Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hope to switch to breastfeeding

Default Hope to switch to breastfeeding

My baby was born 3 weeks early by emergency C-section. He was having a lot of trouble latching on and with the sucking motion in general. I was working with a lactation consultant but she was very rough with the baby and the advice seemed more detrimental than helpful. His blood sugar became low after about 12 hours and the doctors and nurses suggested a supplemental bottle feeding. I agreed to that. He had some difficulty just eating from the bottle, but got that down after a couple days. I started pumping in the hospital. I have been pumping almost exclusively for 7 weeks. At first, I was trying to breastfeed, then bottle-feeding, pumping and then washing the parts every 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. My pediatrician and doula suggested trying even more frequently. It was taking abut an hour and forty five minutes for the whole process which left no time for sleep at all. I couldn't keep that up for more than a few days. At that point, I decided to only attempt breastfeeding once or twice a day and to make the cycles 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours again. He's breastfeeding successfully maybe once a week right now. I'm wondering what the likelyhood is that he will eventually adopt breastfeeding or if I'm pretty much stuck doing EP for the rest of his infancy. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to get him to nurse consistently? Thanks for your time and help.

P.S. I have had it suggested by some that I starve him until he chooses to breastfeed, which I am unwilling to do. If he was 2 or 3 years old and addicted to french fries/chocolate doughnuts and needed to learn to eat vegetables and whole grains, I would be on board, but I do not think that is appropriate for a newborn on the edge of being a preemie. Changing from EP to breastfeeding is only a matter of convenience for me and I don't think starvation is a good idea in this situation.

Default Re: Hope to switch to breastfeeding

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

Well, you are definitely shouldn't try to starve a newborn into submission. Awful, cruel, and maybe dangerous idea. Just keep offering in a low-pressure way, and offer as often as you can. Trying 1-2x per day is great, but you'll have a better shot at getting him to the breast if you can give him more opportunities. The tips in this link may be helpful: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/