Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Hugs please-Tapering off domperidone at 3.25

Default Re: Hugs please-Tapering off domperidone at 3.25

Thanks Alpha and Reena.

I think I just discovered one major Drawback of taking the Med. If you get food poisoning the food has likely already left your stomach before your body realizes it needs to purge it, rather uncomfortable, sigh.

Default Re: Hugs please-Tapering off domperidone at 3.25

Hey OP and everyone else,

I'm jumping back on to add my experience with domperidone weaning. I began weaning very slowly since July, dropping 5 mgs (1/2 a pill) a week. I was taking 12 pills a day when I started and LO was 11 1/2 months old. LO just turned 16 months now. Everything was going good. I was down to 1/2 a pill in the morning, 1/2 a pill at night, and a whole pill midday (5mg,10mg,5mg). Over the course of a few days I dropped the half pills, and then continued on just 1 pill a day for about 3 days. I decided Friday I would not take any pills. I woke up with very low supply. I have cyclical supply dips, so I thought perhaps that's what it was. It was clear as the day progressed, this was the lowest I have ever gotten. On Saturday I called my IBCLC/LLL leader and we talked about options. Based on the lack of letdowns and what I could hand express, I figured LO was getting about a tablespoon. She still relies on my milk for much of her daily fluid intake, so this was rough for us both. The leader and I talked about waiting till Monday and seeing about DR doing a prolactin check. We talked about waiting it out for a few more days, possibly. I was very curious what my prolactin was at because I was not really having letdowns and could not feel any milk-filled avioli at all. Baby wasn't swallowing and her diapers were not every wet at all (she was also refusing to drink much water). I decided on Saturday that this happened too suddenly and we were not taking the lack of milk well, so I started back on Dr. Newman's recommendation of 90mgs a day. My #1 goal was to regain my supply. I felt letdowns while we dreamfed that night, and though today, Monday, my supply isn't 100%, I have milk now!! My second goal after my supply stabilizes, is to drop to a lower maintenance dose. At around 5 pills a day, my libido returned, the vaginal dryness ceased, and I lost 6 lbs with no changes in routine. Other side effects were minimized too, and I had plenty of milk! My daughter has a cold right now and she needs the milk this winter. Winter is a terrible time to wean!! My 3rd goal is to make it to her 2nd birthday (July) and potentially wean her then. But right now, she needs the milk more than I need off domperidone.

I was really hoping my body would make up for the lowered prolactin as I weaned. I never had my prolactin checked while on dom or otherwise, but my friend did while she took the meds, and her levels were 200 at like 4 months pp! After a year most women have levels around 35-40 for continued lactation. I am bummed mine appeared to drop so low without the meds. I wonder if there are other hormonal causes at play...