Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden pain and fussing at 5/6 weeks

Default Sudden pain and fussing at 5/6 weeks

My daughter is almost 6.5 weeks old and for the last week I've been experiencing considerable pain after a week or so of perfect nursing.

For the first few weeks my daughter struggled to latch. We were referred for tongue tie but I was advised that it wasn't significant enough to affect feeding and I agreed as I could see the reach of the tongue changing as she grew. I sought support and was shown how to use my breast hold to help her take more breast into her mouth and then again I was given more positioning advice which seemed to work well. I was also told that as dd was so gassy a pacifier would help to settle her. We use this when we are trying to settle her for bed and then once we've tried everything else we can think of to try and soothe her fussing.

I have Raynaud's which hadn't been helping but the week of pain-free nursing was brilliant. Then all of a sudden I started to experience a lot of pain, to the point that I couldn't continue nursing and went back to expressing. (Something I'd done early on when the pain was too much too but I didn't continue as dd wasn't overly keen on bottle compared to breast.

The pain I'm experiencing now is an acute burning type pain, like dd is clamping down with her gums and my nipple often ends up like a slanted lipstick or pointy with a crease in the middle. The pain isn't constant but it's enough to affect the duration of the feed. It happens on both sides although my right breast is affected more. The mis-shaling is also inconsistent.

Dd is also much fussier at the breast now bringing her hands to her face and part way through a feed tugging and moving around.

The Raynaud's symptoms seem to be worse but I don't know if the decreased temperature (weather) or nipple damage is to blame.

I try to reposition dd every time it starts to hurt but oftentimes I really can't see anything wrong and in fact some of the better looking positions cause the most pain.

Dd feeds 8-10 times in a 24 hour period, has lots of wet nappies and a recently slightly increased number of poopy nappies.

My left breast produces a lot of milk and causes dd to splutter and gulp. My left breast is far more sedate.

I'm trying to eliminate possible causes of the pain and would really appreciate some help in identifying what I should do next. I just don't understand why everything was so good and then so bad so quickly.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by @llli*elkie1278; December 30th, 2014 at 07:12 PM.

Default Re: Sudden pain and fussing at 5/6 weeks

To me it sounds like the tongue tie is causing more issues than they first thought it would. Lipstick nipples, gassy baby all point to something in the latch not being right.

Are you finding different positions affect pain/lack of pain? Laid back breastfeeding is often recommended with latch issues.

Raynauds will be worsened by any nipple trauma - for example those lipstick nipples! Try and keep as warm as you can. You can always use wheat bags, hot water bottles or those little hand warmers to try and keep your nipples warm/reheat them after feeding. And obviously try to keep the rest of you warm too!

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering about that but I did have one pain free, no misshaping week and I don't know how things could have changed both ways so quickly. Every now and again it'll be brilliant again but it doesn't last.

My best guess is as your supply regulates she's having to work a bit harder at getting the milk and so while it was ok it now isn't. Equally every time a baby latches it will be slightly different. So you may find you can get her 'just so' and it doesn't hurt, but not only does it have to look like a good latch from the outside she's got to be able to be right inside if you get what I mean.

Babies grow so fast their latch is constantly changing due to that too.

You can try some techniques to deepen latch such as breast compressions, breast sandwich and the flipple, (best to you tube these) and some hands on latch advice if you can get it preferably from an IBCLC can help too.

Pacifiers and bottles can negatively affect latch also so unless these are essential (you are separated from baby or the pain is too much) it's worth avoiding them for the time being.

Thank you. Guess I just feel a bit demoralised by the one step forward, two steps back thing. Hopefully I can get to see an IBCLC in the next week to try and make some more progress. :-)

You'll get there You are managing to feed and baby is gaining weight, so it could be a lot worse. Breastfeeding can be really hard but it's worth it in the end!