finally came to our senses and started bed-sharing at 6 weeks and everything changed. She started out sleeping around 3-3.5 hour stretches, then would grunt and kick to nurse. After being nursed she'd fall back asleep no problem. Now at 8 weeks it's normal for her to do a 4 or 5 hour stretch, but I always wake up by 5 hours and initiate her nursing so I'm not engorged. She goes back to sleep and her second stretch of sleep is usually 2 hours. An hour later we wake up for the day.

I will say since I'm still on maternity leave, I nurse on cue and she naps as she pleases. I've done a bit of research and can attest to this since I've experienced it, but the day-napper baby sleeps well at night. She takes 10-15 minute cat-naps as she pleases, often right after nursing, and then wakes up refreshed and ready to play until the next go round! I truly believe when you drop your expectations for your baby (infant) and let them do what their little bodies want them to do you have a happier baby and a happier home.
    Last edited by @llli*littlecavemomma; January 21st, 2015 at 07:00 PM.

@llli*littlecavemomma i agree! I found that if i had no expectations of what baby "should" be doing per the "experts" then we all are happy! I figured if anyone knows what baby wants it baby. I just have to figure it out and lets just say that the usual answer is to nurse. I started co sleeping and that is when the three hour stretches started. During the day he naps usually after he eats everytime. Even if its just 20 minutes. If he doesnt nap he gets very upset then crashes later. Not a fun time for anyone but doesnt happen often! Now my son has gotten into a habit of being wide awake at 2 a.m. and cooing and smiling like he is ready to start the day! Luckily i can nurse him right back out then we usually start our day at 430-5. Of course he goes back to sleep between 5-6 but that is mommys time to get everything ready for the day.