Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention co-sleeping mama's-

Default Attention co-sleeping mama's-

Hi there, my baby (2 months old, 13 lbs.) has been sleeping in bed with me for a few weeks now, and I have a some questions:

1- How do you get your baby to go to sleep and how DO they sleep (position-wise)? My baby usually nurses to sleep, but frequently falls asleep, pulls off the breast or I take her off, and then she starts rooting around for the breast again just to have it in her mouth or barely suck. She also can't seem to get comfortable since she moves her head around so much and wakes. This usually goes on for hours.

2- Is it normal that she doesn't wake to nurse after she finally DOES go to sleep? She'll halfway wake up and I try to put her on the breast and she falls right back to sleep.

3- In the morning, because she doesn't nurse that much at night, my breasts are very full, almost painful. They stay fairly full all day, as she only nurses from one breast usually, and not for as long as at night when I am trying to get her to sleep. How do I manage this?

4- What time is a usual bedtime for an infant this age? She usually isn't asleep (after all of the above questions) until midnight, and usually wakes up at 8:30. We are in bed by 10-11.

5- What do you do about naps? Do you lay with the baby every nap? I always either lay with her or hold her while she naps.

I feel like my baby isn't getting that much sleep, and I want to help her out!
    Last edited by @llli*cupcakemama; December 22nd, 2014 at 07:09 PM.

Default Re: Attention co-sleeping mama's-

It took us a long time to really get the hang of nursing in bed. Early on (though we were co sleeping since DS won't stay asleep long unless in contact with myself or daddy) I would still get out of bed every 3-4 hours to nurse because we were having weight gain issues. So if you are finding yourself uncomfortable it might work better to nurse her to sleep sitting up and then move to the bed once she is sleeping and having an alarm to wake you up to nurse perhaps half way between the normal bed time and normal wake up time. Keep trying nursing in bed every so often to see if it works better as she grows but don't do yourself in if it isn't working very well.
    I also often hold my son for his naps or I wear him in a carrier or sling. I keep a ring sling handy so that if he falls to sleep while we are in the chair, I can put it around us without waking him and then use the rest room or get up and deal with other things or even use the computer while he sleeps on my shoulder in it (like we are doing right now.) For being able to nurse while up and around I find the Ergo carrier works better for me (and is easier to switch sides while nursing like we normally do) and is definitely easier for me for longer stints of baby wearing now that DS is over 19 lb (he just turned 9 months.) The Ergo is just not good for putting on while baby is already sleeping or getting into bed with an already sleeping baby unless you manage to do with with a baby in the floppy baby deep sleep stage.

Bed times, I've basically let my son kinda fall to sleep when he wants and I go to bed once he is asleep, he generally nurses to sleep sometime between 7-9pm unless he took a LATE nap and wakes up around 6 or 7 most of the time. He used to take 3 naps a day but now sometimes it is only two. They range in length sometimes only 20 minutes and up to a couple hours with 45 minutes being kinda normal.
    My son does nurse in bed now days (he really doesn't need to wake up to do that either.) More often if he wakes up fully at night it is because he needs to pee and he sometimes wakes up in the night wanting to play instead of going back to sleep, daddy usually takes him to listen to music for a while in those cases.

1- How do you get your baby to go to sleep and how DO they sleep (position-wise)? My baby usually nurses to sleep, but frequently falls asleep, pulls off the breast or I take her off, and then she starts rooting around for the breast again just to have it in her mouth or barely suck. She also can't seem to get comfortable since she moves her head around so much and wakes. This usually goes on for hours.
    At two months, (and much later) all of mine nursed to sleep, although my oldest went through a period of NOT nursing to sleep and needing to 'fuss' to sleep instead. They fell asleep either lying beside me or on top of me. If I had nursed baby and was just 'done' I would ask my husband to take baby and he would walk baby down, maybe in a sling, and this worked pretty often although they usually woke and needed to nurse again at some point. If I did not want to lie there trying to get baby to sleep, I would get up and do something else while nursing baby.

2- Is it normal that she doesn't wake to nurse after she finally DOES go to sleep? She'll halfway wake up and I try to put her on the breast and she falls right back to sleep.
    All mine did this somewhat. Unless baby is not gaining well it is probably fine.

3- In the morning, because she doesn't nurse that much at night, my breasts are very full, almost painful. They stay fairly full all day, as she only nurses from one breast usually, and not for as long as at night when I am trying to get her to sleep. How do I manage this?
    I would wake my baby up overnight if I was getting full. If they would not nurse and I was uncomfortable, I would get up and hand express a little.

4- What time is a usual bedtime for an infant this age? She usually isn't asleep (after all of the above questions) until midnight, and usually wakes up at 8:30. We are in bed by 10-11.
    Bedtimes are more for 2 year olds, not 2 month olds. IMO. I never even though about bedtimes at this age.

5- What do you do about naps? Do you lay with the baby every nap? I always either lay with her or hold her while she naps.
    Whenever I had the luxury to lay down with baby to nap, I did. So I napped pretty much every day with my oldest and it was heaven. If I am laying down with my baby and do not want to sleep, I read.

I feel like my baby isn't getting that much sleep, and I want to help her out!
    A healthy two month old is probably going to sleep as much as they need unless they are being tortured into wakefulness. What signs do you see that she does not sleep enough?

My daughter tends to sleep on her side or her back with her head at breast level, I tend to sleep in a c shape around her. Until recently, since getting to 12 months she's a lot more wriggly/floppy and ends up in all kinds of positions!

We do feed laying down but there are times in the night where I'll pick her up to feed in a cradle position, it all depends on who alert/restless she is.

I don't remember what time her bedtime was at 2 months but she's ranged from 8pm to 10:30pm with the lower end being when she was younger mainly. Currently she's later because she tends to nap late. I try and follow her cues so I know she's rested even if she doesn't sleep the societal norm of 7-7 tho since having a baby I'm not sure where that impression comes from as I don't know by mums whose little ones actually do that!

Every child is different and they change their habits so often in the first year!

My DD has never slept the recommended and she seems ok! Remember they are ranges so babies will sleep more/less than what they say!

FYI, my son slept on his side mostly while he was really young. (or would fall to sleep belly down on daddies or my chest.) Now that he rolls and moves he will sometimes turn onto his back and not wake up or will turn over onto his belly and go back to sleep.
    I know they always say babies have to be on their backs to sleep but mine would NOT stay asleep when put down on his back so we just had to be very conscious of his airway.

This is al pretty relevant to my interests, ladies. I'm going to hang around this thread and read what other mama's have done. LO is going on 3 months and is having a hard time napping. love this forum, so. much.

Same! My baby usually sleeps on her side curled up next to me. She startles herself alot when she's on her back. Sometimes when she's really really tired she will sleep on her back on the bed, or more often, on my chest or her dads. I do try to be very cautious of her airway.

I'm glad I was able to post something that another mama could relate to.

You're right.. I just need to go with the flow and follow my baby's cues. I guess I read too much of what is expected, etc. Every baby is different.

Thank you. I do enjoy laying down with baby for naps, but sometimes I just need to get stuff done! I have a Bjorn carrier and I am not too fond of it at this age. I want to invest in a good sling so that she can rest and I can take care of the house. And about the bedtimes- that is good to hear. I don't necessarily see signs that she doesn't sleep enough... I just didn't think she slept the amount of hours the internet and books said she should sleep. Like I mentioned in another reply, I just need to follow my baby's cues and not worry as much about whats 'normal' etc.