Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old twin not nursing

Default 9 month old twin not nursing

I'm growing increasingly more concerned over my son's nursing habits. He is 9 months old and nurses five times/day. At 7am he nurses for 1-3 minutes (I feel lucky for 3 minutes). Between 1030&1130, I'm blessed to get two minutes out of him--usually it's less than a minute. At 1pm (nap), he nurses again for about a min, then I nurse his twin while he falls asleep--I dream feed him once he's sleeping for about 5 minutes. IF I'm lucky, I dreamfeed him again at 4, if I'm unlucky I miss that window and am unable to nurse him at all between 4-5:30. I have the same bedtime routine as nap time routine for him. he is so disinterested in nursing, unlike his twin brother.

The kicker is that he also refuses a cup and bottle. And he isnt having enough wet diapers anymore. I'd be more than happy to pump exclusively for him but I don't know how to help him take a cup. And I don't have help from my husband until bedtime, so that's not an option for him to feed him.

I really really want to nurse my babies until at least their birthday, I've never heard of a baby weaning this early...he's not sick and doesn't seem to be coming down with anything either. I'm also always worried about this guy because he's about 4 lbs smaller than his brother. He was 15lbs at 6 months and I'm hoping he is 17 lbs now (haven't had our checkup quite yet). I'm just not sure what I can be doing for him.

I've tried nuk trainer and sippy cups, Gerber sippy cup, nuby sippy cup and some straw cups like lollacup and nuby...id so so so so so appreciate help!

Default Re: 9 month old twin not nursing

2 questions-

Is he eating a lot of solids?

Is he nursing overnight?

He sleeps from 7-7, I dreamfeed him at 1030. He does seem to like solids. 3oz of yogurt after 730am nursing with some oatmeal, sometimes he eats a lunch if I can get lunch to him before 1130 leaving time for the 1pm feeding to hopefully go better. Dinner is at 5 following a 430 nursing and he eats 1/4 avocado, 2-4 oz cottage cheese, 1/4 banana and some of whatever I'm eating.

I'm thinking about adding tablespoons of coconut oil to his diet.

He sleeps from 7-7, I dreamfeed him at 1030. He does seem to like solids. 3oz of yogurt after 730am nursing with some oatmeal, sometimes he eats a lunch if I can get lunch to him before 1130 leaving time for the 1pm feeding to hopefully go better. Dinner is at 5 following a 430 nursing and he eats 1/4 avocado, 2-4 oz cottage cheese, 1/4 banana and some of whatever I'm eating.

I'm thinking about adding tablespoons of coconut oil to his diet.

Okay, it sounds like he is actually eating quite a lot of solids for a 9 month old. Maybe enough to allow him to skip nursing sessions, so that he can go back to playing sooner- that's pretty common for babies in the latter part of the first year.

It sounds like you are doing really well with nursing him- you're offering frequently, you're getting a couple of sleep-time feedings in. If you can, I think I would try to shoehorn maybe one more nighttime feeding into the equation, and always offer to nurse both babies before the solids come out. Hopefully he'll get more interested in nursing and increase his frequency again... But you never know. If you aren't averse to pumping, I think putting some milk in a sippy cup is a great idea. No guarantees that he will take it- 9 month olds often don't have the mastery of a cup. You could also try offering him some in an open cup- you hold it, he drinks from it.

Does he imitate his twin? Maybe if he sees his brother drinking from a sippy/straw/open cup, he will be more inclined to try it himself?