Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hugs please-Tapering off domperidone at 3.25

Default Re: Hugs please-Tapering off domperidone at 3.25

As special as nursing is to you, I can promise you it is just as special to your toddler, and I promise it will not end even if (not saying this will happen to you) your milk were to dry up. I have been nursing my son for 4 years, and am currently nursing a 38 day old girl. The first time I nursed my son after giving birth to my daughter, I saw the biggest look of surprise in his eyes. He made a very curious and confused face when he tasted the milk. It was very obvious that this milk thing was "new" to him. Here I was, all this time, thinking that I was still making milk for my 4 year old, when it was clear that I wasn't. I knew I wasn't making tons, but I thought he must be getting at least half an ounce. Since I had stopped pumping at 1.5 years of age, how was I supposed to know when I stopped producing? His nursing pattern was no different, and he still took enjoyment from it every nursing session. Who knows for how long I did not produce milk? The 9 months of pregnancy? 1 year? 2 years? Who knows... and who cares? There is so much more to nursing than just milk. All I know is that nursing has been the greatest joy for me and for him, when I had milk in abundance and when I had no milk. I know this will be the case for you too.
    Last edited by @llli*greatestjoy; December 18th, 2014 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alphawoman View Post
    Mommal, you are a total doll. I think you will turn out to be right and, in the unlikely event that you aren't, I have no plan to hold you to your crow-eating promise (though, if you have a penchant for unusual game-bird-eating, who am I to stop you? )
    I have to be right. Crows aren't kosher.

Quote Originally Posted by greatestjoy
    All I know is that nursing has been the greatest joy for me and for him, when I had milk in abundance and when I had no milk. I know this will be the case for you too.
    What a beautiful thing to say!

After reading your thoughtful post--and others' (thank you to everyone who replied!)--and giving myself some time to process the points you've made, I'm starting to feel at peace with my decision. I've taken some time to sit quietly and reflect on what nursing means to DS and me, and I'm realizing that, although milk is a big part of the equation, the largest value DS and I derive from nursing is bonding and closeness. That's great, because we can maintain that irrespective of milk supply, as you've all been saying!

I still haven't let go of the fear of DS going hungry after his not eating solids for more than 2 years. I've begun to accept and feel confident in the fact that DS is now eating reliably enough to make a greater shift to other whole foods nutrition, and the slow taper I have planned (3 months) will enable him to make any dietary adjustments gently.

One thing I've realized, though, is that a piece of that fear will probably persist for a time, and I will have to be very mindful not to let it manifest as a zeal to over-feed DS in compensation. Nursing so far has been, in addition to a wonderful shared experience with DS, a psychological crutch for me because it has acted as a guarantee that DS would always receive adequate nutrition, even in the face of food refusal. Knowing that DS will feel emotionally fulfilled being able to continue to nurse even with less milk, the certainty of good nutrition is probably my biggest psychological hurdle. It's one I know I can overcome by consciously shifting my view of nourishing DS from fighting to maintain supply to cooking together.

Ladies, I'm so grateful to you for listening and sharing your wisdom. This has been a great opportunity for me to confront my inner demons and strengthen myself for the next phase of this nursing and parenting journey. I feel so proud of DS' and my 38 months of nursing (effectively, like a newborn), and I'm excited to hand the reins over to my body drug-free.

The plan: I finish grad school (again, yay!!) on January 16, after two weeks of half-day sessions. DS will be in the care of a sitter for the first time in his life for those mornings, and I plan to begin my domperidone taper after the program wraps up so as not to create a secondary disruption to DS. Then, starting Monday, January 19, I will drop my daily dose of 120mg/day by 10mg each week. DS will be 3.25 when I start the taper, and I will be domperidone-free as of April 6 by this plan, when he will be nearly 3.5. Updates to come.
    Last edited by @llli*alphawoman; December 27th, 2014 at 01:01 PM.
    Nursing my 3.5-year-old lactivore night and day!

I tapered off 120mg of domperidone per day while maintaining supply at 3.25 years! Questions are welcome.

Week 1 of Dom taper

After a session with my doctor and IBCLC last week, I'm beginning my taper off domperidone this week. Yesterday was my first day of 110mg/day (40mg/40mg/30mg) and I am pleased to report there has been no noticeable impact on supply. I will be maintaining this dose and observing supply for a week. If there is no sharp drop, I will taper to 40mg/30mg/30mg next Monday.

