Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Front Teeth and Latch

Default Front Teeth and Latch

My little one is getting front teeth. It seems I read somewhere here that some babies have to readjust their latch after getting their front teeth or while getting their front teeth. My baby's not having huge issues with this yet, but do you have any word of wisdom to help in case things go awry with the latch in the near future?

Default Re: Front Teeth and Latch

Don't worry about it. Teeth is another one of those things that everyone thinks is a big breastfeeding issue and almost never actually is. If the teeth are going to cause any issues, you will know, trust me.

Best way to help a baby 'adjust' latch is to give baby plenty of room to latch comfortably. Latch issues can occur in older kids (teeth or not) because they are no longer short enough to comfortably nurse in a cradled position that can cause a tucked chin and c body shape if baby is too big for it or held in a way where they are too 'curled.'

Default Re: Front Teeth and Latch

I found that whenever my son got a new tooth, my nipples felt sore for a few days. Nothing too bad, though.
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/