Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many oz should 4wk be eating per day?

Question How many oz should 4wk be eating per day?

I will be introducing a bottle of expressed breast milk next Friday to my 4 week old. How much should she be given in the bottle at a feeding? How much should she consume per feeding? And lastly, how much should she be consuming per day?
    I need to make sure I have expressed enough milk prior to next week so dad can help feed her!

Default Re: How many oz should 4wk be eating per day?

I think the answer depends on the purpose of the bottle. Will dad be feeding her via bottle while she is separated from you?, and if so, for what length of time? If it is more of an optional bottle, ie, if the purpose is to provide dad with a bonding opportunity, and if you are sure this is something that is right for your family, then I should think the amount could be very small indeed, such as an ounce. Either way, it should be provided in a paced manner if a bottle will be utilized. Are you familiar with this method? If not, I'm sure links can be added.

Default Re: How many oz should 4wk be eating per day?

Yes, Studies indicate there is a very wide range in normal daily intake resulting in normal health and gain when a baby is breastfed. There are some general rules of thumb to follow or at least use as a base camp, but it depends on if bottles used for regular separations (such as for work) or for occasional bottles (such as for a sitter,) or if baby is going to no longer be fed at the breast but instead bottle fed.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like dad needs to feed baby for a week due to you having a week long separation or maybe just frequent separations next week from baby?

In that case the general rule that will probably work is an ounce to an ounce and a half per hour of separation or about 24-36 ounces per the entire day.
    It is very important for a baby to be fed with bottles carefully, using paced bottle feeding. Bottles should start small, 2 or 3 ounces, with perhaps some single ounce bottles or bags for if baby just needs a little more. Also it is important that you pump or hand express as frequently as possible during the separations (or whenever baby gets a bottle, even if you are there) for continued normal milk production. Also expressed milk can be frozen and shipped using dry ice.

Paced feeding- description and purpose: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and video demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; January 12th, 2015 at 02:24 AM. Reason: edit for clarification in italics