Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Zoloft while Breastfeeding???

Default Zoloft while Breastfeeding???

Can anyone out there check Hale's book to see if it is safe for me to take Zoloft while breastfeeding my dd? I had posted previously about taking Celexa and due to the feedback I received from everyone, I chose not to take it because of the possible side effects to my dd. I took everyone's advice and spoke with my doctor who agreed that Celexa wasn't the safest thing that I could take and she then prescribed the Zoloft.

Well, when I went to fill my prescription, I mentioned what had happened to my pharmacist and she told me that Zoloft was not safe to take while breastfeeding either. I am getting REALLY frustrated. I feel like I'm in a constant battle between my doctor and my pharmacist and I just need an educated reason why I should or shouldn't take the Zoloft now. I NEED to take something for my anxiety and depression...I don't want to have to stop breastfeeding my dd to fix this but if that's the only solution for me to feel better then I guess that's what I'll have to do. I'm just feeling really desperate right now.

Anyway, thanks for reading and for any feedback you're able to provide.

Amber

Default Re: Zoloft while Breastfeeding???

Oh, Amber, how frustrating! You need support, not a tug-of-war between your Dr. and pharmacist. Maybe you could take this info to your pharmacist? Or have your doctor call the pharmacist?
    Hale's book lists Zoloft as L2. Here's a link to Kellymom which gives a brief run-down of Hale's notes on different anti-depressant drugs.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...hale10-02.html
    This page is notes taken from a keynote address by Thomas Hale at the
    LLL of Illinois Area Conference in 2002.
    Here's a quote from the site,
    "Drug Hierarchy
    When choosing a medication SSRIs are generally the preferred choice for a breastfeeding mother. Side effects from SSRIs are most common in the first 3 months postpartum; so with an older baby, there is little concern. Hale's "choice hierarchy" is as follows:

* Zoloft
    * Paxil
    * Celexa
    * Effexor
    * Prozac

Concluding remarks
    Finally, Dr. Hale concluded his talk by saying that breastfeeding should be supported fully and not interrupted by mom's needs for medication; and that treatment of postpartum depression can be accomplished relatively safely in breastfeeding mothers. So, in his consideration, moms should continue breastfeeding and should get drug treatment as needed for depression."

Mary

Mary,

Thank you so much for your reply, you have no idea how much I appreciate how quickly you replied! It sounds like the Zoloft is probably the safest drug to be taking. But, from what you said, I'm wondering if maybe I should wait until my dd is three months old??? She's 10 weeks right now and won't be three months until 3/20. She's got an appointment with the pediatrician tomorrow so I think I will ask her opinion as well. I would really like to start taking the medication today but I want to be certain that I'm not going to harm her. It's just coming down to what's best for her...to keep breastfeeding with a mommy who is depressed and anxious all of the time or to breastfeed, get a tiny amount of the anti-depressant but have a mommy who is a much happier person. I just want to make sure that whatever amount of the medicine tranfers to my milk won't have any major effect on her.

Anyway, thank you so much for the information you've provided, I really appreciate it.

Amber

You're welcome!

That's a great idea to get your pediatrician's thoughts as well. It's convenient you have an appointment tomorrow!

Mary

I think this is a tough decision for any mother to make and would encourage you to seek the advice of your pediatrician and also your gynecologist or which ever doctor is treating you with the zoloft. I took Zoloft throughout my preagancy and still have it while I'm nursing my daughter. I stressed about it over and over but ultimately had to consider how the negative impact on me not taking it would affect my daughter... it's hard though because they can't really do controlled studies where they give nursing mothers drugs and see what happens. Good luck with what ever you decide!

There is an awesome book on the LLL's website called Medications and Mother's milk. It references all current research, and how medications enter the bloodstream and milk. It is written by a Phd and is worth it's weight in gold. I think it's also available in Barnes and Noble. Good Luck!

I too take Zoloft. I talked with the pharmacist about when the drug level peaks, highest in your blood stream, for me it works better to take it in the evening because my son nurses more during the day than at night.

I too had to take zoloft. But for me I only needed it for a week and a half. I also took ativan at night. And it really helped. Sometimes these doctors and pharmacists need to think about how the mother is feeling and how it will effect the care you give your baby. If you can't take care of yourself, how does anyone expect you to care for your children. They should be happy that you are reaching out for help. Anyhow, hang in there. I know it can be a scary thing, but you will get through it.

I am taking Paxil and started it when DD was about two months. I think the benefits of me feeling happier and healthier outweigh any negatives in my case. I started with the lowest dose to see if it would be effective, because I figured I could always go up from there. Good luck to you.

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I take Zoloft, and DD has no problems. He was having excessive fatigue when I took Lexapro, which is why I switched. He appears to be totally unaffected, and I've been on it for about 2 or 3 months.

Hale's message boards always seem to recommend Zoloft over everything else.