Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 month old breastfeeding tips PLEASE!

Default 1 month old breastfeeding tips PLEASE!

I have am almost 6 week old daughter, she is usually a happy baby, I am a first time mother and I am having a few issues with her latching on......! As I bring her to the breast she uses her little strong arms to push away from the breast ad I have to hold her arms under my breast until she gets a good latch, after she does get the latch I let her arms go. She also wont open her mouth wide to latch on, she gets a good latch nonetheless but it is hard to get her to latch because she twists her head from side to side, I have to grab the back of her head to get it to semi-stop twisting then I feel I have to almost shove my nipple into her mouth before she starts to twist again.
    Basically my question is how do I help her get a good latch without feeling like she is trying to fight my breast by pushing away, not opening her mouth wide, and twisting her head from side to side?
    She also makes noises while BF, sounds like a sucking noise. I have given her bottles so her daddy can feed her as well they are the 5 oz Nuk bottles which in my opinion resemble my breast best but she has been making the noises since she was about 2 weeks old.
    Last edited by @llli*nansb; December 30th, 2014 at 06:18 AM.

Default Re: 1 month old breastfeeding tips PLEASE!

How many times are you feeding her a day? Are you sure she's hungry?

Also, do you have access to a lactation consultant? There's no substitute to having someone actually watch the latch/feed to provide advice.

Also, 6 weeks old is considered peak fussy time. It's possible she's just being a little fussy and will outgrow it pretty quickly.

Is nursing comfortable for you, and is baby gaining weight normally? Please let us know if nursing hurts you or baby is not gaining well.

I would suggest trying different nursing positions. laid back helps a lot with what you are describing, as might sidelying. But there is no 'wrong' way to nurse. play around with it.

babies usually nurse much better if they can nurse as soon as they want to. Also it is fine to offer to nurse.

Bottles feedings interfere with breastfeeding for a number of reasons. So does pumping. So unnecessary bottles and pumping are best avoided. I would strongly suggest stop bottles or use them only infrequently. Also no matter what the bottle nipple looks like, the mechanics of breastfeeding cannot possibly be replicated by ANY artificial nipple.

If bottles must be given, make sure husband only puts a small amount of your milk in the bottle at a time (no more than 1 or 2 ounces) and gives the bottle using paced bottle feeding technique as described here. This may help avoid issues, however, again, there is always a risk of issues when a breastfed baby is bottle fed.

Laid back breastfeeding http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

Many ideas for how dad can help and bond with baby without dad feeding baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...t_partners.pdf

Other positioning ideas http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html

more on laid back http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...-breastfeeding

Paced bottle feeding http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

I feed her on demand, whenever she starts rooting around and sucking on her hand I offer the breast, I even put a bit of expressed milk on my nipple to maybe entice her to latch. I dont necessarily count the times just when she gives me signs. I only have the ladies at the WIC office in my area for lactation consultants. Thank you for the URL links for ways for dad to bond with her. When I am lying down on my side she doesnt fight as much but she still wont open her mouth wide. I tickle her lips and nose with my nipple as well as brush her cheek, I have even tried to brush against her chin to get her to open.......her Dr wants her to gain more weight. She was born 6.6 and at 1 month checkup she was 7.4, two weeks ago I got mastitis in my right breast and had to start supplementing. Dr also says I need to feed more.......

OK well if weight gain is an issue then there is a bigger issue going on. Does your WIC office have an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) on staff and have you had a private appointment with her? or do they know how you can get seen by one? you can also try contacting your local LLL or breastfeeding usa chapter, other health org, breastfeeding coalition? What about your doctor or hospital?

Dr wants her to gain more weight. She was born 6.6 and at 1 month checkup she was 7.4, ....Dr also says I need to feed more...
    Do you mean doctor wants baby nursed more often, or is telling you to supplement?

That weight gain might be slow, but it depends on what babies lowest known weight was and when that check was done. Most babies lose some weight in the first few days and then start gaining. Do you know when your baby was back to birthweight? Has baby been weighed again since the one month checkup?

two weeks ago I got mastitis in my right breast and had to start supplementing
    Supplementing is NOT typically required when a mother has mastitis. It would help to know more about this. Is baby still being supplemented? Is it with your own expressed milk or formula? Are you pumping as well? How often and what kind of pump are you using?

Ways to increase milk into baby: (aside from supplementing)
    1) Nurse more often- newborn infants typically need to nurse 10-12 times in 24 hours, minimum. How often is your baby nursing?
    2) No need to wait until baby cues. It is fine to offer to nurse.
    3)Avoid pacifiers or use only sparingly
    4) If the issue is low milk production, try to increase milk production by increasing number of nursing sessions and/or pumping as well as nursing (not pumping instead of)
    5) See an IBCLC to help you figure out if the issue is latch related (baby cannot transfer enough milk when baby nurses) or milk production related.

Please look at the laid back links. This is different than sidelying. Remember you can adjust this positioning however you like. This position promotes baby being able to self-latch better, although of course you can help baby as much as is needed.

Many more ideas on assisting a baby to latch better: http://feedthebabyllc.com/latch-and-positioning/