Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blocked Milk Duct?

Default Re: Blocked Milk Duct?

No milk supply issues, but I had over production.

If you are concerned about how much you got when you pumped, don't be, except that it may mean the breast is still plugged, which you already know. When I had the ginormous plug in the early weeks with my last baby, I did not get a single drop of milk when I pumped, and trust me, there was a ton of milk in there. Baby was able to get some milk out when she nursed or I would have been in even worse shape. For many reasons, it is not accurate to judge milk production by pump output.

How many times a 24 hour day was baby nursing prior to getting the plug? Any different now? Has weight gain been ok? Aside from this plug, any breastfeeding issues?

The block just got unclogged and was such a relief! He nurses typically 10-12x a day and I let him use my right breast as a pacifier to encourage milk supply since its low, weight gain has been good so far. He was 8lb 10oz when born, then went down to 7lb 14oz and now he's about 12lb

The only issue really now is the too low milk supply at night.

OK great! also thanks for answering my question, I just wanted to be sure baby was nursing with good frequency both day and night. Not nursing for longish stretches is one of the things that can lead to plugs.

If your baby is gaining normally when exclusively breastfed, you do not have low milk supply! Milk supply is either enough or not enough over all, (well sometimes it is too much) but my point is one cannot have enough part of the day and not enough another part of the day. It is normal and typical for babies to nurse more frequently and for moms to feel "emptier" late in the day or early in the night.

Great you are encouraging baby to comfort nurse. Baby comfort nursing will help keep milk production in great shape and plugs at bay. Babies are compelled to nurse for food and comfort, by natures brilliant design.

Unless my math is off, and do please check, starting from lowest weight, which is what you want to do, your baby has gained about 4 pounds in about 6 weeks? This is well above the 'average' gain of about an ounce a day. I doubt there is anything low about your milk production.

I guess I think I'm low on milk is because the feeding at night before bed time can typically go to more than an hour to three (he's a very awake/alert baby) and that he gets frustrated that he's not getting any milk for awhile (at least I think because I don't hear him swallow or see that he's swallowing) and just when I think he should be full he's still hungry so at times I will try to feed him with EBM in a bottle.

Also because I'm trying to get a stock of BM before I go back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fyfy View Post
    I guess I think I'm low on milk is because the feeding at night before bed time can typically go to more than an hour to three (he's a very awake/alert baby) and that he gets frustrated that he's not getting any milk for awhile (at least I think because I don't hear him swallow or see that he's swallowing) and just when I think he should be full he's still hungry so at times I will try to feed him with EBM in a bottle.

Also because I'm trying to get a stock of BM before I go back to work.

Well all I can say is there is no way a baby who is gaining that well is not getting enough milk. If baby is getting enough milk from the breasts, there is nothing wrong with milk production. We are made to produce enough milk, not more than enough. Because babies nurse for many reasons, take in different amounts at a time, and because a mom's breast storage capacity varies mom to mom (and this has nothing to do with milk production,) a baby's nursing frequency is simply not an accurate way to measure milk production.

But a great way to possibly harm milk production and cause other breastfeeding issues (like plugs, as one example) is to give bottles when they are not needed. A baby who is gaining normally does not need to get supplemental feedings from a bottle if mom is there to nurse. So I would suggest stopping or cutting back on the extra feedings with bottles. This will also mean more of your pumped milk can be saved for when you go back to work.

When a mom is pumping prior to returning to work (so, pumping while baby is also nursing around the clock) she is most likely not going to get all that much when she pumps. Less than an ounce is normal in that circumstance. See kellymom article below for more on what is normal when pumping.

Once mom is back at work and pumping during separations, her per-session output may well increase. But even then it would be normal to pump no more than 2-4 ounces at a time. Yes some moms pump more, and a few much more, and those moms probably have overproduction and also a larger breast "storage capacity."

While there are certainly ways to maximize your pump output, how much a mom can pump at a time also depends on physiological realities she cannot change. So pump output is also an unreliable indicator of milk production.

I am also linking info about breast storage capacity for your information.

Pumping info: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/p...ping_decrease/

storage capacity: http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...-capacity.html

Thank you for your help I'm gonna try and see if I can stock up on milk for work. Just so difficult to find the time to pump since he's very attached to me haha

Assuming you will be pumping at work with the needed frequency, just remember you only need enough for the first day back, and then whatever emergency cushion you will feel comfortable with. Here is an article about estimating how much milk you will need to leave.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/