Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Nipple Shield Weaning

Default Re: Tips for Nipple Shield Weaning

ok hang in there, you are doing great. I hope you get some answers about the tongue tie soon.

Update: We got her tongue tie snipped yesterday. The ENT described it as "not the worst I've ever seen, but definitely significant and worth doing." She sailed through the procedure. I can definitely say that I've observed the following:
    - Greater mobility of her tongue.
    - Flatter position of her tongue when she sticks it out of her mouth. Before it looked as though she was rolling or cupping it when she would make her hungry newborn faces.
    - A more open latch and more comfort in opening her jaw wider than she ever could before.
    - More room in her mouth for my nipple when I try and get her to latch without the shield, though she still refuses.
    Bearing in mind that I'm desperate for this to fix our problems and may be prone to confirmation bias and/or reading too much into things, I think I've observed the following:
    - Greater suction and a "drawing" sensation in my breast sometimes when she latches well.
    - Swallowing more often (sometimes every suck instead of every third suck) when milk is flowing quickly.
    - Getting multiple let-downs out of me in one session/side, which I don't think she was able to do or happened rarely before.

I may still take her to a chiropractor. Her latch was previously somewhat better on the right than on the left, and now the difference is much more marked. I can get her to a nice, open latch on the left with some help from my fingers, and I will keep working on that so that it feels normal to her, but she's much more resistant on the left and much more likely to start out with a wide open latch on the right. So I think her torticollis is still an issue, but I don't want to put her through too much too soon. And I may go the physical therapy or home treatment routes instead.

Her next weigh-in is on Monday. I'm really hoping I'll have good news to share then.

Sounds good so far! Keep working on the wide latch - nipple shields make it all too easy for the baby to grab just the shield and not more of the breast.

Thanks for the update, I hope the chiropractor brings you even more success!

Does your pediatrician have a LC on staff, or the hospital you delivered at have someone you can follow up with? I'm having the same issue! I was reading this and thought someone had drafted this from my situation. I know this has to get easier! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*brandih70 View Post
    Does your pediatrician have a LC on staff, or the hospital you delivered at have someone you can follow up with? I'm having the same issue! I was reading this and thought someone had drafted this from my situation. I know this has to get easier! Good luck!
    My pediatrician does not, and the hospital I delivered at wouldn't see me outpatient (and I didn't want to go back to them to begin with, because I felt that the LC there had misdiagnosed the cause of my daughter's poor latch... and I was right.) The peds office and the hospital both suggested the outpatient services at a different hospital that I ended up going to.

In other news, I'm starting to think my supply does have some issues after all. Now that my little girl can drink faster, she's getting impatient with the milk flow, fussing and yanking on my nipple. (I think she bruised me? Ow.) I've been taking fenugreek, and I've been doing all kinds of marathon nursing and pumping. Now at 5 weeks postpartum, am I screwed or will my supply likely pick up? How long does it take to see the effects of extra nursing and pumping on supply?

In other news, I'm starting to think my supply does have some issues after all. Now that my little girl can drink faster, she's getting impatient with the milk flow, fussing and yanking on my nipple. (I think she bruised me? Ow.) I've been taking fenugreek, and I've been doing all kinds of marathon nursing and pumping. Now at 5 weeks postpartum, am I screwed or will my supply likely pick up? How long does it take to see the effects of extra nursing and pumping on supply?
    Aside from the behavior at the breast, what other evidence do you have that your milk flow is slow or there is not enough milk? What you are describing behavior-wise could also be that the flow is too fast, or perhaps needing to find a different nursing position. It is not all that uncommon for a baby to pull/yank while nursing at the breast and is not always an indicator of slow flow or low milk production. Also if you are using a shield still, that slows milk flow, so getting off the shield may help.

If you really do not make enough milk at this point, You are not screwed. Milk production can usually be increased at any point, it just becomes more difficult (but still possible) after the first 4-6 weeks to do so. And this is all generalities, not an exact science. As far as how long it would take, that is not knowable, but of course depends in part on what kind of shortfall we are talking.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; January 17th, 2015 at 07:50 PM.

I really don't think it's from the milk being too fast. Mostly it's because she still doesn't get thoroughly sated from a feeding and feedings still take a long time with her getting sleepy along the way. She still has some ground to make up, but for example, I just fed her from very full breasts after a several hour nap, gave up after a good length of time on both breasts because she was very sleepy and lazy, and went to make dinner. Less than half an hour later and I'm rushing dinner and she's screaming and desperately cueing.

I know that it's normal for a newborn to want to nurse a lot but it seems pretty extreme, and it's hard to just trust the process when nothing has worked out how it should so far. Trusting the process got me a baby who's dropping weight percentiles and until I can be certain she's getting enough to eat, I'll continue to be a wreck.

So, she didn't rock her weigh-in. She was up five ounces in ten days, all of which I think was gained in the six days since her tongue tie revision. The doctor is happy with it and if we can build on that, she will ultimately be all right. But I'll admit that I was really hoping for more and was kind of crushed. I ended up calling the local leader line just to sob and ask for a pep talk and that helped.

The chiropractor visit today went well. No miracles, but she tolerated the adjustment just fine and it seemed easier to adjust her latch afterwards. Also, when I was trying to latch without the shield, she opened for me better and fought me less. We go back on Thursday for another adjustment. The chiropractor said that since infants heal so quickly, you can do the adjustments closer together and see results quickly.

Sorry you are discouraged, but if baby's doctor is happy, this is good. Of course it could be better, but it sounds like things are going in the right general direction?

Things are going in the right direction As for wanting to nurse frequently, this is the best way for your supply to increase so it's worth trying to go with the flow for a while with it!

It's so easy to get discouraged but you really are making progress