Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: in need of some encouragement...

Unhappy in need of some encouragement...

Hi ladies,
    I've been reading the boards for some time, but this is my first post. Let me give you the run down...My DD is almost 6 months, and so far EBF. I've been back at work since she was 6 weeks, and pumping like a maniac. About a month ago we moved and my supply had a sharp decrease in a 4 day period (I think it was due to exhaustion and stress from the move). We made it through without supplementing and I dutifully followed all the suggestions I read here...I'm BF ALL the time when I'm with DD, I added pumping sessions (During the week I pump every 2-3 hours to amp up my supply and BF 4-6 sessions) and BF on demand on the weekend with pumping sessions in the AM and every 3 hours through the night. I'm eating oatmeal, trying to relax and rest, tried breast compressions, hot shower..etc. The good news is, i'm producing enough to get by, but barely. And i'm exhausted. DD sleeps 10 hours over night, and i'm still having to get up to pump every 2-3 hours. I tried co-sleeping and just feeding her all night long, which i think would be easier than pumping, but then DF and I get no sleep, as DD is very vocal (alseep, but noisy ) and i'm just not that comfortable with her in the bed with us. I really want to stick it out for the year, but I'M SO TIRED OF PUMPING!!! I've tried going 4 hours between pumping at night, just so i can get an actual rem cycle, but then i don't have enough BM to send with her the next day to grandma's.... I'm not suer if this is a pumping or supply issue...wasn't exactly sure where to post. Sorry!! Any suggestions or words of encouragement would be really appreciated. Sorry so long, and thanks in advance

Oh yeah, i use a Medela PIS...just want to give any pertinent info!!
    Last edited by Eden's Mom; December 2nd, 2006 at 08:59 AM.

Default Re: in need of some encouragement...

Hi there and welcome to the boards!

You certainly sound like you have a lot on your plate at this point and have been doing a TREMENDOUS job of providing milk for your dd! You deserve a lot of credit. Many working moms do find a drop in supply to occur at the half-year mark.

I think before I go further with suggestions it would help me to know what your goals are at this point?

Are you trying to avoid formula supplements at all costs? Are you trying to BF for at least a year but don't mind some supplement?

Also, a few more questions:

Is the pump new or used?
    Is dd taking any solids?
    How much does she seem to need during the day? How much are you pumping?
    If you were to just pump while at work during the day how much would you get?

I will leave you with this for now!

Thanks for the response...
    My goal is to avoid formula if at all humanly possible...so far, so good. She does get rice cereal occasionally, just for fun. We're about to start solids, after I talk to the ped at her 6mo appt this week

DD takes anywhere from 17-22 oz while I'm at work. I bf her once before work (then I pump a little while later) and I BF her 2-4 times before she goes down for the night (every 45 mins-hour or so). When I pump all day at work (every 2 hours give or take 30 mins) i get about 10 oz (sometimes up to 12, but i can count on 10). I get about 2-3 oz from my am pumping, and anywhere from 4 to 6oz on my multiple over night pumping sessions (collectively).

So basically I'm making *just* enough for day to day. I'm just so stressed out that i won't make enough and i'll have to supplement. I'm trying to get a little freezer stash so i have a little cushion by pumping on the weekends more but it seems i'm just a little short every weekday, so whatever i froze over the weekend gets used the next week. Is it normal to want to throw the pump out the window?? (it is a new PIS by the way)

Any new ideas would really be great...

Talking Re: in need of some encouragement...

Good news! the last week has been a definite upswing. I started what DF calls "cluster pumping" when i'm with DD i bf on cue, and pump for at least 5 minutes immediatly afterwards, then twice more within the hour. I do this all evening, and i started only getting up once at night to pump. It started slow-only producing .5- 1 oz for the whole evening, but now i'm getting about 5, and my middle of the night pump is becoming VERY productive 7-8 oz. It's getting better and i'm getting SLEEP!! i had totally forgotten what that was like. I think my getting rest is helping my supply too. I'm actaully starting a decent freezer stash!!

Congratulations!!! It's nice when things go back to normal. Hopefully things work out great and keep up the good job mama