Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am i overfeeding or not giving my baby enough food....

Red face Am i overfeeding or not giving my baby enough food....

hello all,

so my baby is 11 days today, and I'm scared I'm not giving her enough food, or overfeeding her, I'm breastfeeding/pumping milk + supplementing because seems like I can't get her to stop rooting and looking for food... and i run out of my milk

we don't have a schedule, but I'm not worried about that- that doesn't regulate until later on however, like today she nursed for two hours - both breasts - and she nurses through a shield because I can not feed her without because of latching issues, and she was still rooting and crying and looking for more food, i had some pumped so i gave her two ounces and she was still looking, another ounce still looking, and she started another ounce finished half of it and finally fell asleep.

there is milk coming when she breastfeeds because i checked and my breasts get soft....

so am i doing this wrong and overfeeding her or not giving her enough???

Default Re: Am i overfeeding or not giving my baby enough food....

Hello and congrats on your baby girl! Im by no means a professional and am needing advice often myself as a new mom but i do know that you cant over feed a baby at the breast.The supplementing is a whole other ball game that i have not played yet but im sure one of the amazing women on here will give you advice. Its hard but you will get the hang of it and not even realize it! My will root and fuss like he is hungry. Latching just to unlatch! But he will mainly do his at a specific time of day and more often then not its when he is fighting sleep in the evening. Hang in there and good luck.

Congratulations on your new baby!

How was weight gain prior to pumping/supplementing (when all nourishment was happening directly at the breast)? When did the pumping/supplementing start, and how many ounces are being give now during a 24 hour period this way? Of those, how many are expressed breastmilk, and how many, if any, are formula?

Weight gain is really the only sure way to know if little one is receiving enough. Fussiness, rooting, cuing again as soon as being put down-- all of that is entirely normal, and doesn't on it's own indicate that baby isn't getting enough at the breast. And the vast majority of women who nurse on cue, with a latch that is good, are able to produce exactly what their baby needs.

Can you provide some more info about weight gain history and supplementation? Have you seen any hands on, in person help, to assist with a comfortable latch?

okay here is more info...
    I had a c section and couldn't feed her my breast milk until day 5, we had to give her formula, but after that it's been breast milk, the thing is she sits at the breast for an hour to two hours and she's still fussy and hungry after that, so at that point if i have pumped milk I start offering from an ounce, sometimes she will just drink the ounce sometimes she will drink three, i give her formula when i run out of my milk to give, and that will be anywhere from ounce to three as well depending if i was able to give her breast..... she was born at 7 lbs 5 oz, and right now at day 12 she's at 7 lbs 12 oz,

In 24 she will get about 6-9 oz of supplemental milk, and most of it i try to have breast milk for her.

I have seen a lactation consultant and when we are at the office she is satisfied after 30 minutes or so.... and now she will stay at the breast anywhere from an hour to two...
    I understand she's growing and needs more, and we have snuggle time as well because a lot of times they say babies miss their moms...

In your shoes, I think that I would try to work on weaning from the shield. This link has tips on how to go about it: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/. Basically, you're just patiently offering the bare breast as often as you can, in lots of different situations- in the bath, at night in bed, etc.- and hoping that the baby takes it. The reason it would be good if you could take the shield out of your nursing equation is that shields can slow milk transfer, leading to long feedings which run into each other. And of course long feedings can make moms doubt their milk supplies, because they start wondering how a baby could still be hungry after feeding for hours uninterrupted.

Can you go back to the LC, or see a different LC, preferably one who is an IBCLC? I think you might really benefit from some hands-on help with positioning and latching, hopefully without the shield, and maybe some help with pumping as well if you are unable to get the additional milk you need for supplementing.

Couple more questions for you:
    - What sort of pump are you using?
    - How does pumping feel?
    - What led to the c-section and you being unable to nurse for 5 days? Were there additional complications, like high volume blood loss?

- What sort of pump are you using?
    im using the medela pump in style, right now about 20 minutes i can get about 3 oz out from both breasts

- How does pumping feel?
    pumping is annoying but im doing it so there is more milk... or so they say there will be more...

- What led to the c-section and you being unable to nurse for 5 days? Were there additional complications, like high volume blood loss?
    my placenta ruptured when they induced me and that led to an emergency c section, i lost a lot of blood, to the point where i got two units of blood at the hospital

i tried two different consultants however the issue lies with me, my nipples are too little and she can't latch on, they said it might take some time and some strength on her part if ever she will learn to just latch on without the shield...

... but you helped me- its sounds a little reassuring that the feeding with the shield might run one into another.... i mean i understand that it's not ideal... but nothing in this situation is... is there anything else you might think of that could help... see the weirdest to me was the fact that at the lactation office she fed for half an hour and she was done- she slept for three... i hold her the same way, she latches on the same way.... her mouth fully on there.. and yet she eats for three hours... and then shes still not satisfied...

You are making plenty of milk judging by your pumping output! That is more than enough! I second the advice of getting rid of the nipple shield as you can. I see this over and over again. Babies will take hours to nurse, have poor transfer, be so fussy after and as soon as the shield can be rid of they take minutes to nurse and are having great transfer. Even with other issues. It happened to my sister. It does take time to get off the shield but it is entirely possible.
    Don't give up! Also remember a lot of newborns always act fussy and hungry. They will pretty much root whenever. ALSO I would NOT supplement with a bottle. However hungry she acts. She needs a lot of sucking. Another thing that will help with being off the shield is more of that skin to skin time. It's very soothing and helps curb those sucking needs.

Also many women have flat or even inverted nipples and babies can still latch on. It just takes practice and patience. And the nipple shield can be helpful to begin, sometimes but keep trying. Look at the link that mommal posted. I promise you it's worth it! Don't give up and don't worry The first 6 weeks are the hardest! But then you'll be amazed at how easy it gets!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

im using the medela pump in style, right now about 20 minutes i can get about 3 oz out from both breasts
    That's normal output when pumping in place of a feeding. Pumping that much after nursing would be indicative of high supply.

pumping is annoying but im doing it so there is more milk... or so they say there will be more...
    Okay, as long as pumping is not hurting you it's probably okay. When it hurts, that may mean that the pump is turned up too high, or that the shields are a poor fit.

my placenta ruptured when they induced me and that led to an emergency c section, i lost a lot of blood, to the point where i got two units of blood at the hospital
    Yikes, how scary!!! Sometimes high volume blood loss can lead to a slow start to milk production. But your pumping amounts are normal, so it sounds like either this wasn't a problem for you or if it was, the problem has passed.

i tried two different consultants however the issue lies with me, my nipples are too little and she can't latch on, they said it might take some time and some strength on her part if ever she will learn to just latch on without the shield...
    Just keep working on it, mama!!! There are a lot of babies who take weeks or even months before they can nurse without the shield.

Was either LC an IBCLC? It's odd that they would suggest that little nipples are a problem- babies don't NIPPLEfeed, they breastfeed. So a baby is really not latching onto your nipple. She's latching onto the much larger, much rounder breast. The nipple is more like a bullseye that guides baby in to the target breast.

see the weirdest to me was the fact that at the lactation office she fed for half an hour and she was done- she slept for three... i hold her the same way, she latches on the same way.... her mouth fully on there.. and yet she eats for three hours... and then shes still not satisfied...
    Babies ALWAYS do that at the LC's office. It's like when you take your car in to the shop- it never makes the weird noise when the mechanic is sitting in it!