Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hugs please-Tapering off domperidone at 3.25

Default Re: Hugs please-Tapering off domperidone at 3.25

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alphawoman View Post
    Silly as it sounds, nursing has been a retroactive source of control for me over a situation (birth) where I felt powerless. It allowed me in those early postpartum days to mother on my own terms. I don't want to have another major milestone taken away from me again. (So this is pre-emptive loss aversion.)

- If I'm really honest with myself, nursing has become a large part of my identity as a mother, and I'm reluctant to give up that part of myself, as well as the more obvious bittersweet aspect of DS growing up.
    I just wanted to say that I hugely identify with both of these issues. I truly understand exactly where you are coming from. So many of the struggles I had with mothering in the early days stemmed from the fact that I felt as though I "failed" at birthing my child in the way that I believed was best and the way that I had wanted to do so, and consequently so many of the ways I healed myself from that experience has been by successfully meeting all of my nursing goals.

I also just want to say that for me, I think my "crutch" was pumping. I think I pumped at work to maintain my supply longer than any other working mom I've ever met or heard of--I was TERRIFIED that my supply was going to just evaporate because of how sensitive it was for me during the first year. And I just refused to put myself in a situation where weaning was exacerbated by a choice *I* made (i.e., dropping my last pumping session at work). I was so stressed about about making the transition that I was literally sick with anxiety at work for the entire first week I dropped the pumping sessions. But...it all turned out just fine. I do have a pretty substantially lowered supply at this point, I am sure. But as it turns out, my lactivore? DOES NOT CARE! Her frequency did not shift even one iota when I dropped my work time pumping; and I would venture to guess that even if eliminating the domperidone does drop things off a bit for you, your own lactivore is probably going to be just as motivated to keep on keepin' on.

And FWIW, your husband sounds like a wonderful man.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

I don't know if this is applicable, but is the minipill an option for you? In our faith, most BC options are frowned up on but for nursing mothers, the minipill is almost never a problem.
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

Thanks tclynx! I think some of your well wishes have come through, because a wave of peace of mind has helped me calmly decide to move forward.

Domperidone is a wonderful option for mothers who need some support maintaining a nursing relationship. Definitely keep up your dose if it is supporting your desired level of lactation. At your daughter's age, it is, IMO, more important to keep up the nursing than to be drug free.

I will make a weekly post during the taper in this thread on my progress. I am hopeful that I will be able to support ~5 feeds a day off domperidone while resuming cycling. Let's see if my body agrees!

Thanks for sharing your story about your children maintaining nursing during pregnancy, anaduralia! Nursing through pregnancy is a great analog that I hadn't considered! I am feeling more reassured thanks to your post.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrssqueegy View Post
    I feel for you mama. You have already got great advice but I would like to add that I weaned from dom when my son was 22 months (also due to its effect on fertility, but we want to get pregnant) and we are still nursing at 27 months. I think my supply did go down but my son hasn't complained or changed his nursing habits in any way. I thought he would wean as well but there is no sign of that yet.
    You have me intrigued! Would you mind sharing your dose (am I right to understand you are no longer taking domperidone at all now?), your nursing frequency on and off domperidone, and the timeframe over which you tapered off the drug? How long after weaning, and at what nursing frequency, did your cycles return?

Reading your post literally let some of my stress melt away. I am so happy for you that you have been able to keep up nursing! (Good luck TTC!!! Sending my fertility your way! )Your story has given me a renewed confidence in my body's ability to maintain some supply for DS.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    I just wanted to say that I hugely identify with both of these issues. I truly understand exactly where you are coming from. So many of the struggles I had with mothering in the early days stemmed from the fact that I felt as though I "failed" at birthing my child in the way that I believed was best and the way that I had wanted to do so, and consequently so many of the ways I healed myself from that experience has been by successfully meeting all of my nursing goals.

I also just want to say that for me, I think my "crutch" was pumping. I think I pumped at work to maintain my supply longer than any other working mom I've ever met or heard of--I was TERRIFIED that my supply was going to just evaporate because of how sensitive it was for me during the first year. And I just refused to put myself in a situation where weaning was exacerbated by a choice *I* made (i.e., dropping my last pumping session at work). I was so stressed about about making the transition that I was literally sick with anxiety at work for the entire first week I dropped the pumping sessions. But...it all turned out just fine. I do have a pretty substantially lowered supply at this point, I am sure. But as it turns out, my lactivore? DOES NOT CARE! Her frequency did not shift even one iota when I dropped my work time pumping; and I would venture to guess that even if eliminating the domperidone does drop things off a bit for you, your own lactivore is probably going to be just as motivated to keep on keepin' on.