My lactation consultant suspects I will be able to get down to 40-60mg from a starting dose of 120mg without issue solely based on my son's high frequency nursing (now, 8-10x/24 hours), so I am hopeful that the first half to two thirds of this process will be painless. I experience a few days of low supply every roughly 2 weeks when I experience a surge of estrogen and LH as my body tries to ovulate, only to have it rebound as my hormones stabilize. My lactation consultant advised me to wait through those stretches of lower supply before adjusting my dose.

Feeling excited and empowered. When I went to bed last night, I did a meditation on my body's ability to take over lactation from Dom.

I tapered off 120mg of domperidone per day while maintaining supply at 3.25 years! Questions are welcome.

Congrats! I thought about you the other day, glad things are going well! Thanks for keeping us updated.

While my son is still nursing once daily, he is getting increasingly annoyed by this weird "milk" stuff that is coming out of my breasts, lol. When my daughter was first born, he was nursing about 5 times a day. I do get the feeling that we are getting near the end, it's bittersweet that my little boy is growing up.

It's so funny that you are worried about your son weaning due to not enough milk, and here my 4 year old is weaning due to there being any milk at all! Now he replaces his nursing sessions with suckling at the non-nipple part of my breasts for a few seconds, "pumping" his own little body with a little yellow cup (like my yellow medela pump), and trying to "race" DD to the breast when he sees me lifting up my shirt (although he always lets her win).

Keep us posted.
    DS born 2/11: EBF for 11 months, BF for 4 years
    DD born 11/14: came to the hospital crowning, had her the old fashioned way, EBF for almost 3 months and counting
    Looking to adopt a toddler internationally in the next year or so...

Aww, greatestjoy, your little man sounds awesome! It's hilarious that we're at opposite ends of the spectrum; great for a dose of perspective. (Just being able to see the humor in that would have been impossible a month ago.)

DS decided the other day that he wanted to make a machine to help extract more milk. He used a funnel, a bending straw, and bottle to make something that looked remarkably like a breast pump. I told him that such a thing existed and Googled a picture, but that he was far better than any machine at removing milk. He was chuffed on both accounts.
    Last edited by @llli*alphawoman; February 2nd, 2015 at 02:57 PM.

Week 2 update

Last week's taper went smoothly. I had a hormonal dip in supply by late week, but supply rebounded to regular levels once my body returned to homeostasis. I'm comfortable dropping a second pill this week to reduce my dose to 40mg/30mg/30mg this week. If all goes well, that will be a 17% drop in dose with no effect on supply. I'll take that!

DS is nursing more frequently than usual (maybe 10x/24 hours), but I think it's because he was watched by a sitter for two weeks in the mornings recently, for the first time in his life, and he's still reeling from me being away. And, so, we're doing extra snuggling and nursing.

Thank you all for following along and offering your support! It means so much to me, as I have nobody IRL to share this process with who commiserates.
    Last edited by @llli*alphawoman; February 2nd, 2015 at 02:59 PM.

That's so awesome!!!

Thanks mommal!

Update: Week 3/4

I had another hormonal dip in supply that extended from late Sunday to mid-Wednesday, so I delayed reducing my dose from 100mg to 90mg/day from Monday until Thursday, when I felt my supply had fully rebounded. I'm now taking 30mg 3x/day with no apparent loss of supply relative to 120mg/day, though the span between low milk hormonal days is shortening.

In hindsight, I might have been able to drop a pill a day or two earlier, as I'm seeing DS eat ravenously, so I suspect he's going through a growth spurt. Last night he drank from both sides 3 times between midnight and 9am, and the night before it was 4 times on both sides, with large helpings and lots of gulping. Then, during the day, he added an extra pre-nap meal and a cup of cow milk mixed with cream.

DS seems very content with nursing and is maintaining a high frequency during this growth spurt--probably 10-12 sessions per day. It feels good to have high frequency, high output days that coincide with him eating solids heartily and happily. On the hormonal low supply days, I just give him an extra meal and 1-2 cups of water and cow milk to fill the gap until supply rebounds.

If all goes well, I'll drop another pill next Thursday to a schedule of 30mg/30mg/20mg.
    Last edited by @llli*alphawoman; February 13th, 2015 at 03:35 PM.

Am so pleased it's going well so far!