And FWIW, your husband sounds like a wonderful man.
    Thank you so much for everything you shared, sonogirl. It helps so much to get feedback and commiseration like yours. This decision has been so isolating IRL that it is a balm to my weary heart to be able to commiserate with other mamas who have gone through a similar process of tapering off a support for lactation.

I'm coming to appreciate that there are striking similarities between pregnant nursing mothers, mothers weaning from pumping, and mothers tapering off domperidone. I'm taking comfort in learning that these transitions can represent opportunities to consciously sustain the nursing relationship even after a lactation support has been removed. While the situational specifics might vary, the underlying challenge we grapple with is protecting our little ones' very real needs while managing the shifting trade-off between family members' needs.

My hope is that coming off the Dom will, in itself, be sufficient to allow my cycles to return. I'm hopeful that I will still be able to produce enough for DS to nurse 5-6 times a day. Even at times where he has consumed all the milk in my breasts, he tells me he likes to keep nursing even without milk. I think at this point, I need to take a leap of faith and just see what my body does. The lack of certainty, combined with knowing the decision is my doing, is the hardest part for me. As you said, it's hard to be the one to consciously make a call to reduce or eliminate a support that you know assists lactation. It feels like a betrayal of my DS (even when I rationally know it isn't.)

Mommal, you are a total doll. I think you will turn out to be right and, in the unlikely event that you aren't, I have no plan to hold you to your crow-eating promise (though, if you have a penchant for unusual game-bird-eating, who am I to stop you? )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ruchiccio View Post
    I don't know if this is applicable, but is the minipill an option for you? In our faith, most BC options are frowned up on but for nursing mothers, the minipill is almost never a problem.
    In my faith, natural family planning, broadly speaking, is the only form of birth control permitted.

Can I just say that you ladies are awesome? Really. I was feeling extremely unsure of my decision, mired in fear, and quite alone, and you have all given me so much love and reassurance. I love hearing everyone's stories about nursing prevailing in special circumstances. You're giving me the confidence to trust my body and my child to sustain this very important relationship. I am so grateful to all of you for your kindness and support at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alphawoman View Post
    You have me intrigued! Would you mind sharing your dose (am I right to understand you are no longer taking domperidone at all now?), your nursing frequency on and off domperidone, and the timeframe over which you tapered off the drug? How long after weaning, and at what nursing frequency, did your cycles return?

Reading your post literally let some of my stress melt away. I am so happy for you that you have been able to keep up nursing! (Good luck TTC!!! Sending my fertility your way! )Your story has given me a renewed confidence in my body's ability to maintain some supply for DS.
    I was on 30 mg three times a day when my son turned one. I weaned from pumping at work during the day at that time. We still nursed once in the morning, once after work, once before bed and once overnight during the week. On weekends he would also nurse a couple times during the day. Two months later (age 14 months) I was feeling much too engorged all the time so I weaned down to 10mg three times a day. I weaned one pill (10mg) per week, so very slowly. His nursing didn't change again for 4 more months (age 18 months), when he started STTN and didn't wake up for that one nighttime nurse. Around this time I had one single day of light flow but never a full period. I never bled again until I stopped the dom. At age 22 months I decided to wean the last 30 mg of domperidone so we could start TTC in a few months. Again I weaned one pill per week (took 3 weeks). Exactly 16 days after my last pill of dom, I got my first official post partum period. And I have had regular periods ever since with regular ovulation (I do BBT). My son (now 27 months) still nurses always before bed, and often in the morning and after work, but not always. I have traveled without him on 3 occasions since I stopped my dom and pumped once a day while away. I only get drops each time and never feel engorged which makes me think that I have very little milk left. But again, my son's nursing habits haven't really changed at all. He never complains about there being no milk and does have milk in his mouth and on his chin at times so I know there is still a bit left. How much, I have no idea, but for me, at this age it's not really about the nutrition, it's more about the comfort and bonding.

I hope my story can give you hope that you can still keep nursing after stopping the domperidone. I know I felt exactly the same way that you did, but we really wanted a second child so we chose to wean the dom even if it meant that my son would also wean. Luckily he hasn't and we are still here.